SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Friends,

I will be traveling to Chicago on June 27th-29th for a Business trip. I was wondering if anyone is willing to give me a tour around Chicago; if not that's fine. But can I get some information about the best attractions in Chicago and the cheapest and easiest transportation? Also I love night views, where are the best places I can capture Chicago's skyline and take night pictures? I will be bringing my Canon EOS 20D and would like to capture some great pictures.

·
C.B.P.
1,188 Posts
Adler Planetarium offers some of the best day and night views of the city. But get there before 11:00 p.m. as the park is closed at that time.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Peppermint, check out the Chicago Cultural Center (at the corner of Randolph St/Michigan Ave). It has alot of good info on Chicago, maps, and maybe some restaurant coupons.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright thank you all for your answers which I really love and appreciate. So is the best way for transportation by bus or by train?

·
Formerly InTheLoop
485 Posts
^Depending on where you are going... Most of what you will want to see can be reached by train.
As for getting information on what to do and see, the Cultural Center on the corner of Randolph Street and Michigan Avenue has a huge amount of free information on tours and such. They also have coupon books that can help save bucks on many different activities.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
I told him to buy the one-day pass of unlimit Cta usage of Bus + train for $5.

Use both bus + train, train have the shorter time to get to a distance, than the same distance the bus can go there longer, because of Stops and traffic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyhow I have these places which I'm planning to visit. Can ya'll tell me which is good and which is not good. And which ones should I go first so it won't be a hassle for me to get to another?

Adler Planetarium
Shedd Aqarium
Sears Tower
Lincoln Park
Navy Pier
Magnificent Mile
Michegan Avenue
John Hancock Tower
Grant Park
Mellennium Park

·
Registered
185 Posts
^ That looks like a good line-up of things to do. Let me make some revisions to it if you don't mind.

-The Planetarium sucks, but you can still go there if you'd like :) It's a nice place to walk around though and view the skyline.
-Shedd Aquarium, excellent
-Sears Tower, visit the skydeck during the day, nothing like being in the world's tallest building (I refuse to accept), beware of long lines, and if it's foggy or if the clouds are low, it's not worth it. Otherwise, a clear day is good.
-Lincoln Park, take the free trolley there, I will talk more about that later
-Navy Pier, eh, if you really want to, it's a tourist trap, but go there at night on wednesday, they have an awesome fireworks show throughout the summer every wednesday and saturday night
-The Mag/Mile and michigan avenue are the same thing, check it out
-The Hancock, DON'T go to the observatory, take a friend with you to the signature lounge at NIGHT, I won't need to say more
-Grant park, ditch it, go to millennium (it's right next to it)
-Millennium Park, a must see
-Try a comedy club at night or a play in one of the theaters if you're into that stuff, for more entertainment info, see www.metromix.com

Also, forget the buses and trains like everyone's saying, take the FREE trolleys. if you will be visiting those places during the day (when will you be doing business if you want to do all that??), the trolleys run from 10 am to 6 pm, they will take you to ALL of those places for free during the day, provided that your hotel is downtown or near enough. And if your hotel is in downtown, take cabs at night, they are plentiful and are obviously better than public transportation (seriously guys, don't waste this person's time, I'm sure peppermint has seen buses and trains before)

A lot of people here will chastise me for saying that and will go nuts that I didn't mention neighborhoods, and with only 2-3 days in chicago you may not be able to, but why don't you try this out. The Free Trolleys also go to Pilsen, a mexican neighborhood, and Chinatown, which sucks compared to San Fran's, but check that out too.

That's a lot to do for two days, have fun!

·
C.B.P.
1,188 Posts
I would still advise you take the CTA day pass. It's the best $5 you'll ever spend. The trolleys are packed, infrequent, have long lines at the stops, don't have a/c and will often leave you stranded. I tell you this as a former driver/tour guide for Chicago Trolley Co. I know how they operate the free trolleys, and lets just say it's not pretty. But what do you expect from a company that also operates it's own double decker bus pay tours (which I must admit are excellent and I do recommend). If you want reliable and convenient transportation use CTA or the Bus tour. The free trolleys aren't all they're cracked up to be.

·
Registered
562 Posts
For a cheap but good theater experience, go to Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind, a performance put on every Friday, Saturday and Sunday in the Andersonville neighborhood on the North Side. It's thirty plays in sixty minutes; kind of modernist theater. Not for everyone, but check out their website (search on Google) and if it seems like something you'd like, you'd probably love it.

I also strongly, STRONGLY suggest you try one of the following for food:

Indian food on Devon Avenue in Rogers Park. Just walk a block and pick whichever restaurant looks good to you.

Ethiopian food on Broadway in Edgewater. I recommend Ethiopian Diamond. Really, truly excellent.

As for skyline views, the peninsula around the Adler Planetarium is probably the best. Some places in Lincoln Park (the park, not the neighborhood) also offer great views from the north; Montrose Harbor in the same park, but further north, sticks out into Lake Michigan significantly and so offers a virtually unobstructed view of all of downtown.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well anyways guys I respect all your answers. I love the advice ya'll give me. To balance it out and try out the experience I will go one day bus and one day trolley. I would like to take cabs but my stupid business meeting requires me to take a Lincoln Town Car or a Limousine and that's pretty expensive right there. So i'm trying to save as much as I can and at the same time have some excitement and fun. Hmm kinda sad I am actually going on this trip alone. But anyhow I will visit all those things ya'll listed to me, because I think Chicago will be a long life time experience for me.

hmm and chiphile what do you mean by go with a friend to the observatory. I mean won't be having a friend along.

And I'm really glad there are fireworks shows in the summer, because I love taking pictures of fireworks. It's glad to know! :)

And Oshkeoto.. Thanks for the locations of the skylines, I will visit all of them for the magnificent view of Chicago's skyline.

Eh Laotoso I love double-deckered buses, they don't have that in San Francisco (which sucks). I've ridden on them in Hong Kong and it's a great experience.

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
these guys all gave great options . just in case you wanted more variaty to chose from heres some other options:

-wriglyfield;cubs game and surrounding areas for a great game and/or good nightlife bar scene(take a walk from wrigly all the way to belmont on clark and that should give you great show of a busseling neiborhood in chicago outside downtown)
-dearborn/division area has some more of that also as well as Wells/north areas
- def. go to somwere like Uno's to get the Chicago deep dish pizza experience
-Lincoln Park Zoo is free if u like that kind of thing.
-if you like old school jazz/swing/big band go to the Green Mill-Al Capones old hangout, and youll feel like your steping into the 1920's , an experience you cant find anywere else in the world
-that goes for a place like Buddie Guys too, if you like blues
-you might want to take a strole down South State Street
-great architectural tours are given on the river tours . there are several tour companies so pick one.its a great relaxing option if you just want to sit back and stare at our beautifull city for a while ,while some dude explains interesting facts about the skyline and its variouse buildings.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
go to the mesume where that day is free, like the shed aquarium is like monday, which the sci+Industry is thurday.

chiphile said:
-The Hancock, DON'T go to the observatory, take a friend with you to the signature lounge at NIGHT, I won't need to say more
I complete agree... the observatory is a waste of money, why not go a floor higher with drinks for the same price(depend on what drink you like).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hydrogen said:
These are all great suggestions. I'll be out of town for my graduation party during those dates. But I hope you have a great trip, Peppermint.

Thank You Hydrogen. I hope you have a great time at your graduation too... Congratulations by the way! :cheers1:

Thank You all for your advise.. With all your advise i'm sure i'll have a great time at Chicago.
:grouphug:

Eh yeah Destcity, speaking of ballgame I really want to goto the Cubs game on one of those dates.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Peppermint:

I don't know if this helps as a guide that uses comparison, but let's give it a shot:

Twins Peaks/Sears Tower: the best high up view

SF Shop Ctr/Water Tower Place, 900 North Michigan, Chicago Place, North Bridge: with Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's (which you'll get soon), with others (Field's, L&T, Saks, as well)

Market Street/State Street (although State outclasses it)

Powell-Hyde Cable Car/Brown line el: best views from public transporation

the Haight/Old Town: although Old Town lost its psychodelic mood years ago

Pier 39/Navy Pier: Navy Pier, while commerical is less commercial as it is publicaly owned

SBC/Wrigley: the best of the old and the best of the new

Union Square/Michigan Avenue: a bit more extensive on the Mag Mile

Golden Gate Park/Lincoln Park: lots of see and keep you busy

Pacific Heights/Gold Coast: you'll love the quality of the grand old homes

Union Street/Armitage: delightful urbn shopping

Ocean Beach/Oak Street Beach: Oak Street beach is actually used

Stonestown/Old Orchard: if you truly want a close in suburban shopping center!!

Fairmont/Drake: old style elegance in a hotel!

Fort Point/Adler Planetarium: best views on water looking over skyline

YB Gardens/Millennium Park: I think you'll find Mil Park much more dramatic

BART/CTA: you win this one hands down

Embarcadero Center/Illinois Center: lots of tall, bland buildings

Ferry Building/Old Water Tower: civic treasures

Noe Valley/Wicker Park: urban revival!

Castro/LakeView: where the boys are

Sunset/Jefferson Park: middle class!

Berkeley/Evanston: you want collegiate?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
edsg25 said:
Peppermint:

I don't know if this helps as a guide that uses comparison, but let's give it a shot:

Twins Peaks/Sears Tower: the best high up view

SF Shop Ctr/Water Tower Place, 900 North Michigan, Chicago Place, North Bridge: with Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's (which you'll get soon), with others (Field's, L&T, Saks, as well)

Market Street/State Street (although State outclasses it)

Powell-Hyde Cable Car/Brown line el: best views from public transporation

the Haight/Old Town: although Old Town lost its psychodelic mood years ago

Pier 39/Navy Pier: Navy Pier, while commerical is less commercial as it is publicaly owned

SBC/Wrigley: the best of the old and the best of the new

Union Square/Michigan Avenue: a bit more extensive on the Mag Mile

Golden Gate Park/Lincoln Park: lots of see and keep you busy

Pacific Heights/Gold Coast: you'll love the quality of the grand old homes

Union Street/Armitage: delightful urbn shopping

Ocean Beach/Oak Street Beach: Oak Street beach is actually used

Stonestown/Old Orchard: if you truly want a close in suburban shopping center!!

Fairmont/Drake: old style elegance in a hotel!

Fort Point/Adler Planetarium: best views on water looking over skyline

YB Gardens/Millennium Park: I think you'll find Mil Park much more dramatic

BART/CTA: you win this one hands down

Embarcadero Center/Illinois Center: lots of tall, bland buildings

Ferry Building/Old Water Tower: civic treasures

Noe Valley/Wicker Park: urban revival!

Castro/LakeView: where the boys are

Sunset/Jefferson Park: middle class!

Berkeley/Evanston: you want collegiate?

Of course it helps.. .It's a lovely comparison chart, wow you sure know San Francisco real well.. It helps me because I know of San Francisco real well, and I've been through those places that you've listed.

·
Formerly InTheLoop
485 Posts
It may not be as tall, but I think the view from the Hancock is far superior to the Sears Tower.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
Because the John Hancock is located in the middle north of the downtown area, while Sears Tower is like 3 miles away from the lake... its location isnt as good as the JHC.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts