Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Lord of the Ring
887 Posts
i really wonder if it's really worthwhile to spend all that money on designing and building fancy looking libraries. i mean, good libraries should just have a great collection of books and good lending policies, what's the point of spending on the money on the looks of the
library instead of spending the money on the books ... :(

·
Snowboarding -> Surfing
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes, it's typical Chinese thinking style. nothing against China but have to state the truth, having seen many magnificent-looking houses with empty-walls inside in Guangdong rurals, many people pay more attention to their reputation rather than personal enhancement.

anyway, I like both of the design, the first design is books piled up. the 2nd one is book wall and a Chinese character "之". if the design can attract more people to go to libraries to learn, I would say the design money is not totally wasted.

·
My Heart is with Beijing.
1,737 Posts
hkia said:
but not the Tianjing one.
Nanjing?
Anyways, I like Beijing's a lot. Good to know the lost deposit fee I paid for National Library Membership Card when I was in Beijing finally has a project to spend on. :D

·
Shenzhenese
777 Posts
New Shenzhen Library

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=9349416#post9349416
THE NEW building of Shenzhen Library has completed and opened to the public in mid July, 2006. It covers an area of 29,612 square meters and has a total floor space of 49,589 square meters. Nearly 800 million yuan has been invested into its construction, making it the most expensive modern library across the country. It is designed as an intelligentized one, with all books in reading areas open shelved and Internet access widely spread. It accommodates a collection of 4 million volumes, and is equipped with 2,500 seats and 3,000 nodes accessing to the Internet.

·
Shenzhenese
777 Posts
Shenzhen Library

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=9349416#post9349416
THE NEW building of Shenzhen Library has completed and opened to the public in mid July, 2006. It covers an area of 29,612 square meters and has a total floor space of 49,589 square meters. Nearly 800 million yuan has been invested into its construction, making it the most expensive modern library across the country. It is designed as an intelligentized one, with all books in reading areas open shelved and Internet access widely spread. It accommodates a collection of 4 million volumes, and is equipped with 2,500 seats and 3,000 nodes accessing to the Internet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Even though this is a newly built building on the inside it looks like it was built in the 1970s with the white tiled floor:

The inside reminds me of an old hospital built in the 1970s with the timber furniture, the black seats and the tiled floors.

On the outside this building is totally ugly and I think the designers were trying way too hard to be different. But really, whether a building is nice or not is really a test of time. Is this going to be:

1. a building that people will grow and get used to and like over time? or
2. a building that in 5 to 10 years time people will be thinking "what an eyesore"? Like how we look back on the 1970s brutalist architecture today and say "what an eyesore"!

I think it is going to be the later.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The inside looks cheap. Look at the dark lines between the tiles, the light colored wood desks, and the white flimsy shelves...

The only things I like are the red/glass staircases, and the yard.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.