Votes: 13 2.3%
  • 3 or less

Votes: 64 11.4%
1 - 20 of 717 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Presently Chongqing is China's biggest municipality in terms of area and population.
(4 municipal cities in PR China are Beijing, Tianjin, Shanghai, and Chongqing).
Chongqing is a famous cultural city with a history of 3000 years and a glorious revolutionary tradition. Towards the end of the Old Stone Age approximately 20000-30000 years ago, mankind began to live in Chongqing.

Chongqing was originally the capital of the Ba Kingdom over three thousand years. The place was called Jiangzhou during the Western Dynasty. Later on, it was changed into Yuzhou during the Sui, Tang Wudai and Northern Song Dynasties. Before long, the place was renamed once more as Gongzhou for a short period of time. In 1189, Emperor Guang Zhong of Southern Song Dynasty was first conferred here on Prince Gong and then ascended the throne. For sake of celebration, he renamed Gongzhou as Chongqing, that means double celebrations. This name remains all the same over the previous eight hundred years.

In the year of 1362, Ming Yuzhen, the leader of a peasant uprising army during the last period of the Yuan Dynasty, established the peasant regime of Daxia Kingdom and assigned the city as its political center. In 1937, after Nanjing was occupied by the Japanese invaders, the Kuomintang government moved from Nanjing to Chongqing and designed the latter as its war time capital. During World War II period, Chongqing was the seat of headquarters of US Forces in China-Burma- India Theater Being as the wartime capital of China, Chongqing began to develop into a modern industrial city at the end of 1940s.

In the years following the founding of New China, out of being the location of both the Southwest Bureau and the Southwest Military and Political Committee under the Communist Party of China, and as the municipality directly under the central government for a short period of time, Chongqing had practically become the political, economic and cultural center of Southwest China. In 1954, Chongqing became a city under the jurisdiction of Sichuan provincial government. In 1983, Chongqing took the lead in experimenting on comprehensive economic structural reforms and was granted provincial jurisdiction over economy. Ever since the resolution of the State Council being approved on March 14,1997 by the fifth session of the Eighth National people¡¯s Congress, Chongqing has gained the status of the municipality directly under the central government, the fourth one together with Beijing, Shanghai and Tianjing. Chongqing today administrates original Chongqing, Wanxian, Fuling and Qianjiang Region.

With natural scenes mingled into humane landscape Chognqing's tourist resources are comprehensive and widespread. The long and particular history, brilliant culture, mighty mountain and rivers have brought about numerous well-known scenic spots, historic relics and magnificent landscape to Chognqing. There are in Chongqing 20 large tourist resorts with more than 1300 scenic spots. Among them over 300 spots and tourist resorts have been initially developed including 4 key state level scenic resorts, 6 key historic relics under state protection, 110 historic relics under city preservation and more than 12000 other historic relics. The enchanting night view of the city, the praised historical relics of the Three Kingdoms Period, the elegant Dazu Stone Carvings and the majestic Three Gorges along the Yangtze River are attracting numerous tourists both from home and abroad.

¡¡¡¡Chongqing has convenient land, water and air communication facilities. There are over 50 domestic and international air routes and more than 100 deluxe cruisers sailing on the Yangtze River. Over 80 star-rated hotels are equipped with well facilities.

¡¡¡¡By the end of 1998 Chongqing had hosted 21. 96 person/time tourists with a foreign exchange earning of 88.37 million US dollar.

¡¡¡¡¡¡

·
Arquitextualizado
7,273 Posts
I always liked this city, one of the best China's skylines

·
Don't be that guy!
1,097 Posts
nothing spectacular...but nice night view. 6.5/10

·
patience
337 Posts
"10 & above" haha...
Chongqing is so lively, and it has a very nice skyline at night. Though, it's disappointed that the city is a bit smoky and dirty. :(

·
Registered
372 Posts

Shopping on a lively street walking towards some nice glassy towers... with nice neon lights... I love Asian city's, 10/10

·
Jakarta : Home sweet Home
769 Posts
waaaaaaaaaaaaa..... chongqing has changed soo muchh since the last time I've been there.. waaaa...
impressive... have to go there again.. ehehe

·
original
1,219 Posts
i have been to chongqing. it is a very hilly, very very polluted (even by chinese standards) and a great mix of poor and new money. it is a hard, tough city located deep in the chinese hinterland.. like, really deep. the people's language is a very different kind of chinese than you hear in shanghai, beijing, guangzhou (where one hears more putonghua than expected) and nanjing. when i was in chongqing: :cool:

·
I need to know...
2,015 Posts
I forgot what I voted!!!! I think about 8 or so, looks like a nice collection of buildings, well connected to the waterfront. Looks very dense and some nice talls too. Needs to add a bit more height around a central focus point. Very nice pics chongqinghero!

1 - 20 of 717 Posts