SkyscraperCity Forum banner

CHONGQING | Jiefangbei Book City | 300m | 984ft | 63 fl | U/C

158K views 220 replies 70 participants last post by  kanye 
#1 · (Edited)
Edit.
Final proposal. 385m, 70 floors:

This is the newest supertall project for Chongqing, designed by MAD studio. http://www.i-mad.com/

3 proposals, all of them look clearly taller than 400m.

Proposal 1, 88~ floors.

Proposal 2, 90~ floors.

Proposal 3

See less See more
#9 ·
I don't like proposal 1. It's like a gigantic pile of concrete floors.

I really like proposal two, it think it has the same idea as Frank Gehry;s Beekman tower. With the relief in the facades.

Prop. 3 i think has very much elegance, seen from the top. But when i took a closer look, i din't like it. Too futuristic.

Anyone agreeing?

#14 ·
Proposal 1 looks fantastic but I can see it being the first of a wave of designs for a new generation of highrise slums. And how them trees are going to survive 300m up is beyond me!

Proposal 2 looks great and the undulations in the glass as opposed to the slats would give it a more powerful effect than we can see on the building in Chicago.

Proposal 3 looks very organic but quite bulky too. Maybe a bit too plain.

#17 ·
MADs Three Chongqing Supertall Designs
Published on 10-08-2009 by Skyscrapernews.com

Yet more proposals have been put forward for a new supertall to help make Chongqing the densest central business district in the world.

This time the plans come from the not at all insane architects at MAD who notably designed the Sino Steel Tower which looked like a speaker stack. This time they have come up with three designs for a 400+ metre tall tower which will be located close to the city's financial district.

The designs are widely varying in appearance. The first proposal sees a funky looking tower rising in a haphazard manner with the floor plates, which vary in size stacked almost like someone's forgotten washing up.

In reality this is another twisting tower but MAD has added a sense of chaos to it breaking up what other architects would have designed in a more uniform shape.

Through out the tower there are various green spaces that are not meant to represent mould on the washing up pile, but provide relaxing oases from the daily hustle and bustle for users and visitors at the tower.

The second tower goes for a more sedate and restrained look, almost triangular in shape the tower rises from a podium base up to an almost flat peak featuring a few glazed, curving accents similar to the Aqua Tower in Chicago. The heavily balconied facades are fully glazed and have an undulating shaping to them, giving the tower a sense of animation.

The third design looks a bit like a large rounded amorphous organic growth that has erupted out of the ground. A podium base is set to one side of the main structure which rises from the ground in a bulbous, bottle like shape, about midway it tapers inwards into an thinner oval shaped shaft.

The outer facade is fully glazed in silver toned glass translucent glass giving it a smooth look with the zoomorphic shape helping to diffuse the light as it passes through the glass to only partially reveal what's behind.

Despite a design not as yet being chosen groundwork has apparently begun on the site and a tentative 2012 completion date has been penned in for the proposed tower.

http://skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=2238

#20 ·
Proposal 1 so great
Proposal 2 so ok
Proposal 3 - nice!! :)
I like choose Proposal 3 :D

#27 ·
The first design is uh.........definitly different.:weird: The second design is overused and too simple.:eek:hno: And the third looks over designed and too fat.:bash: All in all, I think they need to come up with some better ideas. But if I had to choose one, I think I would choose the first one just because the design has never been used. But, I still don't like it, it is just better than the other two.