Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Skyscraper!
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
你好,

我的中文不太好, 我写英语,你可以回答用中文或者也用英语,好不好?

I am interested in chinese traditional swords 剑 and sabers 刀. If you have photos of those weapons, please share them here.... if you have information about the steel or other material, tell them....

And its very interesting which sword was used in which dynasty of china!

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
This is outside my area of knowledge but I'll take a "stab" at it. :tongue2:

Bronze sword from the Spring and Autumn Era (~750-450 BC). Called the "Sword of Goujian" (越王勾踐劍), supposedly the personal sword of the famous king of the State of Yue, Goujian. Being a royal sword, it was made with aesthetics in mind and not just utility.

From Wikipedia:
The Sword of Goujian is 55.6 cm (21.9 in) in length, including a 10 cm (3.9 in) hilt. The blade is 5 cm (2 in) wide. In addition to the repeating dark rhombi pattern on both sides of the blade, there are also decorations made of blue crystals and turquoise. The grip of the sword is bound by silk, while the pommel is composed of eleven concentric circles... After being in water for two thousand years, the Sword of Goujian still has a sharp blade and shows no signs of tarnish... The body of the blade is mainly made of copper, making it more pliant and less likely to shatter; the edges have more tin content, making them harder and capable of retaining a sharper edge; the sulfur decreases the chance of tarnish in the patterns.

Many experts believe that the chemical composition, along with the almost air-tight scabbard, explains the exceptional state of preservation of this sword.

·
My Heart is with Beijing.
1,737 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts