SkyscraperCity banner

1281 - 1297 of 1297 Posts

·
Banished from SSP
531 Posts
Looking at the photo above of the glass treatment on the hotel bump-out portion, with its trapezoidal mullions mimicking the frustrums, it occurred to me an opportunity to make the blow-through and mechanical floors fit and flow better with the overall aesthetic of the building was lost. Sometimes trying to hide or ignore blatant imperfections is the wrong approach. Maybe it's actually better to acknowledge and highlight - even accentuate - them.

Instead of the straight black gridwork on the blow-through floors, why didn't they think of using the same design element of trapezoidal patterns there, in stainless steel or a light powder-coated finish (whatever those mullions are made of)? It would have made the floors appear more as an original design element instead of a last-minute design change. Same pattern could even have been overlaid or painted onto the elevator core on the blow-through floors, then washed with dim light at night. And why not overlay the ugly black mechanical louvers with the same pattern in the same color and proportions? Contrasted against the black louvers, it would again look like an intentional design element instead of value-engineered mediocrity.

I wish I were good at photoshop and could try something like this. Maybe someone who IS good at it could give it a try?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Those mechanical bands are aggressive!!!
Weirdly enough, I don't see this skyscraper in any major American city.
Too simple for NY yet not simple enough for NY
Over designed for Chicago
Too pretty for LA

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Too pretty for LA
I actually think this design would fit perfectly with some of the other, attention-grabby East Asian futurism LA has going on (Wilshire Grand, Oceanwide, etc.)

I do think it’s a little showy to be considered “classic” Chicago, but hey, it’s we’re in the 21st century; we don’t have to use the beauty standards of the 1920s-60s as our benchmarks forever. I’m glad the developers took an interesting swing, and I look forward to seeing this in person one of these days.

·
The-Real-Link!!
906 Posts
I'm really surprised they chose not to integrate the blow-through floors in a less jarring fashion but at least the black bands add some standard flow in a building style. It's certainly still a neat look with the glass banding from a distance!

1281 - 1297 of 1297 Posts