Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought I might start a thread where people could post pictures of the churches around/near Nejmeh Square. I only have a few to start it off.

Greek Catholic Church, near Greek Orthodox St. Georges:

It's still under restoration

Corners (I like the decision to leave some of the war damage on the cornice/corner of St. Georges):

Nouriyeh Chapel. Destroyed during the war, no one knew what it looked like (they asked for pre-war pictures, but apparently couldn't find any), so this is a modern 'reinterpretation.' Supposedly a 'magnetic' site (like the other Nouriyeh near Chekka), it drew both Christians and Moslems who came for its icon which was attributed 'miraculous' powers (badly burnt, it was restored, but I don't know whether they've already put it back):

The pathway to it, through the 'Wasteland' (Garden) of Forgiveness:

Interior of Greek Orthodox Cathedral of St. Georges. It was also badly burnt and a few years ago, when I first visited it, was an empty shell. Ironically, and to confuse foreign journalists who try to fit everything into little neat boxes, the militiamen who sacked it were from the Communist party, many of whom were Greek Orthodox! Not ironically, at least to those who know Lebanon, many of the icons were saved during the fighting by Moslem neighbors who put themselves at risk to save them and get them to church officials. It is now being restored, by religious painters drawn from Russia and Greece:

Not near Nejmeh, but I found this rebuilt annex to the Capucin Church near Bad Idriss interesting. If they had got the windows right (they put those metal things in, unfortunately), it would have been a nice approximation of the original or at least of something from the turn of the 19th/20th):

·
Registered
361 Posts
^^ lol, ill help u out with the rest :)
theres the famous St. Georges Maronite cathedral behind the Mohammad Al Amine mosque on martyrs square (Riad El Solh Str.)
another Maronite cathedral (St.Anthony I think) at the begining of downtown beside the Wadi Grand Hills project
an Evangelical church behind the Marina Towers project
another Evangelical church just under the Serail
and of course theres the Armenian cathedral (St.Nishan) facing the Grand Serail
and another Armenian cathedral on Martyrs Square near Plus Towers I & II
also the Capucin Catholic church is not the one you showed in the second picture it is the first building on the right in the first picture its interior i believe is still under restoration.
and unless it counts, there are the ruins of the St.Mansour church on Martyrs Square

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
also the Capucin Catholic church is not the one you showed in the second picture it is the first building on the right in the first picture its interior i believe is still under restoration.
and unless it counts, there are the ruins of the St.Mansour church on Martyrs Square
Abu 3Leish, re Capucin Church, that building in the second picture is, I am pretty certain, the Capucin Church's annex, which is what I labelled it. It was just recently rebuilt, and I was glad to see they kept something othe old character in redoing it.

Re St. Mansour: I had never heard of that church. Where is it located?

I should probably change the name of the thread, but I had thought at first to concentrate on the complex of churches around Nijmeh Square. Of course, the moment I posted the pic of the Capucin church Annex, I drifted the thread in the first post!

·
Registered
156 Posts
theres the famous St. Georges Maronite cathedral behind the Mohammad Al Amine mosque on martyrs square (Riad El Solh Str.)
another Maronite cathedral (St.Anthony I think) at the begining of downtown beside the Wadi Grand Hills project
an Evangelical church behind the Marina Towers project
another Evangelical church just under the Serail
and of course theres the Armenian cathedral (St.Nishan) facing the Grand Serail
and another Armenian cathedral on Martyrs Square near Plus Towers I & II
the maronite church beside wadi hills project is mar elias,

i will post some pictures i took for churches in and around downtown last week.

btw when i went on my little pictures spree i was wearing shorts and flip flops and they let me in to every church and mosque in downtown beirut except the st georges maronite cathedral where the priest actually told me this is a house of god and that i was not welcome there in shorts and when i told him i just wanted to take a pic, he told me that this wasnt baalbeck and that i couldn t take pics, at which point i replied that it was b/c of ignorant priests like him that people no longer go to churches and don t care about religion :bash: and that i was becoming orthodox instead :lol::eek:hno:

·
Registered
361 Posts
the maronite church beside wadi hills project is mar elias,

i will post some pictures i took for churches in and around downtown last week.

btw when i went on my little pictures spree i was wearing shorts and flip flops and they let me in to every church and mosque in downtown beirut except the st georges maronite cathedral where the priest actually told me this is a house of god and that i was not welcome there in shorts and when i told him i just wanted to take a pic, he told me that this wasnt baalbeck and that i couldn t take pics, at which point i replied that it was b/c of ignorant priests like him that people no longer go to churches and don t care about religion :bash: and that i was becoming orthodox instead :lol::eek:hno:
haha thx 4 the corrections and lol i think that mustve smacked the priest in his face :p , its ok i have a picture of the interior of that one.. ill post it later

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.