SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Banned
8,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A great deal of communities in Europe and North-America are moving to a post-Christian era and churches are losing their followers and ultimately their raison d'être.

The bigger ones are kept into museum type buildings, maintained by the state, but what to do with the smaller ones that often do not have the same historical importance, yet are still architecturally interesting and worth preserving.

Although I consider myself an atheist, I do enjoy the architectural beauty of churches and do not want to see them destroyed but rather adapted to the modern world.

There have recently been some beautiful conversion of churches into residential quarters. Let us share some of them.

·
Banned
8,321 Posts

·
Real Horrorshow
23,300 Posts
Very nice! I hate what churches represent, but they are almost always wonderfully designed. I hope this will become more popular as atheism continues to rise. They can also turn into art galleries, museums, and other exhibition halls.

·
Registered
18,251 Posts
Very depressing thread. Society is completely giving up its cultural, spiritual heritage (which allowed it to build such beautiful structures) to replace it with nothing, but consumerism and obsessive self-promotion on social networks. The future of this civilisation is not promising.

·
Real Horrorshow
23,300 Posts
Spirituality is a scam that holds no more weight in the modern world. Religion teaches us to be closed-minded towards others, and to obey an invisible dictator mindlessly and relentlessly. Those who don't are tortured until the end of time. Do we want this in today's society? And we don't need religion to be good to others - we can do that ourselves.

If more churches are converted into residential areas, we will not only have strong, spacious, beautiful houses, but it will provide a lot more people with homes instead of wasting all that space on religious hot air. If they're converted into art and science halls, people can learn much more about the real world instead of the fake world religion sells. We can keep some churches original as a museum - just like all the relic churches of the Ancient Greek religion of which Christianity will suffer the same fate.

·
Banned
8,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The First Church of Christ Scientist, which was built in 1917, has been converted into a luxury townhouse building, aptly named The Sanctuary.

Located in Seattle's Capitol Hill, the church-turned-luxury residence has been landmarked by the city, which ensures that -- unlike other abandoned places of worship -- it cannot be torn down.

http://realestate.aol.com/blog/2012...rsion-will-make-you-a-believer/#!slide=869950

·
Banned
8,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
18,251 Posts
Spirituality is a scam that holds no more weight in the modern world.

(...)
Hatred as I would expect. No wonder so many people died in French, Russian and Spanish revolutions. Given the right conditions, it would happen all over again. It's much intolerance, hatred.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts