SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 3122 Posts

·
3,241 Posts
New image to go on the new thread, from tonights Echo. It looks to me as though the 2 taller blocks have moved away from the Lewis's building??

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
god that pic is disgusting! :bash: i wouldnt even build the stumps at the back of bootle strand!

·
Registered Abuser
2,834 Posts
yeah, they are pretty ugly.

But its been approved now and all we can do is support it and watch it grow. Its like if you opposed the war, once the army went into iraq you had to support them! thats my opinion anyway, everybody here would obviously prefer the 2nd scheme, but weve got this one - be grateful weve got anything atall.

And i know thats the wrong attitude to settle for 2nd best but what else can ya do?! :)

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Wait and see

That render looks like a rough watercolor and probably doesnt have any of the real detail as yet.

Lets see what the real deal looks like.

Maybe they decided not to spend money on expensive renders given that this is the 3rd redesign and the powers that be seem to be only concerned about the hieght aspects.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I'm not forming any judgement about the aesthetic value of this proposal based on the above render. There's not much definition and I've heard that the devil is in the detail. It's clear that the developers have demonstrated both commitment and a great deal of thought to developing the site. Good luck to them. Overall, it will add density, variety and population to this part of town. Great. Bring it on :yes:

·
Scousish
6,847 Posts
twiz said:
yeah, they are pretty ugly.

But its been approved now and all we can do is support it and watch it grow. Its like if you opposed the war, once the army went into iraq you had to support them! thats my opinion anyway, everybody here would obviously prefer the 2nd scheme, but weve got this one - be grateful weve got anything atall.

And i know thats the wrong attitude to settle for 2nd best but what else can ya do?! :)
Surprisingly perhaps, not everyone on this forum prefered the second design for this site. I for one actually prefer this design (although not this ghastly render of it) for this specific location, although I prefered the second design as a stand alone building I think these towers will fit their immediate environment better. And so in that respect I actually agreed with EH's argument against the second tower, I felt it would have been too dominant for the location and totally over shadowed the real development at the street level. I'd love to see that second tower get built in Liverpool, but just not there.

I'm really pleased this design has been approved, and I'd advise most people to withold judgement until it's finished. This does go to show that just because something is taller, it doesn't instantly make it a better design or a better fit for a specific location. And ultimately it's a personal asthetic judgement as to whether people like this design or not, but no one can argue that it's not a good development that's worthy of our full support. And as L8 has pointed out, this has been a very carefully designed and painstakingly planned development, so I genuinely trust that the finall quality will be something to be proud of.

·
Banned
76 Posts
Hi

Hi Tom,

This second design is second rate. And forget about a tower of 30 storeys on the 051 site. It's never going to happen. Keep dreaming!!!!

·
Banned
196 Posts
Doug Roberts said:
New image to go on the new thread, from tonights Echo. It looks to me as though the 2 taller blocks have moved away from the Lewis's building??

Looks smart IMO. There is an awful lot of value added to the city centre from this development. A lot of bulk, public realm, land uses, and integrations between hitherto separated areas. The design is very nice IMHO. And for those on here who are obsessed with tallness, don't think for one second that this development will be underwhelming. If anything, it will be overwhelming, it will seem very high when you're stood at ground level. Even 14 storeys seems high when you're at ground level, so 25 certainly isn't bad for this location.

That area of the city is a dump and it's about time it got sorted out with something large scale like this. Great news :cheers:

·
Scousish
6,847 Posts
Multivac said:
Looks smart IMO. There is an awful lot of value added to the city centre from this development. A lot of bulk, public realm, land uses, and integrations between hitherto separated areas. The design is very nice IMHO. And for those on here who are obsessed with tallness, don't think for one second that this development will be underwhelming. If anything, it will be overwhelming, it will seem very high when you're stood at ground level. Even 14 storeys seems high when you're at ground level, so 25 certainly isn't bad for this location.

That area of the city is a dump and it's about time it got sorted out with something large scale like this. Great news :cheers:
Quite right Multivac - and let's not forget that the natural elevation of Bold street will mean that it's real height is comparable to Unity or even the Beatham Tower. It's certainly going to be a new landmark for the city and help to add much needed bulk to that area. And, once it's finished I genuinely believe it'll open the way for more talls in that area - the first one is always hardest to get approved, once people get used to the idea they'll be flying up, look what's happened riverside after they got the first Beatham up! Even though it's not the most original or striking design, it's served a valuable purpose in opening up a skyward trend in that area of the city, and this development will do the same.

·
Banned
15,532 Posts
^^Cheers, London. The PI is for the CPO of the shops, rather than the planning permission for the tower. The latter is approved.

The shop owners are obviously holding out for a much moolah as as possible, and have not accepted what they've been offered. Having to go through the CPO process is a pain in the arse, though.

·
Registered
566 Posts
When will they go on site then?

I hope the entrance to Central Station is a good one, perhaps asking for an atrium like the one (station name escapes me) on the Jubilee Line extension would be asking too much?

·
Scousish
6,847 Posts
The PI is a joke, and Awayo has rightly pointed out that it's all about the money, the shop owners are affectively trying to hold the council to ransom by stalling the process in the hope that they get a disproportionately large payout. I'm just glad that the central village project wil suffer no such needless delays.

·
Banned
15,532 Posts
Canary Wharf, the huge underground space designed by Foster and co.? Not really an atrium, being underground like.

·
Scousish
6,847 Posts
That'll do nicely!

The existing entrance is a bit of a disgrace, grubby, dark, small and generally in dire need of updating and expanding. Recent 'refurbishments' have been as effective as putting plasters on a gapping wound - Central station is a regional gateway to the city, with thousands of people travelling in from surrounding areas every day, and what kind of impression does it make? Get me the hell outa here! :runaway:

·
Scousish
6,847 Posts
Liverpool8 said:
Aren't central station and 'central village' separate entities? Will central village (hate that name) have any frontage on Ranelagh Street?
Central village is the collective name for the whole of the new development, which includes the towers, a number of lowrise buildings and the new street/water feature. It backs on to central station and I think there will be some rennovation of central station as part of the scheme, but yes, they are seperate entities. I think confusion arose because people generally refered to the development as the central station development due to it's proximity to central station.

This is taken from the website at www.centralvillage.co.uk

The first phase of the redevelopment is almost complete with Costa already occupying one of the lets (where don't they ocupy these days?).

Not sure about the frontage onto Ranleigh street, but as far as I can make out this won't disturb most of Rapid Hardware, but then there are a lot of new buildings going up, so perhaps they've bought out some of Rapids smaller buildings hear the Lewis's end?

Personally I'm not too bothered by the name, it's a damn site better than simply calling it the 'central quarter'!

1 - 20 of 3122 Posts