Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All Christian world will soon celebrate Christmas and New Year, as always, at this time of year :)

This thread is where everyone can post their pictures of how their cities are decorated before this year's Christmas and New Year celebrations.

Would be great to see how urban nation is awaiting Christmas all around the world - how the most different cities are decorated!

Please be critical and don't post crappy pictures - blurred, unsharp, noisy etc. Try to keep it in some quality level.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here some photos from Riga city:

1. Here you see Townhall square where traditionally one of city's main trees is installed. This is a very important place because exactly 500 years ago the first Christmas tree in the world was set up here. So, yes, Riga is the birthplace of this Christmas tree decoration tradition which is beloved in all Christian world. Don't believe me? :) Then check out the official page of American Christmas Tree Association: http://www.christmastreeassociation.org/Article Pages/christmas_tree_500th_birthday

More about the first Christmas trees: http://www.christmasarchives.com/trees.html and http://www.firstchristmastree.com/.

2. And this is Riga's Dom Cathedral square where main Christmas market is placed. It may look not so lively in this pic, but in the pre-Christmas days it becomes quite a bustling place.

3.Of course, one of Christmas trees also here. And a small, stylish kiosk where one can buy mulled wine or hot blackcurrant drink (as I also did as I was frozen very much that evening). And to the left you see Santa Claus sitting on the chair - he was a real (I mean, real man)! How did the hell did he survived the coldness just sitting there hours?? I guess, maybe some electric warmer was connected to his chair?

4. A bit farther there on stage - Latvian folk collective "Suiti Women". It's always pleasure to see these vigorous, humorous, mostly old ladies from Suiti region in Western Latvia.

5. As I said that evening was cold and the public was smaller than the artists collective on stage :). At the moment, Suiti womens asked to squat in their singing rythm, and here you see spectatresses doing that.

7. From cosy Old Town to more urban scene - this is the traffic junction at Riga Central station building which has got it's own Christmas decorations...

8. Like this fake tree on the Clock Tower.

To be continued...

Hey, and post the Christmas views from your cities as well!!

·
16,955 Posts
Just a couple of shots from Rotterdam. The KPN building shows a christmas tree on the facade and one of the cranes is lit up.

Recently I noticed that one of the skyscrapers in Rotterdam had snowflakes projected all over the facade. I might take some pictures tomorrow :)

·
Registered
477 Posts
nice photos of Riga.
no offense but I can hardly see people around.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nice photos of Riga.
no offense but I can hardly see people around.
Yes, there weren't crowds marching around in that cold evening+I tried to avoid people in such photos where I want to show decorated buildings, cityscape.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Continuing with Riga...
And waiting for your pics, @Christos as well as many others!

9. Laima Clock tower, Freedom monument behind it and in the background Radisson Latvia hotel.

10. From the other side. Building to the left is another hotel, with chic restaurant (I suppose, although have never been up there) on 7th floor

12. Snowmans and light decorations in Bastejkalna park.

13. Here at Hotel De Rome is another Christmas tree placed.

14. Almost like a big Christmas decoration there stands ferris wheel in Livu square since a couple of weeks ago. Because most people is rather terrified than tempted by the possibilty to take a ride with ferris wheel in current temperatures (around minus 10 in daytime).

16. Another Christmas market is here

20. At the opera building

21. Stockmann with it's Christmas tree

22. Riga Circus building

23. Shopping centre Galleria Riga

24. Something different - Riga models of gingerbread in Galleria Riga

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Some new pictures from Riga - taken yesterday.

Elizabetes street

Busy Tērbatas street

Doma square surprised me - they have finished renovation of Riga Stock Exchange building (to the right) and now it looks all like made of bronze. Impressive.

Merķeļa boulevard with Origo shopping centre

Origo shopping centre use the same ornamentation every year (with Latvian folk motives) but it's one of the most impressive decoration in the city.

·
Banned
4,330 Posts
Beautiful. Thank you !

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I resume this thread. Share pics from your cities/towns!

Riga, Christmas 2011

Different Christmas trees are set up in Riga centre - some real, some artficial ones (in total, 42 trees):

1 - 20 of 24 Posts