SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
JUNCTA JUVANT
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few of the mock-ups they had at the Public Meeting on Wednesday (5/24).

Located in between PBS and GABP:

·
Registered
649 Posts
I am really liking this park...some very gracious spaces there, sidewalk cafes and terraces overlooking the river, water play, all very nice.

·
President of Catan
2,282 Posts
Looks great. Reminds me a lot of Waterfront Park in Louisville, which is a HUGE success, so this thing will hopefuly do the same kind of magic for Cincy's DT that Waterfront did for Louisville's.

·
Registered
210 Posts
eweezerinc said:
Looks great. Reminds me a lot of Waterfront Park in Louisville, which is a HUGE success, so this thing will hopefuly do the same kind of magic for Cincy's DT that Waterfront did for Louisville's.
Cincinnati's Sawyer Point, Bicentennial Commons and Yeatmans Cove are already great downtown parks on the River... this is just the crown jewel...

·
JUNCTA JUVANT
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yo said:
Cincinnati's Sawyer Point, Bicentennial Commons and Yeatmans Cove are already great downtown parks on the River... this is just the crown jewel...

Yeah, I love the parks on the river already. Sand volleyball courts, tennis courts, a huge-ass playground, little carts that you can rent, a public skating rink, beautiful landscaping, and great areas to throw a frisbee around or whatever ... not to mention a very nice public stage for concerts.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Why have a park in a floodplain zone area--hasn't anyone learn from the New Orleans fiasco? Are there any plans to build any floodwalls?

·
JUNCTA JUVANT
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bonjourtoledo said:
Why have a park in a floodplain zone area--hasn't anyone learn from the New Orleans fiasco? Are there any plans to build any floodwalls?
Those are just rendering of the amenities that the park will have.

Here are the groups involved(from an article):
Members of the Cincinnati Park Board, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and architects with a private consultant
The U.S. Army Corps will be involved with the river's flood plain and current change.

Like I stated above, Cincinnati has a very nice riverfront park as it is and they've done a good job with flooding. However, comparing a river flooding to the New Orleans' flood are two different animals.

·
President of Catan
2,282 Posts
Bonjourtoledo said:
Oh pah. Ohio River flooding cannot be compared to a hurricane. Thats a very radical comparison.

This is Waterfront Park. Basically a complete flood plain:

And sure, it floods occasionaly. But not to any sort of extreme, and its not some sort of destructive force tht kills people and causes billions in damage. Its just a park.
You don't need floods walls to protect fields and trails from flooding. Thats just silly.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Ok let's get this straight, I am NOT comparing between flooding and hurricane. So get off that endless train of thought, I am referring to what's below or near below waterlevel in terms of flooding. That's why development near rivers or body of water will need flood walls, leeves, or some sort of protection. I've seen too many developments building in the flood plains and lower areas where flooding and excessive water takes place. St. Louis, Grand Forks, Fargo were near the great Mississippi River and a lot of their areas were in flood plain zone with the early 90s great flood; so by saying that I was just wondering with the park development that's taking place in Cincinnati if they were considering this because I know that the football and baseball stadiums and "The Banks" are in the flood plain or quite near it.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
IMO it's just a waste to build a park or recreational area with tax dollars knowing that it may be flooded and have to spend more dollars to clean up every time.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would guess that most of the park, at least the structures, would be high enough to avoid most flooding. If it's near the height of the Suspension Bridge, that'd be enough to clear the 1937 flood, which was the worst in Cincinnati's history. The part that will be flooded with any regularity is that which is just grass and concrete sloping down to the river. And even when the rest of the park is one day flooded... well, it's only a park.

In all it's probably worth the risk.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes there are two sections to the park.....the lower one (closer to the river) is a Riverwalk and some open lawn area. This is by far the smaller of the two sections that I am speaking of. The second section will be raised out of the floodplain to the same level as the rest of the Banks development. This is the area that will contain structures and the vast majority of the items that you would want to keep from getting flooded.

BTW, Bonjourtoledo, this is a park....not an entire city sitting in a floodplain. Not to mention New Orleans isnt just in a flood plain...ITS BELOW SEALEVEL!!! It is an absolutely terrible comparison to make.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Eh

I gotta be honest. I'm not a huge fan of this 70 million dollar park that creates zero revenue for the city of cincinnati. I believe what we need are Cincinnati based restaurants, condominiums, themes, etc in between the stadiums first. We have to concentrate on keeping people downtown after work and bringing them downtown on weekends. Why should we believe that a simple park on prime space is going to bring suburban people downtown? There are enough parks in the suburbs and downtown. Why not create our own "wrigleyville" or "Fenway Park" atmosphere in between the stadiums, but with skylines and other Cincinnati based themes. We need to create some revenue and keep people downtown. A huge park on the river just sounds like a waste of space to me. Newport and Covington are getting smart about building restaurants and bars and condominiums on the river. Its time we start getting some revenue by doing the same

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I'm with most of you- who cares if a park is in a flood plain and gets under a little water twice a century? It doesn't cost a lot to repair a flooded park... just means you get to turn off the sprinklers for a while...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts