SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For tens, if not hundreds of thousands of people travelling from the western suburbs of Melbourne, and from Geelong, Ballarat, Bendigo and beyond, the construction of this statue adjacent to the railway-line must have caused some intrigue:

The same site, twelve years ago: piles had been driven, and, as you can see, turned into art since they'd sat there so long:

Today, those piles truly tested, a temple is arising:

Although I have a lot of Chinese friends, I'd rather leave this to the experts to interprett. I was told today this was a Buddhist Temple under construction.

Melbourne's tallest statue? This project is obviously notable, but has passed without comment.

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
yeah buddhist temple.

the site is actually in a flood overlay now and the development wouldn't be approved anymore. The buddhists got in early before the zoning/overlay were changed so can build.

·
メルボルン | &#51652
4,277 Posts
There's also a very large statue of the lady, but in Resevoir

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Ugly thing on a very promanent site. Shame really.
Whats ugly about it? Its a Vietnamese Buddhist Temple and as for the site it has always been a leftover industrial shithole! The Temple will improve it 1000%.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Whats ugly about it? Its a Vietnamese Buddhist Temple and as for the site it has always been a leftover industrial shithole! The Temple will improve it 1000%.
Yea, i thought it odd that he would dis it.
Has anyone noticed how the lake which holds the statue filled up with water once the ''lady'' went up ?? are there pipes to the river ?? do the other lakes in Newells paddock have access to river water ?? if they do then they should fill them as well, all the water birds have gone!! no ducks, swans nothen :eek:hno:
But in short, the Temple will be good for Footscray, its like a big welcome passing it on the train and there will be gardens that surrounds the whole complex, it will make a good impact, better than whats been there all these years...:)

·
Registered
526 Posts
The empty lakes are meant to be fresh water not the brackish water usually present in the river. It's good to see this project finally going ahead but it's a bit disturbing that non Christain religions have to find flood prone or industrial sites for their places of worship - eg the Sikh Temple on the old Hume Hwy

·
Registered
984 Posts
^^ A more nuanced response without starting a ethnic/religious political shitstorm would be like: "All places of worship days whether its a Pentecostal megachurch or a large mosque tend to be located in large parcels on land on the edge of residential areas because the land is cheaper to buy and the buildings are easier to be approval by councils."

But that's asking too much from a paranoid douchbag who sees everything as some left wing attack, even going as so far as to compare Melbourne to the capital of some theroracatic regime. Give the politics a rest for **** sake.

I wonder how many Christian Churchs have received approaval to be built in downtown Riyadh?

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Has anyone noticed how the lake which holds the statue filled up with water once the ''lady'' went up ?? are there pipes to the river ?? do the other lakes in Newells paddock have access to river water ?? if they do then they should fill them as well, all the water birds have gone!! no ducks, swans nothen :eek:hno:
They ran a hose from the river and filled it with a little pump - it took about a day. The lake is connected to the one that sits under the railway line (so that one has water in it), but the other lakes in Newells paddock are still dry.

Someone told me the other day that the temple will be surrounded by gardens. I can't wait for this to be finished: I pass it every day on the way to work, so I reckon I'll nip in for a quick meditate each morning to get me in the mood for the office!

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
They ran a hose from the river and filled it with a little pump - it took about a day. The lake is connected to the one that sits under the railway line (so that one has water in it), but the other lakes in Newells paddock are still dry.
Thanks deebs, i was wondering how they did it...:)

·
Go Krauthammer!
544 Posts
^^ A more nuanced response without starting a ethnic/religious political shitstorm would be like: "All places of worship days whether its a Pentecostal megachurch or a large mosque tend to be located in large parcels on land on the edge of residential areas because the land is cheaper to buy and the buildings are easier to be approval by councils."

But that's asking too much from a paranoid douchbag who sees everything as some left wing attack, even going as so far as to compare Melbourne to the capital of some theroracatic regime. Give the politics a rest for **** sake.
Hmm, touched a nerve there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdEGJb5W5ks

·
bix a day
119 Posts
Wow, this will change the area a bit, but all for it.

It will make the landscape more interesting and more of a reflection of the socio-makeup of the area. Its interesting how architecture/building reflects society.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I think this sort of thing is really cool. Really shows off the multiculturalism of Melbourne's west.

Will add a bit of interest to the Maribrynong and certainly make a cruise up the river more worthwhile.

·
always lost
530 Posts
I wonder how many Christian Churches have received approval to be built in downtown Riyadh?
not many, and I'd say not many Buddhist temples either. But you'll find Christian churches in pretty much every big city in Asia, and architecturally they're a lot more Western than Asian.

·
Melbourne Zealot
1,300 Posts
The "lady" is Guan Yin, Goddess of Mercy. There are many large statues of her all over the world, for example at Lantau Island in Hong Kong, the Kek Lok Si temple in Penang Island in Malaysia, and Guanyin Shan ("Guan Yin Mountain") in Dongguan, China. You can wiki it if you want to know more...

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
^^ thanks.

Despite having studied a text on "Comparative Religions of the World" recently, I get confused- in particular with regard to Buddhism (which is sometimes described as essentially atheistic)- when other Gods or Godesses arise.

You might be able to help me further: she looks towards the sea? That's what I was told.

Incidentally, they have now placed a second layer of what I'd describe as "battens" on the roof of this temple. By my understanding, "rafters" run from the ceiling-joists to the ridge: there aren't many in this structure.

Yardmaster's excuse for sounding off about rafters:

the house-frame I built in year 7 (with more than a little inspiration from my father): originally it had every-thing labelled from the stumps to the battens: hence the strings hanging down, which were once attached to labels. The exercise gave me the confidence to build a house. Nearly fifty years on, the stumps (and the ground below) have gone, as well as a few other bits, but the frame (mainly from cut-up venetian blinds) lives on. About 600 mm square, 350 mm high. Good luck to the Temple!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts