SkyscraperCity banner

621 - 640 of 652 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have U.S. stadiums documented like I do with China. I've always had a deep interest in U.S. stadia, but I guess the ease of getting information online and no language barrier compared to China meant that I never put anything together.

I've uploaded the next lot of Chinese stadiums, these with capacities between 20k & 40k. Please note that there are 240 in this file, and therefore it is much larger (~14mb).

·
18,351 Posts

Works will soon start to build an entirely new Shanghai International Gymnastic Center after the previous one was demolished in late 2018.

The new center will be a stadium complex with three floors above the ground and four below.

It will be able to hold a maximum of 5,611 spectators and around 515 cars.

The first and second floors above the ground will house an indoor stadium while a number of game courts will be on the third floor.

A fitness center and office space will be available on the lower ground floor 1 and 2. A parking lot, equipment and admin rooms will be on the lower ground floor 3 and 4.

The new center will be able to host higher level international sports events as well as serve as a major exercise site for locals.
http://english.shcn.gov.cn/art/2020/1/8/art_1140_553352.html

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have U.S. stadiums documented like I do with China. I've always had a deep interest in U.S. stadia, but I guess the ease of getting information online and no language barrier compared to China meant that I never put anything together.

I've uploaded the next lot of Chinese stadiums, these with capacities between 20k & 40k. Please note that there are 240 in this file, and therefore it is much larger (~14mb).
Can you do the same with Chinese indoor arenas, i think it would be amazing!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Can you do the same with Chinese indoor arenas, i think it would be amazing!
I've thought about it, it will be a lot of work! A lot of the stadiums on my database are found using Google Earth, and then searching the internet for details. Stadiums are easy to spot - indoor arenas are a lot tougher!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I know that Guangzhou isn't among 10 cities of the China which will host the Asian Cup in 2023. After this groundbreaking ceremony, can there be the chance to see also Guangzhou and this fantastic stadium for that important event in China?
Might be running to close for it to be included for 2023. Plus, the capacity of nearly 100,000 might be a little too big for the Asian Cup - it's probably too big for the Chinese Super League as well! I suspect it would be the showpiece for a future World Cup bid, although the earliest they could bid under current rules is for 2034, by which time it would be 10+ years old.

Reactions: Rokto14

·
Registered
959 Posts
Might be running to close for it to be included for 2023. Plus, the capacity of nearly 100,000 might be a little too big for the Asian Cup - it's probably too big for the Chinese Super League as well! I suspect it would be the showpiece for a future World Cup bid, although the earliest they could bid under current rules is for 2034, by which time it would be 10+ years old.
FIFA can always change its rules provided if a WC in China can produce loads of profit for FIFA themselves. Or another situation can be FIFA gives China a chance to do a test bid for 2030 WC but FIFA will not choose China. China will learn from the test bid and do a full bid for 2034 WC.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Unless Covid 20-25 wipes them out I am absolutely sure China will not only get World Cup 2030 or 2034 but also build all true football stadiums for that occasion. Perhaps they might include Bird‘s Nest due to its iconic status, but apart from that I expect to see stadiums without race tracks. Guangzhou monster or whatever else!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Unless Covid 20-25 wipes them out I am absolutely sure China will not only get World Cup 2030 or 2034 but also build all true football stadiums for that occasion. Perhaps they might include Bird‘s Nest due to its iconic status, but apart from that I expect to see stadiums without race tracks. Guangzhou monster or whatever else!
I absolutely agree. A lot of countries will be economically stuffed after COVID. I suspect FIFA will change the rules, again!! If China was to get this WC it is almost certain all the stadiums will be football specific, whether brand new, or refurbished. China would want to make sure everything is the "best of the best" - at least from a television audience perspective. For that reason I reckon the Bird's Nest wouldn't be included - they would probably want to leave that as an athletic venue and legacy of two Olympic Games (summer & winter). I'd say they'd either build a new football venue, or refurbish an existing stadium - possibly the Worker's Stadium, which is probably the most centrally located in Beijing, or knock down Xiannongtan Stadium which is only about 1.5km from Beijin South Railway Station which is the largest in the city, and connects other cities in China via high speed rail. Also a possibility to knock down and rebuild the Olympic Sports Center, a smaller stadium almost next door to the Bird's Nest, and utilise the existing transport options in the area.
As for the rest of the country, there are already many plans or constructions underway for new football stadiums across the country.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Up there with the largest (currently) in the country at 80,000

621 - 640 of 652 Posts