·
103,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Guangzhou - Shenzhen Highway

Guangzhou to Shenzhen in 1.5 hours on new road
Leu Siew Ying in Guangzhou
16 June 2005
South China Morning Post

The Guangzhou, Shenzhen and Dongguan governments are setting up a company to build a second highway linking Guangzhou with Shenzhen, which will shave 30 minutes off the two-hour journey time when it opens in 2007.

The National Development and Reform Commission and the Ministry of Land and Resources have approved the 97km route for the link - provisionally called the Guangzhou-Shenzhen-Yanjiang Highway - according to an official with the Guangzhou Development and Reform Commission.

"We will begin construction of the highway at the end of the year," the official said.

The new road is expected to cost 14.2 billion yuan, of which 300 million yuan will be spent this year.

It will link Bicun, in Guangzhou's Huangpu district, with Shekou in Shenzhen and connect Guangzhou's second ring road with the Shenzhen-Hong Kong Western corridor.

The 11-year-old Guangzhou-Shenzhen highway operated by a Hopewell Holdings subsidiary is used by 90,000 vehicles a day, causing serious traffic jams.

The new route will also serve Humen port and Shenzhen airport and will contribute to economic development along the Pearl River Delta, according to the Guangzhou commission. The other highways to be started this year will link Nansha with Foshan and Zengcheng with Conghua , while a road from Zengcheng to Huadu will provide a faster route north from Dongguan and Shenzhen.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Those are really nice looking, but not impressive in my book.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
nice freeways, but not too impressive. China doesn't have as many cars as in the United states, so maybe in a few years or in a decade or so, it will be lot of cars in rural China. American freeways are busy, even in rural areas. I don't see many cars in rural area of China in the pictures. I-90 6 lane freeway over snoquailimie pass in Washington state gets average of 26,000 cars a day, one of the busiest mountain pass in the US.

·
Mind Reader
3,508 Posts
they are newly built,and most pix are from Beijing

OLD highways are fully commited in China

·
Registered
323 Posts
oh,I'd like to search some

·
Registered
331 Posts
I think the shrubs growing in the highway medians, while decent looking, are very impractical. It makes the garbage-picker's job extremely dangerous, forcing them to walk along the freeway instead of inside the median. Also, this makes it more dangerous for drivers as well. Just put grass there instead.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
i suppose when some of those pictures were taken..the highways were not open yet..

i still remembered when the badaling highway just opened in 1996 (from downtown Beijing to Great Wall), it took us 4.5 hours to complete the 130 km trip, too many cars...

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
zonie said:
I think the shrubs growing in the highway medians, while decent looking, are very impractical. It makes the garbage-picker's job extremely dangerous, forcing them to walk along the freeway instead of inside the median. Also, this makes it more dangerous for drivers as well. Just put grass there instead.
maybe it blocks the headlight of cars driving in the opposite direction, thus makes it safer for drivers?

·
Registered
323 Posts
is this one good looking

·
Registered
331 Posts
Sen said:
maybe it blocks the headlight of cars driving in the opposite direction, thus makes it safer for drivers?
Perhaps. I think the hazard posed by people walking beside 80-100km/h vehicles is greater than that posed by any opposing headlights not already blocked by the guardrails though.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Wow, I've never seen so much greenery planted purposely so nicely along a highway and at interchanges. Wow, I might almost say some of those look like eco-friendly highways with all that greenery, very cool. Some of those look really new though - the one picture with the really tall highway looks somewhat scary.

1 - 20 of 4268 Posts