SkyscraperCity banner

221 - 226 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
It is interesting to observe how Singapore has evolved its own design genre for Churches. This is due to the constraint of land.
Let's say a typical plot size for church is about 3500sqm (please correct me if I am wrong).
Within this size, churches have fit relatively comprehensive builds with the worship hall, function rooms, multipurpose halls, canteens, and also carparks.
As for carparks, initially, these are confined to surface carpark, and/or surface cum ground floor.
Later, it became necessary design underground carparks which should be expensive, not just just the construction costs, but also the need to ventilate them.

I am curious to hear views on which are the churches that are efficient in the design in terms of space utilisation.

Some of my observations among the catholic churches are:

Holy Spirit, at thomson road: used ground floor space partially for carpark. Layout relatively efficient.

Christ the King at Ang Mo Kio: Partially rebuilt from an orginally development in the 1980. Hence sub-optimal. Only surface parking. Ground floor used for built-up space. Hence, insufficient carpark. The circulation is also inefficient.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I think the larger modern churches now try to develop basements and go multi-storey as well. Paya Lebar Methodist Church looks like one example of what you can get.

·
Fiat Voluntas Tua
7,067 Posts
It is interesting to observe how Singapore has evolved its own design genre for Churches. This is due to the constraint of land.
Let's say a typical plot size for church is about 3500sqm (please correct me if I am wrong).
Within this size, churches have fit relatively comprehensive builds with the worship hall, function rooms, multipurpose halls, canteens, and also carparks.
As for carparks, initially, these are confined to surface carpark, and/or surface cum ground floor.
Not as bad as those in Hong Kong as far as I am aware of (the entire plot is built, even in heritage complexes, to increase capacity).

The church has been given TOP by BCA. We can consider it completed.
I heard there's a public open house on 1st and 2nd April before the church is retrofitted with furnitures and used from the second week of April (if my sources are to be trusted)

221 - 226 of 226 Posts