Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Banned
1,274 Posts
We have a big grudge about US's foreign policy of "human right" and "democracy". We feel that US simply uses "human right" and "democracy" to screw other countries, especially China. With regard to this, Falun Gong is a very good example. I can tell you that Falun Gong is disguisting in the eyes of ordinary Chinese. Because US is so enthusiastic about using "human right" and "democracy" leverage against China, now the US is becaming more and more disguisting!

We sincerely hope that US respects the oppinion of the majority Chinse people (right now we are okay with our authoritarian gov't), and stays away from Dalai lama or those Taiwan independence activists. Because all of these are essentially doomed, but they are offending us.

·
Banned
12 Posts
according to MY opinion, U.S is the ONLY country in the planet that 99% Chinese DO think it's indeed better than China,currently and potentially. And the ONLY country that Chinese think it will NEVER be able to catch up.

·
Registered
322 Posts
stevenli said:
according to MY opinion, U.S is the ONLY country in the planet that 99% Chinese DO think it's indeed better than China,currently and potentially. And the ONLY country that Chinese think it will NEVER be able to catch up.
Chinese don't think that way. Maybe you do, but you are not representative of all the Chinese people. It's silly to think any country will stay on the top forever indeed...

·
Registered
381 Posts
I like usa or american culture in some aspects:Education and science level;The flexible Social Structure,

and some aspects I really hate:
Americans are always really ignorant about other nations real condition,culture and history,but they consider themselves always right.
And the usa government always repeats the disgusting,homiletic ,hackneyed and stereotyped expressions .

USA always claim"American Interest",but how about other nations' interest?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
ChicagoUrbanlife said:
What do you make or think of my country, the U.S.?

Love to hear some thoughts.

The question is too generalized and a little vague. You should have categorized it a little.

Were you asking them about the American government in relation to China or perhaps the world?

Were you asking them about America vis-a-vis American people?

Were you asking them about their opinion on US economy?

Or all of the above including all other extra-knowledge?

·
Registered
381 Posts
stevenli said:
It's just your opinion.Plz NEVER try to"represent" all chinese people.This is naive.

The history of USA is just about 200 years.It is really a short time in human history.So many empires established and soon collapsed .Do you remember Genghis khan?I don't think any nation can keep ahead forever.This is the rule of world.

and we never call it"catch up",for china,it's just back .

·
WoyaoDaJb
932 Posts
Im a chinese and this is only my own opinion based on what ive seen, feel free to argue if you disagree with me, but just remember to keep this as a discussion and not argument.
US people are very hard working, everyone strives to make as much money as possible which is a result of one of the most capitalism economy. But many of them are very cocky and up themselves, and this is not just chinese feeling, i live in NZ and people feels the same.
US itself is a very rich(which comes with poor people correspondingly). powerful, democratic and beautiful country. The fact that most of US is liveable land and its rich in resourse and has vast coastline and great natural diversity gave US a big head start and helped US to became the only superpower on earth.
BUT the US is using various means to ensure it stays as the only superpower even if sometimes it has to commit injustice(which is although evil but understandable, any country will try to ensure its place if they are the dominating country on earth).Such as the war on irag, when the 911 had no proven link with sudam and even if there is, no country has right to interfer with other countrys business what so ever, and their excuse of them having weapon of mass destruction is even more ridculous, not only did they not find any, but even if there is, iraq has every right to produce them. According to the US rule book, any country with weapon of mass destruction should be brought down, then why dont they justify why did US made them in the first place and that reason could just as well be used for any other country. Just why couldnt people percieve the iran making nuclear weapon as an act of self defense, just what right does the US have to determine whos the bad guy and whos the good guy. BUT OF COURSE, bush is perfectly aware if these hypocricy but all the big corps are driving him to take control of the oil supply in that region. Wheres the so called freedom and justice which was suppose to be the very foundation of the US now? Also the US government is trying to create bad image of china by spreading our faults in human rights and not being a democratic country. I have 2 reason against this 1 we are indeed turning more democratic now, but at a slow speed as chinas population is so big and if we just suddenly adopt domocracy, the country would be in total chaos and so we need a centralised government to take control at the moment, we are not going to be as dumb as the russian, look at them, they did what i just said and they are in a even worse shape than before, we, however will take it slowly.2 Is democracy really the best way to run a society? not really, the ancient greeks only ranked democracy the 5th best way to run a society. The reason is that the people in the society are basically placed into this pyramid, with the most uneducated people at the bottom(which consist of most people in society) and the educated average middle class people in the middle and the wise, genius at the top but with very few of them. So if total democracy do occour, those people at the bottom will vote as well and they are stupid and short sighted therefore they will vote for stupid thing, while the wise, elite of the society has less influense. Thats why the china in the tang dynasty flourished because the king itself is wise and uncorrupted and not what described by the americans the dark, evil, world. The people had no problems because they werent anymore able than the king, so they let the king took over.
But the elite people in the american society and bush understands this, but they have to US will be the only superpower and not let china catch up so they use all kind of method to cause trouble for the chinese government. And i understand it, i mean china would probably do the same if china is as powerful as america. In the end, only the one with strongest fist will survive and so its perfectly understandable for america do all this.
In saying all this, id still like to live in the US, although i dislike their government but the education, health care, technolgy advancement and quality of life are all amongst world best. so i cant really say if i like or dislike US.

·
Registered
140 Posts
stevenli said:
I partly agree with you.most chinese don't regard united states as an enemy,but don't like the way that US interferes with other countries.well.it's not never catch up,but most people think it's a long long time.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Too many of you think negatively of other countries. Whether it's India, China, or United States. I suggest taking a couple of anthropology, sociology, economics, and political science courses to truly get the bigger picture of what is happening in the global arena.

The U.S. pressures China regarding its human rights violation due to the very ideals that the U.S. stands for... the unaliable human rights: Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of happiness. You cannot deny that China at times disregards certain minority groups in order to provide benefits for the "greater good of the people"; & it has a "The ends justify the means" approach. A more transparent Chinese media could definitely change the very way that the government functions, that's why China does the best that it can to censor all forms of media. It's true, China is heading towards a more democratic country. Americans see this, but it doesn't hurt that the country applies pressure to China. This ensures that progress doesn't stagnate with China. Both China & America understands the huge economic benefits that the two countries could reap by working together.

It's a clash of cultural ideals. China has a strong background with confucianism... more specifically: loyalty and filial piety (son and father; student and teacher; ruler and subject, etc). As China prospers further, i hope that it can master the higher levels of Humaneness and Junzi. Right now, the State is more important than the individual... which is the oppositve view of Americans that the State should be a reflection of the people.

Not all Americans agree with the country's actions towards Iraq. But now that America is there, it needs to ensure that it provides the country with the kind of economic help that it did for Germany and Japan.

Yes, the United States can get extremely arrogant. But with the rise of China and other countries within the next few decades, it should provide the world with the proper Checks and Balances. What needs to be implemented with the world, though, is a universal human rights doctrine.

·
Banned
1,274 Posts
evangelistik:
US bankrupted Russia, assasinated Chilean president Allende, invaded Iraq, while payed a blind eye to Rwanda's massacre. So please just fool yourself, but leave us alone. China is none of your buisness!

·
Snowboarding -> Surfing
376 Posts
stevenli said:
Like other Chinese forumer has pointed out, it's only your thought. Please don't make arbitary comments again.

In my eight years of US living experience, US is no better than China at all from my personal perspective and China will definitely surpass US in the forseeable future.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
If it weren't for their status as 'top dog', I would not respect them.

I hate their ignorance, arrogance, and need to feel included in EVERYTHING!

With politics aside, I like their belief in freedom, pop-culture, and care-free lifestyle.

·
Registered
163 Posts
huaxia-zhonghua said:
well,I don't believe that us interfered with other countries just because so called human rights.I understand that this is an important section of american's belief,but most of its actions were based on its national interests.
We have to look at America's track record here...

World War I. The U.S. enters the war due to persistent German U-Boat attacks on American merchant ships. Human Rights.

World War II. The U.S. imposes economic sanctions on Japan due to Japan's aggressive actions towards neighboring countries (specifically China). Japan bombards Pearl Harbor. The United States enters WWII.

Korean War. North Korea invades South Korea. The U.S. was not expecting any sort of war to occur. That same week Dean Acheson of the State Department told Congress that war was not likely. Upon hearing of the Invasion, the United States decides to support South Korea.

Vietnam War. Communism. The red scare was in full effect at this time, and South Vietnam was supported by Western Allies to prevent the spread of Communism. The U.S. takes a more aggressive action in this war, as it held the belief that should one country fall to communism, others around it would cause a domino effect.

Persian Gulf War. Iraq invades Kuwait under the pretext that Kuwait was slant-drilling oil across Iraqi borders. The UN imposes economic sanctions on Iraq. Fearing that with the invasion of Kuwait, Saudi Arabia would be invaded next (it had the world's largest oil supply; with Iraqi, Kuwaiti, and Saudi combined it would give Iraq a virtual monopoly on oil).

The War on Iraq. Weapons of Mass destruction supposedly held by Saddam. Never found. I particularly didn't agree with this war. As I think it was a blatant act of aggression towards Iraq by the U.S. using America's paranoia with terrorism as a pretense.

I can see the argument that you have towards national interests. But isn't that the priority of the government? Since when does a state never act upon national interests? All those wars were fought for national interests, but it doesn't mean it disregarded other nations as well.

The United States is not the warmonger you make it out to be, and although it has made many errors in the past, it has also made wise decisions. All nations are prone to flaws. It is not the only country that has made bad judgments.

·
Registered
163 Posts
wigo said:
evangelistik:
US bankrupted Russia, assasinated Chilean president Allende, invaded Iraq, while payed a blind eye to Rwanda's massacre. So please just self-fool your bastards, but leave us alone. China is none of your buisness!
Do you really believe that? Russia bankrupted itself trying to catch up with the U.S. during the Cold War.

Russia bankrupted itself due to its poor economic policies. It just could not sustain the pace it was running at for the marathon session that the U.S. was making it run.

Allende committed suicide after the coup attempt.

Rwanda was a tragedy. And unfortunately, the reason why the U.S. invaded Iraq was due to economic reasons (like I mentioned above, the world, including China, didn't want to see an Iraq that held a monopoly on oil). At the same time, where was the rest of the world during the Rwandan tragedy? One nation can't be held accountable when nobody else paid attention.

China is the world's business. Just like the U.S. is everyone else's business. It is absolutely right to criticize the U.S. for its wrongdoings, that is a beautiful thing to know the atrocities it has committed... because, you know what, it helps in preventing it from happening again.

If it weren't for their status as 'top dog', I would not respect them.

I hate their ignorance, arrogance, and need to feel included in EVERYTHING!

With politics aside, I like their belief in freedom, pop-culture, and care-free lifestyle.
The U.S. does have its moments of ignorance and arrogance. But who doesn't? It's all a matter of perspective. China isn't immune to ignorance and arrogance. I've seen many forumers in the China forum that have unwarrantd anger on India, Taiwan, and the U.S. I've read some of their reasons, and to me, they seemed outright ridiculous and ignorant.

If you bring down the U.S. and glorify China ... then you yourself are being ignorant and arrogant. Because you're just choosing to see one's ugly side and see your good side. You cannot view the world through those lenses. You have to see the good and bad with both societies, and try to make your thoughts as unbiased as possible.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.