Votes: 1 1.4%

Votes: 3 4.2%

CINCINNATI - Paycor Stadium (65,790)

38K views 69 replies 36 participants last post by  RMB2007 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
NFL

Cincinnati Bengals

Home of Cinncinati Bengals of the NFL

When bad team/franchise, have good stadium the rest of the NFL doesn't notice until they play there. 5 years later, you still see broadcasts complimenting the stadium as if its the first year its been open. Aptly, images of it are probably the most sparse to find of any venue in the NFL. Apparently, the atriums and club areas are among the best with around 200 suites. Guess I'll never know.

next to the old stadium, which has since been replaced with a new baseball stadium

Welcome to the Jungle...........Maybe it can be that again......someday

south

north

See less See more
#7 ·
#12 ·
8.5 / 10

The stadium, by in large, looks fantastic. Even the gaps between upper tiers of the side and endzone stands looks great. Usually, I hate endzone stands that look weird, pretty much for the sake of it, but I think these ones actually fit in will with the overall design and actually work.

There are a few flaws, however; the positioning of the advertising at the North End seems designed to give the impression of the stadium being almost full enclosed, but this visual effect is kind of ruined by the distance between the North End and the East Side. Another half block, to block of seats in the upper tier of that endzone would have improved that visual effect greatly and added to the asymmetry of the endzones in my opinion. There is balance at the South End, as the gaps between the South End and the East and West Sides is roughly equal.

The other major flaw I see is the entrances to the upper tier at the North End. The wall created looks out of place against the vomatories on the other sides.

If I had my way, I'd slightly redesign the North End to fit in better with the stadium by adding another block of seating to the upper tier to enhance the enclosed eye-lines and get rid of the wall in the upper tier and replace it with the vomatories elsewhere in the stadium.

#21 ·
Big budgets don't = good design. Also very large stadiums I feel tend to be a little more difficult to execute well for a variety of reasons. Not least of which is trying to keep that many seats within a reasonable distance.

But maybe the biggest factor are the designers in question, NBBJ has a great track record in sports facilities (Paul Brown, Lincoln Financial Field, Miller Park, Safeco ect). Conversely Architecture 360 who did the New Meadowlands have a pretty spotty record in my mind, though they did work on Safeco and Nationwide arena with NBBJ and the AAA with Arquetectonica their solo work has never been my thing. HNTB who are doing the Niners stadium are kind of hit or miss in my book; I love Invesco Field, but some of their college projects and the Oracle arena renovation are pretty mediocre. But I am certainly glad to see some variety of firms getting major stadium comissions since it feels like Populous gets 90% of 'em, and like anyone else they get into a rut pretty quick.

#25 ·
OK, I'm assuming that the training fields of the Bengals are in the foreground. Does this mean they use the locker facilities inside the stadium? And, if so, how do they get to and from the fields? It must look weird to see a bunch of pro football players in uniform and wearing cleats, waiting for the light to change.

#27 ·
OK, I'm assuming that the training fields of the Bengals are in the foreground. Does this mean they use the locker facilities inside the stadium? And, if so, how do they get to and from the fields? It must look weird to see a bunch of pro football players in uniform and wearing cleats, waiting for the light to change.
It is. Kinda lame they don't have an indoor facility, but hopefully this will get the go ahead:

http://www.msaarch.com/portfolio/msa-sport/cincinnati-bengals-riverfront-indoor-training-facility