SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 475 Posts

·
stupid sexy flanders
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Febuary 22 2011. 12:51pm.

Christchurch was a beautiful, historic city. We all took it for granted. At that moment in time our city changed forever.

New Zealands second largest city of 400,000 people had spent the previous months recovering from a 7.1 earthquake which came to us on September 4 2010. Even though its epicentre was over 30kms from the central city it caused considerable damage. Thankfully no one was killed, helped Im sure that it struck at 4:35am.

The 6.3 earthquake which hit at lunchtime on Febuary 22 was a different story. It couldn't have happened at a worse time. Centred in the suburb of Lyttelton, and only 5 kilometres deep, it destroyed buildings across the city that were already weakend by the September shake. Whether you were in your office, stuck in traffic, in class, shopping downtown or sitting at home- no one was safe. 182 people lost their lives, an equal number suffered serious injury, 2000 were moderately injured, 25000 lost their homes. In the days following 70,000 people fled the city. The disaster is estimated to cost the New Zealand economy the equivalent of $13 billion US. Even today the central city remains off limits to the public and its thought 15% of the entire city area will be returned to nature.

As bad as all that is this is not want I want this thread to be about. I want to focus on the positive.

This thread is about our city as it rebuilds. We have a great future ahead of us as we build a new city. While I'll use this thread to show you the worst as it is now, I'll also remind you that whole suburbs somehow remained undamaged, where life got back to normal almost immediately.

Our city will get back on its feet. It's going to take time. And I hope we'll see positive changes in this thread.

For now though our once beautiful city centre couldnt be uglier...

·
stupid sexy flanders
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn, it's like a gost town...:(
Exactly. Looking at places where people used to live, study, work and shop now empty. Its a disconcerting, scary, almost apocalyptic landscape.

rebuilding the city brick by brick is absolutely a positive endevour,
a glimmer of hope that the city can be put back to its orginal self.
I totally agree. That little mural really gives me hope for the cities future. I have no idea who put that up, but everytime I see it it makes me smile.

Thanks for your comments guys.

·
stupid sexy flanders
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
interesting pics Luka. Have the aftershocks stopped now and time for rebuild? Are there any shops or offices open around the mall areas or the square
Thanks mate. Aftershocks still goin but they getting weaker. Its still very random though, you can go days without feeling one and then get 3 decent ones in the space of an hour.

Slowly the economy is returning to the cbd were it can. Life is returning to buildings outside the cordon that werent damaged. Its reassuring to see an office with people inside again, or a cafe owner cleaning up getting ready to reopen. But these are in the fringe cbd neighbourhoods, still no access to the Square or Pedestrian Malls.

Excellent thread Milan.

This is Stonehurst right?
The main building totally gone now.
Cheers Bruce. How did you pick the backpacker haven the Stonehurst from that picture! You are right, walking across that ground yesterday I found a French 2 euro coin and part of a Singapore Airlines boarding pass.

Good idea for a thread Luka :) I look forward to seeing CHCH bounce back better than ever :)
Hi Sydney. Thanks for that, I just thought, this is too important a moment in time. As much as I dont like seeing it, it helps me to accept whats happened. And yes, I look forward to seeing the city back on its feet again. Some great ideas being proposed. My favourite is the idea to rebuild a Kiwi copy of Copenhagen.

Ghost town is really the key word here. Impressive pictures. But it´s nice to know the rebuilding in underway :)
You do see people. Usually army, police or demolition workers, and then the curious with their cameras. On the weekends the border of the red zone can get really busy with tourists and locals curious to see whats become of the cbd.

G

·
Hi Sydney. Thanks for that, I just thought, this is too important a moment in time. As much as I dont like seeing it, it helps me to accept whats happened. And yes, I look forward to seeing the city back on its feet again. Some great ideas being proposed. My favourite is the idea to rebuild a Kiwi copy of Copenhagen.
What a fantastic idea, the best example of how a city should be. Will Jan Gehl be involved at all ? CHCH should also look at Dresden. I spent a whole day looking through that thread, it is amazing how they have incorporated the "old" (newly built to resemble the old buildings that were lost) and the new. It is very inspirational .... you should send an email to CHCH Council and tell them to look at Dresden as well. It is all very exciting :)

·
stupid sexy flanders
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
High Street/Lichfield Lanes

The quirky bohemian part of town. Sometimes seedy, sometimes grubby but always colourful. One of my favourite parts of the city. Many old brick buildings housing vegetarian cafes, brothels, tattoo parlours, vodka bars- you get the picture. Becoming popular with hipsters living in newly converted loft style apartments.

G

·
CHCH has just been rattled by a series of earthquakes again - is everything okay with you and yours - home still fine ? We are thinking of you :hug:

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Cheers Bruce. How did you pick the backpacker haven the Stonehurst from that picture! You are right, walking across that ground yesterday I found a French 2 euro coin and part of a Singapore Airlines boarding pass.
Hey dude. Just read about the aftershock. Hope you're OK.

I've had business relations with Stonehurst for years and once stayed in one of the motel units to the right. The terracotta brown gave it away.

1 - 20 of 475 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.