SkyscraperCity Forum banner
41 - 60 of 735 Posts

· Registered
3,782 Posts
^Wrong. The WBC will show you otherwise. Baseball is pretty popular throughout the Americas and eastern Asia. Second to only soccer in some nations and most popular in others. Its simply not a British empire sport, though it is gaining popularity for the Aussies apparently. The same way that non-British Empire nations aren't that into Cricket.

And if world popularity is the reason to not be an olympic sport, then 75% of the competitions in the Olympics should go away. There are very few that are huge world wide. Soccer and basketball are about it. Athletics don't even register in many nations. Many sports are

· Stadium Fan
1,767 Posts
rantanamo said:
And if world popularity is the reason to not be an olympic sport, then 75% of the competitions in the Olympics should go away. There are very few that are huge world wide. Soccer and basketball are about it. Athletics don't even register in many nations. Many sports are
Athletics is probably the biggest sport in the world when you really think about it. In some countries such as African or Carribean countries athletics are all that they have. Not to mention it is the easiest sport in the world to train for since all you need is a good patch of land and you can just start running.

IMO the only (Summer)Olympic sports should be:

Soccer
Basketball
Athletics
Swimming and Diving
Cycling
Field Hockey(actually very popular world wide)
Wrestling
Rowing
Water Polo
Volleyball
Pentathlon
Triathlon
Tennis
Gymnastics(take rythmic gymnastics out)
Boxing
Badminton

Everything else is either not played widely enough around the world (baseball) or isn't a real 'sport'(Equestrian, Archery, Rythmic Gymnastics, etc...)

· Banned
881 Posts
Zorba said:
IMO the only (Summer)Olympic sports should be:

Soccer
Basketball
Athletics
Swimming and Diving
Cycling
Field Hockey(actually very popular world wide)
Wrestling
Rowing
Water Polo
Volleyball
Pentathlon
Triathlon
Tennis
Gymnastics(take rythmic gymnastics out)
Boxing
Badminton
I thought golf should be re-instated, it's pretty global.

How about tug-of-war too? Oh man that'd be sweet! :D

· Registered
3,782 Posts
I could take a lot of that stuff off of that list. Some you mention are industrialized nation or more western world sports. If you really want to break that list down how about:

Soccer
Basketball
Athletics
Field Hockey
Wrestling
Volleyball
Triathlon
Boxing

the rest may be global, but global in the sense of wealthier nations play them. Those other sports are not much different than baseball, though baseball is legit. Is it not true that the London games only dropped baseball and softball because of the added cost of the venues. I believe that's what the press release said. Somehow that turned into an argument as to why baseball shouldn't be an olympic sport.

· Banned
1,128 Posts
I'm sure China has some of the most popular sports in the world simply due to population, same goes for India. That doesn't mean 'Xtreme Elephant Racing' or 'Chinese Black Magic Fighting' should be included in the Olympics!!

· Registered
9,207 Posts
BobDaBuilder said:
^^^^^^^^

They can cancel building the softball and baseball fields. The two sports are off the Olympic menu from now on.

Maybe they can be adjusted for cricket which is bigger in Asia.
Rubbish

Remember, it's Beijing Olympics, not London yet! We Chinese almost got softball gold medal in Atlanta (we got silver by 1 pt shorter to host US team), and we plan to get it in our home turf.

cricket? what's that rubbish? not a single Chinese has any interests in that.

And baseball is very popular in east asia, and plus N. America and central America. It will attract many fans from Japan, Korea and Taiwan and Ameicans to Beijing.

· Premium Member
40,408 Posts
Zorba said:
I really like the other stadium designs besides the aquatic center and Olympic Stadium which I dont like.
I like the velodrome and badmiton stadiums the most.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR BEIJING 2008!!!!!

As for the mascots................................

Sydney 2000, Athens 2004, Torino 2006, and Beijing 2008 all had/will have terrible mascots.lol.

· Registered
9,207 Posts
IF any event would be removed from Beijing Olympics, first it definitely will be equestrian. Hey, we Chinese believe Olympics is the competition for human beings, not for other animals. equestrian should go to Circus Olympics.

That's why the only event that China has never participated in all previous Olympic games is equestrian, and equestrian will be held in Hong Kong in Beijing 2008 game.

· Banned
1,128 Posts
General Huo said:
IF any event would be removed from Beijing Olympics, first it definitely will be equestrian. Hey, we Chinese believe Olympics is the competition for human beings, not for other animals. equestrian should go to Circus Olympics.

That's why the only event that China has never participated in all previous Olympic games is equestrian, and equestrian will be held in Hong Kong in Beijing 2008 game.
What is China's problem with animals? They don't seem to like them very much!!! I prefer animals to humans!!

I agree cricket is rubbish, it's so sloowwwwwwwwwww.

· Registered
9,207 Posts
Its AlL gUUd said:
Cricket has more followers then Baseball, just ask the Indians
LOL, who needs to ask Indians for Olympics event. Haven't they won any Olympic gold medals for how long years?

BTW, China alone has much larger population than India, 300 mln more. And adding US, Japan, Korea, Chinese Taipei, Canada, Central America, It is much much larger than the cricket population.

· Registered
9,207 Posts
bubomb said:
What is China's problem with animals? They don't seem to like them very much!!! I prefer animals to humans!!
So you should go to circus or zoo, not to watch Olympics.

China has no problem with animals. We know where they belong to.

· Banned
1,128 Posts
General Huo said:
So you should go to circus or zoo, not to watch Olympics.

China has no problem with animals. We know where they belong to.
I think you do. Do you have any pets? I have 4, 2 dogs and 2 cats, they are my pride and joy!! If you try and eat them then I will have to take you down!!

· Registered
9,207 Posts
bubomb said:
I think you do. Do you have any pets? I have 4, 2 dogs and 2 cats, they are my pride and joy!! If you try and eat them then I will have to take you down!!
I do not eat dogs and cats, because I think they are not taste good. I eat pork, beef, chicken, duck, fish, and any animals that taste well.

I love animals, i visit zoos and circus many times.

And I don't care whether you raise any pets, no matter dogs or cats or mice or cows. you got that?!!!

41 - 60 of 735 Posts