SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
RAWR ROAR RAWR
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
chinese internationals in australia here include stuff from above, they dont wash their hands after chucking a shit, impolite, they sometimes backstab but who knows what they say its not in english, i have never seen a international wash their hands before eating, no hand sanitizer, they dont believe in soap, most annoying cant speak basic english, dont understand connotation/tone/sarcasm, little cultural understanding, google translate for a uni assignment is a grammar nightmare

it pisses me everytime, i tell them im chinese and i understand the culture but cant do the otherway around,

good thing is they mainly study accoutning and therefore will be returning to china as they cant stay

dont hate them just annoyed, as im the only abc that hangs around internationals a lot, my local borned friends will not hang internationals much

·
Registered
123 Posts
The guy summed it best, no country is perfect. It's important to keep things in perspective, and I think what you were witnessing was expected from countries or places with a similar level of development.

Take Hong Kong, for example. If you've been to HK in the 1990s (which was already much more economically developed back then than the mainland is now), you would see a huge difference in the way people behave and the cleanliness compared to now. Remember the Kowloon Walled city? Ronnie Chen mentioned that Hong Kong was a very corrupted city in the 1970s.

About dirty public toilets, I've seen dirty toilets in other places as well (such as Indonesia, Malaysia, even Singapore and Hong Kong, though in the case of SG and HK, maybe not to the same level as the pictures above).

Again, keep in mind the fact that it is a developing country. Just as recent as 25 years ago, China was behind India, Indonesia and Pakistan in terms of per head GDP. Society needs to catch up with other developments, and I do believe it will happen eventually.

·
RAWR ROAR RAWR
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
china's sanitation is still much better than india

·
City Reformist
5,262 Posts
Toilet and sanitation in general is essential, I think the government should seriously educate the people about it.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I'm talking about living standards, after living in China for a year I moved back to Sweden the first couple of days I was in a shock mode. Living in China made me so careful and aware of certain things such as food safety and scamming. When I was in Sweden for the first day I questioned my parents, "Can I drink the tap water?" . It felt so weird drinking the tap water as I couldn't do that in China. I also thought "Everything is so clean and clear, it's amazing!" In China I had gotten used to the horrible smoggy air where one day I felt my eyes were frying the time I got out." Clean air makes a huge difference, clean air feels like seeing in 1080pHD whereas smoggy air feels like seeing in standard definition or 480p.

Everything has a certain standard in Sweden compared to China. I mean everything from housing quality to food. As simple as the feeling of opening the door in Sweden compared to China. In China many things are the cheapest material and you really notice it first when you travel to a developed country. In China public toilets and toilets in restaurants can be really like third world standard with no warm water and no soap and really dirty. There's no standard in China, the top is luxury Monaco level but the bottom can be India level. Developed countries in comparison have a high standard on almost everything, much more even.

It's not uncommon that public toilets look like this.

I want to throw up seeing it!

I wonder, why you love to visit the dirty-poor communist part of China? :)

I wonder if mainland China metro station and shopping mall smelly? Because In the News thread, peeing and pooing in the public seems to be very common there, as Mao Zedong always promote of being reeducated by rural people policy. The communist is worshiping that kind of thing. They call it as noble.

The communism came from Europe. If you learn Christianity that dominated European culture and anything, they have a believe where poor people are the owner of the Kingdom of God.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts