SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
14,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From a fan's (not player's) perspective, who would you consider the main rival or rivals of Chicago's professional sports franchises and the colleges with a strong connection with Chicago.

I'm including (among others):

Cubs:
White Sox:
Bears:
Bulls:
Blackhawks:
Fire:

Northwestern:
Illinois:
Notre Dame:
UIC:
DePaul:
Loyola:
NIU:

For example, I would say the Cubs (fans) have the strongest rivalries with the Cardinals, White Sox, and Brewers. It is most intense with the Cards and Sox, but the longer Milw is in the NL Central, the stronger the Cubs-Brewers rivalry will get. Especially in a year like this one when the Brew Crew is playing so well.

·
Registered
381 Posts
From a fan's (not player's) perspective, who would you consider the main rival or rivals of Chicago's professional sports franchises and the colleges with a strong connection with Chicago.

I'm including (among others):

Cubs:
White Sox:
Bears:
Bulls:
Blackhawks:
Fire:

Northwestern:
Illinois:
Notre Dame:
UIC:
DePaul:
Loyola:
NIU:

For example, I would say the Cubs (fans) have the strongest rivalries with the Cardinals, White Sox, and Brewers. It is most intense with the Cards and Sox, but the longer Milw is in the NL Central, the stronger the Cubs-Brewers rivalry will get. Especially in a year like this one when the Brew Crew is playing so well.
In order of importance:
Cubs: Cards, Sox, Brewers
Bears: Packers, Lions
Bulls: Pistons, Pacers
Sox: Tigers, Cubs

Northwestern: Illinois
Illinois: Northwestern, Purdue
ND: USC, Michigan, Purdue

That's about all I got.

·
JoePa4Eva
287 Posts
White Sox: Cleveland Indians, Minnesota Twins, Detroit Tigers.
Cubs: St. Louis Cardinals, Milwaukee Brewers.
Bears: Green Bay Packers.
Bulls: Cleveland Cavaliers and Detroit Pistons,
Blackhawks: Only rival is Chief Illiniwek.

Northwestern: Why not bring UChi athletics back to the 1A level? Until that happens, Northwestern won't have a worthy rival and they should just play Stanford in every sport every year.
Illinois: Iowa, Indiana.
Notre Dame: Most of ND's rivals seem to be married to other rivalries.
DePaul: Marquette without a doubt.

Chicago's professional sports franchises and the colleges with a strong connection with Chicago.
Does ND have much of a connection with Chicago? Or is it just the nearest college football powerhouse?

·
Banned
14,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does ND have much of a connection with Chicago? Or is it just the nearest college football powerhouse?
HUGE. Of the BCS schools, ND, Illini, NU dominate (the press attempts to give NIU coverage). Actually, Nittany, in football, NU tends to dominate U of I, certainly over the last ten years. So I wouldn't be that quick to dismiss the Cats.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If Illinois had a powerhouse football program, would Chicagoans support a program in Indiana as one of their own?
Support for ND would decline, but not substantially. ND will get support in any city (oustide of New Englandk, due to Boston College) with a large Catholic population--especially one so close to South Bend. Michigan and Ohio St. obviously have huge football legacies, yet you find decent pockets of ND support in Detroit and Cleveland. In Illinois, it would only decline to Cleveland and Detroit those levels if U of I had a multi-generational history of football excellence. If your grandfather was a Notre Dame working mills on the South Side or in Gary, chances are, you're one too.

As for NU, I question how strongly they're supported here. When they were going to Rose Bowls a few years back, support was tremendous, but I think a lot of that stemmed from the fact that they were so bad for so long. They were the anti-Big 10 school within the Big 10. They were the likeable little guys. I don't think this has too much staying power--I can walk up and get a good ticket to an NU game in Evanston, assuming the away team's fans didn't buy all of them. It's not unusual to see more or at least similar numbers of Wisconsin fans at NU home games when the two teams play.

·
C.B.P.
1,481 Posts
Cubs: Cards, Sox
White Sox: Cubs, Tribe
Bears: Pack
Bulls: Pistons, Knicks
Blackhawks: Redwings, Blues
Fire: D.C. United, L.A. Galaxy

·
JoePa4Eva
287 Posts
ND will get support in any city (oustide of New Englandk, due to Boston College) with a large Catholic population--especially one so close to South Bend.
Gotta credit ND for catering to pretty much every demographic.

1. Notre Dame was named after a French cathedral, appeals to French-Americans & Canadians.
2. Fighting Irish mascot (which replaced the Maroons, like UChi) appeals to Irishmen everywhere. Unlike Chief Illiniwek, this is considered PC.
3. Norwegian-born Knute Rockne, who ranks among the 5 greatest CFB coaches of all time, appeals to Scandinavians.
4. Catholic orientation appeals to the largest religious following in the world, Christianity.
5. With rivalries against USC, Michigan, Penn State, the Armed Forces, ND inherits fan support from UCLA, Ohio State, Pitt and Al-Qaeda. ;-)

Does that pretty much cover their reach?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Cubs: St. Louis Cardinals
Milwaukee Brewers
Chicago White Sox

Sox: Detroit Tigers
Chicago Cubs

Bears: Green Bay Packers
Miami Dolphins(to an extent)

Bulls: Detriot Pistons
Indiana Pacers
Miami Heat
New York Knicks

Illinios: Indiana
Iowa
Northwestern
Missouri

DePaul: Marquette
Notre Dame

Notre Dame: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY TOOOOOO Many name in all sports. ND rivals differ greatly in sports:

Football: USC
Mich
I know I am missing more

Basketball: Marquette
DePaul

Softball: DePaul and ND have a fierce rivalry going on.

ND has a lot of different rival schools when it comes to sports.

·
JoePa4Eva
287 Posts
Bears have one rival and only one rival: Pack.
Sox seem to have one true rival: Tribe.
Cavs fans continue to complain of the pain inflicted by the Bulls from the Jordan years. Then again, the same holds true for Detroit and New York. I hear Knicks fans talking about the Bulls and MJ almost every day.
ND has a lot of different rival schools when it comes to sports.
Does ND have a true rival like UNC/Duke, OSU/UM, Alabama/Auburn, Penn State/Pitt, Stanford/Cal, etc...? If they joined the B10, which game would be their rivalry game?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Does ND have a true rival like UNC/Duke, OSU/UM, Alabama/Auburn, Penn State/Pitt, Stanford/Cal, etc...? If they joined the B10, which game would be their rivalry game?
ND is a strange situation, because it's football and then everything else.

For football, it's Michigan and USC.

These rivalries don't carry over into other sports, however. For basketball, they've played these teams more than any others: Butler, DePaul, Indiana, Marquette, Michigan St., and Northwestern. They only play Marquette and DePaul annually today.

They'll never join the B10 due to their preference for a national rather than more regional football schedule. If they did though, I'd say Michigan is the logical rival in football due to the existing history between the two programs, proximity, and prominent status of both. For basketball, it would be Indiana. They've played NU more from the B10, but Indiana has always got the best of them. From IU's perspective, I don't think they'd consider ND a huge rival due to long-standing series with Purdue and Kentucky. For them it would be a secondary rivalry like U of I, Ohio St., and Michigan.

You won't see a natural rival in-state, because Purdue already has Indiana, or even locally across all sports (Michigan-Michigan St.)

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Gotta credit ND for catering to pretty much every demographic.

1. Notre Dame was named after a French cathedral, appeals to French-Americans & Canadians.
2. Fighting Irish mascot (which replaced the Maroons, like UChi) appeals to Irishmen everywhere. Unlike Chief Illiniwek, this is considered PC.
3. Norwegian-born Knute Rockne, who ranks among the 5 greatest CFB coaches of all time, appeals to Scandinavians.
4. Catholic orientation appeals to the largest religious following in the world, Christianity.
5. With rivalries against USC, Michigan, Penn State, the Armed Forces, ND inherits fan support from UCLA, Ohio State, Pitt and Al-Qaeda. ;-)

Does that pretty much cover their reach?
This is a great post.

·
Banned
14,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If Illinois had a powerhouse football program, would Chicagoans support a program in Indiana as one of their own?
Illinois's football program has no bearing on ND support in Chicago. Chicago has traditionally been a huge Catholic city. It is by far the closest major city to what is arguably the most famous football program in the nation. Even without the Irish in question, Chicago's huge population and strong alumni base from all Big Ten schools has made it less rah! rah! Illini (in football) compared to how Detroit feels about U-M, Milw about UW, or Cleveland about OSU.

·
My Mind Has Left My Body
22,042 Posts
Cubs: - Cards.....White Sox
White Sox - Twins - Indians - Cubs
Bears: - Packers
Bulls: - At times Pistons. No consistent rivalry though.
Blackhawks: - themselves
Fire: - New England?

Northwestern: - Illinois
Illinois: - Indiana - Northwestern
Notre Dame: - Purdue - Michigan St - Michigan
UIC: - De Paul? Loyola?
DePaul: - Marquette?
Loyola: - Depaul?
NIU: - should be Southern but play in differant conferances

·
Registered
471 Posts
^^^ For UIC I would say Loyola, but not DePaul. DePaul rarely ever plays UIC or Loyola. DePaul has more of a Catholic Academic rivalry with Loyola than Athletics. UIC and DePaul have no rivalry whatsoever academically or in athletics. DePaul and UIC are like apples and oranges, they both are universities, and both in Chicago, similarities stop right there. Loyola has much more in common in terms, of Religious affiliation, student body, history, etc with DePaul.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.