SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a long time lurker on this site and have finally got round to registering.

So, can anyone help?

I drove past the Cincinnati-Lamb factory on the Kingsbury Road and there is a sign saying it’s been acquired by Urban Splash. Does anybody know the answer to two things:

1: Do they still have an operation on that site, as it’s a big old place? (In fact there are so many big old factories across Brum that are currently derelict, sadly)

2: What are Urban Splash going to do with it?

Cheers!

·
Second Citizen
16,937 Posts
News to me! Welcome Mark :)

I think the operation there is much reduced, and they are closing up AFAIK.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
They will close with the lost of about 80 jobs. Not sure when but I imagine quite soon. God knows what Urban Splash are planning, we have heard nothing.

·
Proud European
6,440 Posts
Welcome Mark.

They announced a while ago, that in common with so many other companies, they were consolidating production facilities, and lo & behold the British operation would be the one to get the bullet.

The Cincinnatti sign has gone off the side, so it may be that they have already fled.

It's a wonderful art deco edifice, and does have considerable potential.

It's good news that Urban Splash have got it, if there track record with Fort Dunlop is anything to go by.

It needs revitalising with a good refurb, that will make the best of the design and the space.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered Abuser
7,114 Posts
I did not even know urban splash where doing something else, madness.

·
SSC Geek
2,794 Posts
Can we encourage Urban Splash to do as much as possible please? Fort Dunlop and Rotunda both seem to have been major successes so far, let's keep the ball rolling!

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
The Cincinnatti sign has gone off the side, so it may be that they have already fled.
That was taken down a very long time ago. Way before they announced they were leaving the building. Signage is still visible at the main entrance though.

·
Simples
5,926 Posts
Don't know this building can someone enlighten me as to where this is / what it looks like.

·
Change is Here!
4,082 Posts
It's on the Kingsbury Road opposite the Castle Vale Estate here It's the big building. If you look where the little bridge crosses the canal, that leads to the Art Deco facade which F&N mentioned.

Quite an impressive building, and a canalside location to boot. Urban Splash should be able to do something quite good with it.

·
Registered Abuser
7,114 Posts
Thats fantastic then maybe we will get some answers.^^^^^^

·
That's Dr to you
4,200 Posts
If I remember rightly, they have almost done a kind of swap, Cincinnati are moving most of what will be left after their 'downsizing' to Fort Dunlop, with a small R&D being kept at part of the current site, the rest is for what ever Urban Splash want to do with it.

Hopefully someone can update us on this.

·
Gone for a bit
10,383 Posts
I was under the impression the site is no longer functioning. I reported many, many months ago that Urban Splash have acquired the site, their signs have been up probably all of 2007...

Welcome Mark by the way!

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the hellos!

There are loads of big old factories like this all over Brum. It would be great to know what they all made and produced, it's just a sad fact we hardly make anything in the city any more.

But, surely one of these buildings would make a great modern art gallery, like the Tate Modern or Baltic in Newcastle?

·
Gone for a bit
10,383 Posts
I like the idea of turning an old factory into an arts and media centre. A bit like a larger version of the Custard Factory. A museum would also be a good idea.

Regarding manufacturing, we still have two large car manufacturers in Jaguar (just down the road from the Cincinnati site) and Land Rover and Birmingham produces one third of all jewellery in the UK with the largest concentration of jewellers anywhere in Europe.

Manufacturing is declining all over the UK and not just confined to Birmingham... A sad state of affairs really.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Cincinatti Erdington

Seems the the board from Cincinatti approached Urban Splash about moving in to Fort Dunlop and asked Urban Splash if they wanted first refusal on the building. With their track record and cash reserves expect small business units, bars restaurants and maybe some residential and a revitalised canal area, could lift the whole area.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
^^It really needs it. Castle Vale seems to be in it's own little pod so this could help link it to the rest of Birmingham! :happy:

Thanks a lot Rad! :)

1 - 20 of 73 Posts