Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Rail & Road traveller
2,804 Posts
I didn't know any were there. I was raised in a 99% Baptist area. I have been to Sweden before and didn't know it had spread there.
We have baptists, Jehovas witnesses and even scientologists. I consider my self to be christian, but I stay away from those groups.

Sometimes I see the young american mormons all dressed up in suits walking around in parks and at train stations looking for people to discuss God with and sell books. I never talk to them if they approach me.

House of Templars of Honor and Temperance (Godtemplaregården) Rimforsa, Sweden

·
Deadpan Snarker
9,489 Posts
I don’t want to be a pain in the ass, but I don’t think “cult” is the right English word for this. If you told, say, an American Methodist that Methodism is a cult, they’d likely be offended.

·
Deadpan Snarker
9,489 Posts
They separated from the Anglicans in the 18th century. They’re fairly mainstream and numerous. So are the Baptists. I’m not sure who I’d call a “cult” on a public forum, really; it’s very disparaging. What are you getting at...churches of religious groups that are “minor” in your country?

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
They separated from the Anglicans in the 18th century. They’re fairly mainstream and numerous. So are the Baptists. I’m not sure who I’d call a “cult” on a public forum, really; it’s very disparaging. What are you getting at...churches of religious groups that are “minor” in your country?
A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.

And these churches considered to be cults, you won't see them in Rome (Vatican) as a religious denominations, not like: Liutherans, Calvinists, Reformats, Ortodox, Anglicans; as guests from other religions: Buddhist, Muslim, Induist. There are many branches of these churches, that are not main, wildly except ideologies. These cults have slight or big modifications, or differences from main denominations, and found by charismatic leaders who uses people to gain power (not all, but most of them).

·
18,384 Posts
Methodists, Baptists, and Mormons are denominations and faiths, not cults. They are mainstream and all very common in the US, and fairly common in other North American countries. Scientology is maybe a cult, but even that's debatable.

Just because a denomination does things differently than you, doesn't mean they're a cult.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Methodists, Baptists, and Mormons are denominations and faiths, not cults. They are mainstream and all very common in the US, and fairly common in other North American countries. Scientology is maybe a cult, but even that's debatable.

Just because a denomination does things differently than you, doesn't mean they're a cult.
Even the people who left these culs admit that they are cults, if it is popular in one country it dosen't mean it is not cult. BTW every book about religues cults or sects includes them. Don't be so sensitive, just because you're in one of these cults.

You made my day:"Scientology is maybe a cult, but even that's debatable."
It's one of the most ridiculous ideologies that l came across :nuts::lol::nuts:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.