SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just moved to the Seattle area and also having lived in Chicago back in 98 for a year I have found subtle similarities in the two. First both cities downtowns sit directly on the water, with the entire skylines basically straddling the waterfront. Both cities residential highrise clusters seem to extend northward from the business core. They both have express type lanes on their busy north south freeways. The south side of both cities are both very ethnically diverse in comparison to the Northsides. And and to top it off both cities tallest buildings are fantastic "black" superscrapers. Of course there are many differences, but I just help but to notice these striking similarities.

·
Registered
721 Posts
liat91 said:
Having just moved to the Seattle area and also having lived in Chicago back in 98 for a year I have found subtle similarities in the two. First both cities downtowns sit directly on the water, with the entire skylines basically straddling the waterfront. Both cities residential highrise clusters seem to extend northward from the business core. They both have express type lanes on their busy north south freeways. The south side of both cities are both very ethnically diverse in comparison to the Northsides. And and to top it off both cities tallest buildings are fantastic "black" superscrapers. Of course there are many differences, but I just help but to notice these striking similarities.

I always felt that Portland reminded me more of a little Chicago...what with PDX's downtown parks and Terra Cotta white buildings. Seattle always reminded me of a mini-NYC. Portland's mindset seemed more progressive Midwestern....Seattle....bubbling NYC...especially in the arts and theater communities.

And note, some of the most non-diverse neighborhoods in Chicago are located on the Southside. 95% African Neighborhoods are not uncommon and they are not diverse. The North Side....well great article about Devon street...on the north side of town...and huge SW Asian population. Plus new China-town, and Korea Town.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-0505040256may04,1,3934152.story?coll=chi-homepagebiz-utl

·
Registered
562 Posts
Odd comparison; I've visited Seattle and thought it was a very different-looking, different-feeling city.

And I'm going to second Chicago3rd on the South Side neighborhood thing; an all-black neighborhood is not diverse. Of course, that's not the only kind of neighborhood on the South Side, and places like Hyde Park, Bridgeport and the Near South Side are fairly diverse--but the real Meccas of ethnic diversity like Uptown, Albany Park or Rogers Park are all on the North Side.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts