SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I kind of like the name of this condo, Chysalis. But the design is pretty bad IMO. Looks pretty tall but it's just a fat slab of glass. :(

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Mini Vancouver is heading west!

·
Torontonian 4ever
9,891 Posts
Travis007 said:
Anyone know if this is the re-design for Mistral??? (please not, I love that design) :(
It looks like it is, they've covered the building where Mistral would stand with that thing

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Filip said:
It looks like it is, they've covered the building where Mistral would stand with that thing
:rant: Why the hell would they do that?!?!?
Mistral had a great design with those sail things on the top that and the buildings would compliment the area. I would understand a re-design but c'mon, there's way better designs than that flab.

·
Torontonian 4ever
9,891 Posts
Travis007 said:
:rant: Why the hell would they do that?!?!?
Mistral had a great design with those sail things on the top that and the buildings would compliment the area. I would understand a re-design but c'mon, there's way better designs than that flab.
Exactly! I was excited by this project, it would be exactly next door to me. I was expecting some beautiful Miami looking condo, but what I'm getting is this slab.
Heh, screw this...

·
Registered
676 Posts
"Transforming expectations"

Truer words were never spoken... errr... written on an advertisment...

·
Torontonian 4ever
9,891 Posts
partybits said:
Another crappy condo to add to the Lakeshore area. Will fit in wonderfully!
Reminds me of any other condo going up in Toronto, for such a special geographic area I was expecting something nicer. Therefore it's no reason to pop a boner.

·
The Greatest
4,515 Posts
Mistral was cancelled a year or two ago - the design was simply too "ambitious" for the Etobicoke waterfront

Doesn't look anything like Vancouver or any of condos going up in the 416. It is what it is; a glassier Edmonton slab

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
valantino said:
Mistral was cancelled a year or two ago - the design was simply too "ambitious" for the Etobicoke waterfront

Doesn't look anything like Vancouver or any of condos going up in the 416. It is what it is; a glassier Edmonton slab
That's probably the worst BS excuse I've ever heard in my life. Design being too "ambitious"? Shouldn't we be more ambitious with our designs... :(
But I gotta say, no one compares more about their condos going up than Torontonians, I know many other cities who would like to see this go up in their city.... *sigh*

·
Torontonian 4ever
9,891 Posts
valantino said:

No, it was simply the fact that the developer went bankrupt.
And you should walk outside a bit more, this does look like any other condo going up in Toronto. Anything in Cityplace, West Harbour village, or any freaking district. It's your typical curtain glass condo with little boxes around the edges.

·
The Greatest
4,515 Posts
"No, it was simply the fact that the developer went bankrupt."

But why did the developer go bankrupt and why didn't the new developer use the Mistral design?

"And you should walk outside a bit more, this does look like any other condo going up in Toronto. Anything in Cityplace, West Harbour village, or any freaking district. It's your typical curtain glass condo with little boxes around the edges."

Only if you were to take all the buildings in Harbour View Estates and line them up broad side, end to end.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I don't have much faith in this company (True North Properties) based on what they've done in the past. I mean, look at what they're building in downtown Montreal.

:puke:

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Mistral wasn't cancelled due to design excellence. It was buried by idiot wanabe developers (in the Pen Equity mold) and the original landowner's gullible nature (Fogh). No one including yours truly was paid properly for their work on the project and the land was eventually sold to this slab-tastic Edmonton developer.

Criminal. Ava (Mistral's architect) is a Toronto treasure and it's a shame that her work won't see the light of day.

·
Torontonian 4ever
9,891 Posts
valantino said:
But why did the developer go bankrupt and why didn't the new developer use the Mistral design?
I don't know why they went bankrupt nor do I care. They can't use the same design another developer used, it's just not done that way. It's like plagiarizing or whatever it is.
valantino said:
Only if you were to take all the buildings in Harbour View Estates and line them up broad side, end to end.
Not exactly, it looks exactly the same as Harbour View estates, EXACTLY.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Filip said:
Not exactly, it looks exactly the same as Harbour View estates, EXACTLY.
Not EXACTLY, there are a few minor details in the buildings, but this is way fatter than HVE and any of the other Cityplace towers. If anything, Chrysalis reminds me of Ultima in NYCC, both are fat slab glass towers and only time could tell if they are to look good or not.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
416 said:
I don't have much faith in this company (True North Properties) based on what they've done in the past. I mean, look at what they're building in downtown Montreal.

:puke:

That's pretty bad, compared to that I 'm glad Toronto's getting Crysalis. Those look like 60's apartment buildings in Brooklyn New York or something.

·
Torontonian 4ever
9,891 Posts
Travis007 said:
Not EXACTLY, there are a few minor details in the buildings, but this is way fatter than HVE and any of the other Cityplace towers. If anything, Chrysalis reminds me of Ultima in NYCC, both are fat slab glass towers and only time could tell if they are to look good or not.
Again I disagree, but how can you make a decision based on a poor rendering of half the building?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts