SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
Wow, just wow. Brings back memories. Some scenes still feel incredibly familiar.
its familiar to me too. Society changes have already happened before 90s but it' during 90s and beyond when China's appearance was enormaously changed.

·
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
4,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wonder how it was experiencing these 20 years of growth.
Today I see so many wealthy people who drive around in Mercedez and Bmw's. 10 years ago they were very few private car on the road.

How did these people get wealthy so fast? Over a night? Business owners? Real estate? Because they are so many maybe one third of the population that are really wealthy there has to be a fairly common answer to this question. I am curious because i am fascinated by the growth.

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
^^ just one example, apart from the wage increase, if you've been through 90s and had somewhere to live in Shanghai then, you are at least millionaire now by owning your apartment(s).

·
Registered
922 Posts
Shanghai in 1999... can anyone believe that there were only 2 subway lines in operation? The fact that back then, the subway was more of a novelty than the transportation backbone of the city. Today, if you shut down the Shanghai metro, the city would grind to a halt. That's mind boggling.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Here is a video of Changsha from 1993, you can hear my mom and I talk in the background. The city had so much more trees back then, too bad they got chopped off to make more lanes on the roads.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts