Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
seeing as it is now summertime...I thought a small tour of Chicagoland beaches might be nice...

Almost a Century of Freshwater Frolicking...

Clarendon Beach Chicago, 1909

starting from the North...

Kenosha Beaches-

Illinois State Beach/
Waukegan Beaches

Lake Forest

Highland Park

Glencoe (famous for a scene in Ferris Bueller's Day Off)

Wilmette

Evanston

heading south into Chicago next......

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
from the North Side...

Hollywood Beach

Montrose Avenue Beach

North Avenue Beach

Oak Street
before air conditioning...1925

Ohio Street Beach

Jackson Park

Rainbow Beach

·
Registered
385 Posts
^^^^Oh my God, the lake is freezing! It's actually not bad at all though once you are in it for a couple of minutes. The hardest part is getting in, which is an ordeal (and protecting your privates from the icy waters), but once you are in, if you stay in for a few minutes, it becomes very comfortable, I suppose your body adjusts itself to the water climate. It's not that bad, but like I said, GETTING IN THE WATER, really sucks.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
by late Luly...and August and September....

the temps can be quite Mediterranean.....

·
Registered
52,552 Posts
not so defrent like in some areas of the Atlantic, the water looks cold but after you enter in the water the body adjusts itself to temperature :yes::eek:kay:

·
My Mind Has Left My Body
7,266 Posts
Great shots...that 1925 Oak St. photo is insane.

·
Registered
865 Posts
As of Sunday, June 3rd, the Chicago lakeshore temperature was 61F (16C). That's only a degree or two colder than Santa Monica, CA's water temperature right now. By the time August roles around, coastal water temperatures along the southern portion of Lake Michigan are generally in the low to mid 70s F (21C to 24C). That actually isn't too bad at all and certainly warmer than southern California water temperatures (which generally average in the upper 60s F (19C to 20C) to maybe near 70F (21c) all summer/fall).

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
double post

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
a few from the South Shore...

and then....winter will return..........

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
A few more....

The lake looks almost tropical in the summer. The water is usually in the mid 70s during the summer and early fall. I've been in it many many times and it's certainly not cold.

I love the contrast in this photo....not a beach I know - but close enough. Gives you a feel of summer along the shore.

I really love Oak Street Beach the way it's just smashed down there among all the tall buildings. It's fun to just sit out and watch the world go by...

The past few years they've been putting palm trees up around the beaches. Here's Oak Street Beach from the past few weeks....

*I didn't take these pictures, not trying to steal anyone's thunder - just love them all

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
a few more

cold looking water

and a little more history.... from 1910

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
a few more..

Here's a good shot of the Indiana Dunes....for the entire 10 plus km's in this picture, there are AMAZING views of Chicago's skyline on clear days. Quite a hike, trains stations from Millenium Park are located at Dunes Park and Beverly Shores...

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
getting hot in chi-town...

from a few days ago...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Aaron W said:
As of Sunday, June 3rd, the Chicago lakeshore temperature was 61F (16C). That's only a degree or two colder than Santa Monica, CA's water temperature right now. By the time August roles around, coastal water temperatures along the southern portion of Lake Michigan are generally in the low to mid 70s F (21C to 24C). That actually isn't too bad at all and certainly warmer than southern California water temperatures (which generally average in the upper 60s F (19C to 20C) to maybe near 70F (21c) all summer/fall).

The water temp is in the mid 70s when it's warm? Damn...............here in Alabama we have beaches along the Gulf of Mexico, i don't remember it ever getting below 85 F during the summertime..............

If it was 75 that would be cold. I can't imagine 60 degree water, I'd freeze to death. Nonetheless, those beaches look incredible. Those are probably the only beaches that I'd actually get in the water in though - down here, you have sharks, jellyfish, etc to contend with, so I would never get in. Since Lake Michigan is freshwater (obviously, since it's a lake) I wouldn't have to worry about shit like that.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Insom-

That's exactly how I feel. I was spoiled by the freshwater beaches of the Midwest.

When my folks took me and my sis to Florida for the first time, we were unimpressed, disturbed a tad grossed out.

I will always find the ocean more than a bit disgusting......for which I happily blame Lake Michigan......

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Chicago has a bit of Rio going n in the summer, an a lot of Moscow going on in the winter.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts