Registered
111 Posts
Height: Unknown
Floor count: 27
Construction end: 2009
Architect: Koo & Associates
Developer: ECD Company, Inc.

Website

From the website: "Floors 6-20 will include 238 beautifully appointed “standard” hotel rooms. On floors 21-26, ECD plans to sell 48 hotel-condo units with studio, one and two bedroom floor plans available."

·
Registered
116 Posts
It was sold by the Joffrey Ballet Company to a hotel company which I think is Marriott. Joffrey Ballet will be occupying a couple of floors in MoMo. I do know that they plan on bringing the old Chicago restaraunt Fritzels back on the first floor. No rendering or anything is available to my knowledge. The substation should remain since it is active, similiar to B37.

The place was vacant except for Govnors Pub (moving a block east to Wabash), Taco Bell/KFC, and a Dunkin Donuts. It was a horrible building because it attracted a lot of pigeons and had a lot of bums just hangin around that corner for one reason or another.

Another note is that the OTB across the street is suppossed to move to River North area and the Chicago Theatre wants to put a restaurant in its place.

All in all great news for State Street.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Thank God for OTB to move out of the State Street. OTB's presence brings no value or vibrancy to that street. It does not fit well to the State Street. It is better off for OTB to be at the River North where some shopping-hating people can watch horse races in tv and gamble away their money while their loved ones shopped on North Michigan Ave.

·
Expert
6,905 Posts
So it's a Marriott? Ugh...I don't have high expectations for this one

www.ecdco.com

Chicago’s historic corner of State and Lake is the site of ECD’s newest hotel project. With demolition already under way, we plan to break ground on the new development in June, 2006. The Hotel will include a high-end restaurant and lounge, a spa and gym open to the public and for use of the hotel guests, as well as 50 hotel-condos on the top five floors with studio, one bedroom, and two bedroom floor-plans available.

The site is located just steps from the Chicago River, two blocks from Millennium Park, and is part of the ongoing reconstruction of State Street. The "State St. revolution" is highlighted by the City of Chicago and Mills Corporation's 108 North State—a massive mixed use development that will include airport check-in to both of Chicago's airports, a retail center, corporate center, hotel and condo development—ECD's new hotel is just a block and a half away.

Throughout the 1940's, 50's, and 60's, the corner of State and Lake was anchored by Fritzel's the historic supper club frequented by Chicago's elite. ECD is proud to announce that we have trademarked the name Fritzel's, and are planning to bring the iconic Chicago supper club back to State and Lake.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Yes, Chicago has not been lucky in recent years with hotel construction. I think of Homewood Suites in the North Bridge development, or the Hilton Garden Inn of the same development that was a half-baked Prairie style development. If they had actually detailed that thing rather than leave the raw concrete, it could have been masterful.

·
Expert
6,905 Posts
Sofitel is the only recent hotel to come to mind that had an excellent design. Chicago has gotten screwed over by all the other brands when you compare what is built here vs. what is built everywhere else.

·
Chicago's #1 Fan
2,334 Posts
I just called the number on the website and got a little information on the project.

It's being designed by Jackie Koo of Koo & Associates.

The building will be 28 stories tall and is roughly 300'

If I find out anything else, I will post it here.

·
Registered
819 Posts
OK... Jackie Koo. Please excuse my ignorance, but who the hell is that and why doesn't he or she have a website!!!

After doing some more webbrowsing, I found more info. on this Jackie Koo that made me much more optimistic about this project.

Koo apparently worked for Destefano and Partners until recently. I generally think their work is competent, if not always great.

Jackie Koo, Adjunct Assistant Professor

Master of Architecture, University of Illinois at Chicago
Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy, University of Chicago

Architect of Record, De Stefano and Partners, Ltd.
Selected Projects:
20 West Kinzie Hotel, Chicago
Capital Development Board New State Emergency Operations Center, Springfield, IL
Chicago Housing Authority
-ABLA Homes Redevelopment
-Westhaven Park Phase 1
City Inn Feasibility Study, Chicago
City Park Corporate Center Lobby, Lincolnshire, IL
ECD Company Offices, Lincolnshire, IL
Fisher Island Feasibility Study, Fisher Island, FL
Fort Sheridan Condominium, Town of Fort Sheridan, IL
Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites, Chicago
Private Residence, Highland Park, IL
Radisson Hotel Feasibility Study, Little Rock, AK
RiverView Residences, Chicago
Residences at RiverBend, Chicago

·
Registered
819 Posts
Koo has already been an architect of record on another Marriott in Chicago. This is fairly new I think, but doesn't look it. I quite like the design:

Sorry to post for those of you who already know this (e.g. BVictor, who I'm sure is aware of this stuff since Koo is an adjunct professor at IIT)

·
Live from the Loop
1,578 Posts
I think its hard to make a judgemenet based on the Fairfield... that building is absolutely tiny and only 8-10 stories if memory serves. Completely sandwiched into 20-someodd feet of frontage on Ontario.

Luckily, the bottom line is that she could vomit on the site at State and Lake, put a glass box around it and it'd still be an improvement over what was there.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts