Guangzhou - Wuhan
Guangzhou-Zhuhai
Under construction:
Guangzhou-Guizhou
Guangzhou-Nanning
Guangzhou-Maoming
Guangzhou-Shenzhen
Shenzhen-Xiamen

Guangzhou-Longhua shall open on 8th of August. What is the progress state of Longhua-Xiamen high speed railway, and when shall it open for traffic?

·
Infrastructure
11,256 Posts
I am visiting China next week.

My question is that is it possible to get a CRH ticket (Guangzhou South to Wuhan) just hours before departure?

Another question is that my search on sto.cn suggests that the seat is not available (I am searching for next week departure), as it was indicated. Does the result on sto.cn actually accurate in suggesting the available seats on that train?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I am visiting China next week.

My question is that is it possible to get a CRH ticket (Guangzhou South to Wuhan) just hours before departure?

Another question is that my search on sto.cn suggests that the seat is not available (I am searching for next week departure), as it was indicated. Does the result on sto.cn actually accurate in suggesting the available seats on that train?
It depends on which line are you planning to ride and what time. For most PDLs you can get a ticket 15 to 20 minutes before departure unless it's peak traveling time (early Monday morning or Friday afternoon).

·
Infrastructure
11,256 Posts
It depends on which line are you planning to ride and what time. For most PDLs you can get a ticket 15 to 20 minutes before departure unless it's peak traveling time (early Monday morning or Friday afternoon).
What if it's on Thursday (Guangzhou South to Wuhan)?

Strangely, on sto.cn, tickets on next week Thursday were not available.

Though I am a foreigner and won't be able to buy ticket from sto.cn, but I wonder, is it a reliable indicator of seat availability on high speed rail?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
What if it's on Thursday (Guangzhou South to Wuhan)?

Strangely, on sto.cn, tickets on next week Thursday were not available.

Though I am a foreigner and won't be able to buy ticket from sto.cn, but I wonder, is it a reliable indicator of seat availability on high speed rail?
I believe you can read Chinese, so I recommend you use the official ticketing/info website by MoR:

http://www.12306.cn/mormhweb/kyfw/ypcx/

The thing is, currently you can only book a train ticket within 10 days, so seat information is only available on the website up to July 6th.

·
Infrastructure
11,256 Posts
I believe you can read Chinese, so I recommend you use the official ticketing/info website by MoR:

http://www.12306.cn/mormhweb/kyfw/ypcx/

The thing is, currently you can only book a train ticket within 10 days, so seat information is only available on the website up to July 6th.
Thanks a lot for the link!

From the official MoR website, there are lots of available seats on that day! That's a relief to me :)

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
China to open Beijing-Shanghai high speed rail link

By Peter Foster

12:49PM BST 27 Jun 2011

Our journey into the future starts even before boarding the sleek, white Chinese bullet-train that will speed the 820 miles to Shanghai — that’s almost as far as Land’s End to John O’Groats — in just four hours and 48 minutes.

Beijing’s South Railway Station is a marvel of modernity, a vaulting glass dome propped up on steel stilts that looks like a flying saucer has just landed from outer space. Compared to the average British railway station, that’s where we might as well be.

China has more than built 300 ultra-modern railway stations during a decade-long railway building boom; grand symbols of its rising economic power, just as the great London stations of Euston, Paddington and Kings Cross were for the Victorians.

It’s 9am and, with soft whine of the giant electric motor, we’re off; gliding out of Beijing South where the platform is so clean the guard’s reflection shines in the polished granite. A digital sign in the carriage shows our steadily building speed in kilometers per hour… 48kph… 180kph… 247kph….

Seven minutes after departure and we reach cruising speed of 300kph (186mph) ...
read more

btw, the video in the link is pretty good.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
nice pictures! it just show the scale of this massive engineering project.

btw, what happened to these trains? i thought they clean the train with workers when it arrive at the terminal stations. Maybe they only clean one side? (the side facing the platform). I think it is a really bad idea to pick pure white for a train and you have to constantly keep it clean.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
^^CRH380AL and CRH380BL have already served several other lines for a couple of months.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Beijing-Shanghai HSR to start operation in a few hours, very exciting.

btw, thanks yaohua2000 for posting these great pics, otherwise most ppl won't be able to see them. the photographer is quite good at taking railway and train pics.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Beijing-Shanghai HSR to start operation in a few hours, very exciting.

btw, thanks yaohua2000 for posting these great pics, otherwise most ppl won't be able to see them. the photographer is quite good at taking railway and train pics.
I will also tweet on the first train, follow me if you are interested.

·
Mainland Sea & Sky
6,242 Posts
HERE COMES HIGH-SPEED ......
CHINANEWS---BEIJING, June 30 -- The first commercial bullet train left Shanghai and Beijing at 3 :00 (BJT) p.m. Thursday, beginning a one-day tale of two cities on the Beijing-Shanghai High-Speed Railway.
The 1,318-kilometer link, starting from Beijing and ending at Shanghai, chains together the country's prosperous Pan-Bohai and Yangtze River Delta economic zones, cutting the single-way time between the two cities to under five hours from two days half a century ago.

2561 - 2580 of 13640 Posts