SkyscraperCity banner

601 - 620 of 652 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
New Constructions - Lu'an & Ledu

Two new ones to finish off the week. Ledu is a particularly funky looking design.

LU'AN CITY SPORTS CENTER
City: Lu'an
Region: Anhui
Coordinates: 31.771323N,116.468177E
Capacity: 30,000
Likely Completion: 2020

HAIDONG CITY SPORTS CENTER
City: Ledu County, Haidong City
Region: Qinghai
Coordinates: 36.480401N,102.350793E
Capacity: 20,000

Reactions: will101 and 2mchris

·
Registered
67 Posts
Stadium Lookalikes

Something a bit different for today. It's pretty common knowledge that China is impartial to a cheap knockoff of most things, from everyday products to replicas of famous world monuments such as the Eiffel Tower in the Hangzhou suburb of Tianducheng.
Here are six stadiums that have a remarkable similar appearance to other world stadiums.

Reactions: will101

·
Registered
959 Posts
^^ The Nantong Stadium looks very similar to the National Stadium of Singapore too :lol:

But I think we can safely say that, within the next 1 or 2 decades, China could be a another country which can host the FIFA WC any day.

·
Registered
67 Posts
^^ The Nantong Stadium looks very similar to the National Stadium of Singapore too :lol:

But I think we can safely say that, within the next 1 or 2 decades, China could be a another country which can host the FIFA WC any day.
Yeah, I was tossing up between Oita and Singapore as to which one to compare it against!!

I think it will be a lot sooner when China can host a FIFA WC at the drop of a hat. In fact, they are more than ready now with an absoloute plethora of stadiums and cities to choose from. Granted, they don't have many "football" only venues available, but the stadiums they can call on have the capacity and the aesthetics/designs are unbelievable

Reactions: Rokto14

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
china will likely get one of next two world cups to be given. I wonder how many track and field stadiums will be included in the bid! that configuration seems to be standard in china.
I assume final will be played in birds nest and thats fine, but the rest will be very very interesting!

·
Registered
67 Posts
If they are to be awarded one of the next WC's then i'd be pretty certain they would build a whole heap of new football specific stadiums. They are already doing this for the 2023 Asian Cup, so they will have a good solid base to bid with. Similar to how the USA went about their bid, I reckon that China will use these stadiums built for the Asian Cup in their bid, and put in existing stadiums for the remaining requirements (maybe one or two exceptions). This will mean that their bid will be given a higher rating (no risk in delays for new stadiums, e.g. Brazil 2014). But I would then guess that they would construct football venues in these cities which can be used if they are built in time (a classic example is the new L.A. Stadium ... not in the U.S. bid book, instead the Rose Bowl was).
All up, I reckon you will see all football-specific venues at a China WC, with probably only two exceptions - the National Stadium in Beijing, and the Hangzhou Sports Park Stadium, both new and modern, and both seating 80,000.

Reactions: Rokto14

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
is there a thread for hangzhou stadium? the one I found has hardly any picture. the only decent pictures may be found in this thread!

·
0 Posts
Even then, the World Cup is a different beast to the Asian Cup. Maybe Bird's Nest at a stretch, but I'd expect to see rectangular stadiums otherwise.

·
Registered
67 Posts
is there a thread for hangzhou stadium? the one I found has hardly any picture. the only decent pictures may be found in this thread!
Yeah not sure! Here are five pics for you

·
Registered
67 Posts
Even then, the World Cup is a different beast to the Asian Cup. Maybe Bird's Nest at a stretch, but I'd expect to see rectangular stadiums otherwise.
I agree, they have the money and the resources to build brand new ones, and in very quick time if needed. I have a feeling that the venues being built for the Asian Cup are a stepping stone to a WC bid because there isn't really any other reason to build them - all the nominated cities have sufficient and very modern stadiums to comfortably host the Asian Cup. The prime examples here are Xi'an, Dalian and Wuhan. Xi'an is well into the construction of a 60,000 seater, Dalian opened a 61,000 seater in 2013, and Wuhan opened a 30,000 seater this year. The one city I find a little amusing is Chengdu - they were renovating the city's main stadium for the 2021 Summer Universiade, and after ripping up the turf in the centre of the stadium they discovered ruins of a lost 1,000 year temple! So work has halted on that project, and a new football stadium in the north is now well under construction!

http://www.xinhuanet.com//english/2017-06/04/c_136338711.htm

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I agree, they have the money and the resources to build brand new ones, and in very quick time if needed. I have a feeling that the venues being built for the Asian Cup are a stepping stone to a WC bid because there isn't really any other reason to build them - all the nominated cities have sufficient and very modern stadiums to comfortably host the Asian Cup. The prime examples here are Xi'an, Dalian and Wuhan. Xi'an is well into the construction of a 60,000 seater, Dalian opened a 61,000 seater in 2013, and Wuhan opened a 30,000 seater this year. The one city I find a little amusing is Chengdu - they were renovating the city's main stadium for the 2021 Summer Universiade, and after ripping up the turf in the centre of the stadium they discovered ruins of a lost 1,000 year temple! So work has halted on that project, and a new football stadium in the north is now well under construction!

http://www.xinhuanet.com//english/2017-06/04/c_136338711.htm
we saw that stadiums do not mean a lot in case of 2026, if world cup in a particular country is expected to create enough cash FIFA will accept anything, no roofs, viewing obstructions, stadiums in the middle of nowhere, athletic tracks and anything else!

of course, 2026 world cup had no real competition, maybe in 2030 or 2034 it might look different and china might decide to go with football stadiums ... who knows...

·
Registered
959 Posts
we saw that stadiums do not mean a lot in case of 2026, if world cup in a particular country is expected to create enough cash FIFA will accept anything, no roofs, viewing obstructions, stadiums in the middle of nowhere, athletic tracks and anything else!

of course, 2026 world cup had no real competition, maybe in 2030 or 2034 it might look different and china might decide to go with football stadiums ... who knows...
The bidding process of the 2030/2034 WC should be within the next 3-4 years. By that time China will have a lot more stadiums to play with to put in their bid book. That too the football-only stadiums. 2034 might be China's as I don't see other countries beating them in any way because if 2030 is held in the UK, no UEFA countries will bid for 2034 WC. Then if any CAF/CONMEBOL countries were to bid, they will most likely lose to China.

At least 50% of the stadiums that CAF/CONMEBOL are going to include in their bid will need to be renovated or newly build stadiums. That will be a negative point against the China bid as they already have stadiums built already.

I am not against CAF/CONMEBOL countries hosting the WC, I am just stating what will happen.

·
Registered
67 Posts
As a hypothetical, if China was asked by FIFA to host a WC tomorrow, I have identified 55 suitable stadiums, across 47 different cities that would meet a minimum capacity of 40,000, noting that this list doesn't include stadiums under construction or being planned.

1. Guangzhou, Guangdong: Aoti Main Stadium (Cap: 80,000)
2. Beijing, Beijing: Beijing National Stadium (Cap: 80,000)
3. Zhengzhou, Henan: Zhengzhou Olympic Sports Center (Cap: 80,000)
4. Hangzhou, Zhejiang: Hangzhou Sports Park Stadium (Cap: 80,000)
5. Beijing, Beijing: Workers Stadium (Cap: 66,000)
6. Taiyuan, Shanxi: Shanxi Sports Centre Stadium (Cap: 62,000)
7. Hefei, Anhui: Hefei Olympic Sports Centre Stadium (Cap: 61,000)
8. Nanjing, Jiangsu: Nanjing Olympic Sports Centre Stadium (Cap: 61,000)
9. Dalian, Liaoning: Dalian Sports Centre Stadium (Cap: 61,000)
10. Shenzhen, Guangdong: Shenzhen Universiade Sports Centre Stadium (Cap: 60,000)
11. Nanning, Guangxi: Guangxi Sports Centre Stadium (Cap: 60,000)
12. Ordos, Inner Mongolia: Ordos Sports Centre Stadium (Cap: 60,000)
13. Fuzhou, Fujian: Haixia Olympic Stadium (Cap: 60,000)
14. Jinan, Shandong: Jinan Olympic Sports Centre Stadium (Cap: 60,000)
15. Shijiazhuang, Hebei: Hebei District Olympic Sports Center (Cap: 60,000)
16. Shenyang, Liaoning: Shenyang Olympic Sports Centre Stadium (Cap: 60,000)
17. Qingdao, Shandong: Qingdao Olympic Sports Center (Cap: 60,000)
18. Guangzhou, Guangdong: Tianhe Stadium (Cap: 58,000)
19. Nanchang, Jiangxi: Nanchang Olympic Sports Centre Stadium (Cap: 58,000)
20. Chongqing, Chongqing: Chongqing Olympic Sports Centre Stadium (Cap: 58,000)
21. Shanghai, Shanghai: Shanghai Stadium (Cap: 56,000)
22. Changsha, Hunan: Helong Stadium (Cap: 55,000)
23. Wuhan, Hubei: Wuhan Sports Centre Stadium (Cap: 54,357)
24. Tianjin, Tianjin: Tianjin Olympic Centre Stadium (Cap: 54,000)
25. Huainan, Anhui: Huainan Sports Stadium (Cap: 52,080)
26. Guiyang, Guizhou: Guiyang Olympic Sports Centre Stadium (Cap: 52,000)
27. Hangzhou, Zhejiang: Yellow Dragon Sports Centre Stadium (Cap: 52,000)
28. Hohhot, Inner Mongolia: Hohhot City Stadium (Cap: 51,000)
29. Nanchang, Jiangxi: Jiangxi Olympic Sports Centre Stadium (Cap: 50,000)
30. Urumqi, Xinjiang: Ninomiya Stadium (Cap: 50,000)
31. Xi'an, Shaanxi: Shaanxi iRENA (Cap: 50,000)
32. Harbin, Heilongjiang: Harbin Sports City Centre Stadium (Cap: 48,000)
33. Zhengzhou, Henan: Henan Provincial Sports Centre Stadium (Cap: 48,000)
34. Qingdao, Shandong: Qingdao Guoxin Stadium (Cap: 45,000)
35. Weifang, Shandong: Weifang Olympic Sports Centre Stadium (Cap: 45,000)
36. Zibo, Shandong: Zibo City Sports Centre Stadium (Cap: 45,000)
37. Suzhou, Jiangsu: Suzhou Industrial Park Sports Center (Cap: 45,000)
38. Yantai, Shandong: Yantai Sports Park Stadium (Cap: 45,000)
39. Jinan, Shandong: Shandong Provincial Sports Centre Stadium (Cap: 43,000)
40. Jinzhou, Liaoning: Jinzhou Binhai Sports Center (Cap: 43,000)
41. Zhuzhou, Hunan: Zhuzhou Stadium (Cap: 42,740)
42. Taizhou, Zhejiang: Taizhou Sports Centre Stadium (Cap: 40,000)
43. Kunming, Yunnan: Kunming Tuodong Sports Centre (Cap: 40,000)
44. Xining, Qinghai: Xining Stadium (Cap: 40,000)
45. Shenzhen, Guangdong: Bao'an Stadium (Cap: 40,000)
46. Anshan, Liaoning: Anshan Sports Centre Stadium (Cap: 40,000)
47. Huzhou, Zhejiang: Huzhou Olympic Stadium (Cap: 40,000)
48. Xianyang, Shaanxi: Xianyang Olympic Sports Center (Cap: 40,000)
49. Haikou, Hainan: Wuyuanhe Olympic Sports Stadium (Cap: 40,000)
50. Zhanjiang, Guangdong: Zhanjiang Olympic Main Stadium (Cap: 40,000)
51. Yichang, Hubei: Yichang Olympic Sports Center (Cap: 40,000)
52. Anqing, Anhui: Anqing Sports Centre Stadium (Cap: 40,000)
53. Huizhou, Guangdong: Huizhou Olympic Stadium (Cap: 40,000)
54. Shaoxing, Zhejiang: China Steel Structure Shaoxing Stadium (Cap: 40,000)
55. Wuhu, Anhui: Wuhu Olympic Stadium (Cap: 40,000)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
cool thing! btw, I have been to China several times and not only in Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen, but I never heard of most of those cities :colgate:

do you know how many of those stadiums are in football configuration and how many with athletic track?

·
Registered
67 Posts
cool thing! btw, I have been to China several times and not only in Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen, but I never heard of most of those cities :colgate:

do you know how many of those stadiums are in football configuration and how many with athletic track?
The closest to China I've been is the north of Vietnam! I sorta first gained interest with stadiums with those in the U.S, and then a few years back I was playing around with Google Earth and zooming in on cities in China and was amazed by the scale and design of them over there, and have since collated a tad over 1,000!

To answer your question, unfortunately every single one of those on the list is a multi-purpose with an athletic track. They are all very modern looking, with some pretty outrageous designs amongst them (Check out Fuzhou's stadium and sports halls that looks like a person, Ordos' "wooden" stadium, and Haikou's depiction of a wave! - see pics below) The largest football-specific configured stadium currently is the TEDA Football Stadium in Tianjin with a capacity of 37,000. Check out an earlier post of mine that has info on the major current football-only stadiums.

There are, however, a few either under construction or planned, mainly for the 2023 Asian Cup, although not all capacities haven't yet been determined. Shanghai and Chengdu are currently under construction, with Chongqing, Dalian and Wuhan planning to build new ones as well. Xi'an and Suzhou (more specifically, Kunshan - halfway between Suzhou & Shanghai) have also been listed in the successful Asian Cup bid with "new stadiums", however I suspect that these two will be renovations of existing venues (the profile pics in the bid book show existing stadiums in these cities), and hopefully it means they will remove the athletics tracks and convert them to rectangular.

·
Registered
67 Posts
New Constructions - Wuyuan & Chuzhou

A couple more new constructions

WUYUAN COUNTY STADIUM
City: Wuyuan
Region: Jiangxi
Coordinates: 29.271396N,117.868775E
Capacity: 12,000

CHUZHOU OLYMPIC SPORTS CENTER
City: Chuzhou
Region: Anhui
Coordinates: 32.228512N,118.35918E
Capacity: 40,000
Likely Completion: 2021

Reactions: 2mchris

·
Registered
823 Posts
china will likely get one of next two world cups to be given. I wonder how many track and field stadiums will be included in the bid! that configuration seems to be standard in china.
I assume final will be played in birds nest and thats fine, but the rest will be very very interesting!
I hate track and field stadiums for football. I hope china don't get it with the stadiums they now have.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I hate track and field stadiums for football. I hope china don't get it with the stadiums they now have.
FIFA will go where the biggest moeny is, and that is China. We'll find out about stadiums when the bid book is published, we are still far away from that, several years at least!
Noone knows what FIFA may arrange with them ... anything is possible!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have decided I'd make available the stadium data I have collected over several years (rather than keep it for my own amusement!!). To start with I have included a link in my signature for a PDF containing stadiums in China under construction, and I will eventually add others such as existing stadia etc. I will periodically update these with new additions.
I hope people enjoy, and if you have any corrections or additions then let me know!

Reactions: Rokto14 and ElvisBC
601 - 620 of 652 Posts