SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Miami Beach officials and Cirque do Soleil officials are now in talks to make the Jackie Gleason Theatre a permanent home for Cirque do Soleil. Currently, the "upscale circus" only has two permanent locations, in Las Vegas and Orlando.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/11605276.htm

This would be an awesome attraction for the Beach, and a great new lease on life for Jackie Gleason, which will be losing most of its business (in fact, it already has) to PAC in the coming years.

·
Registered
341 Posts
this would be fantastic news especially if they get the 'soundspace' new world symphony by gehry going at the adjacent corner! That would be a great addition and compliment to the ballet/bass area (collins park) and a nice balance to the PAC which did kind of kill the Gleason.

·
Uncle Frank
17,522 Posts
archifreese said:
this would be fantastic news especially if they get the 'soundspace' new world symphony by gehry going at the adjacent corner! That would be a great addition and compliment to the ballet/bass area (collins park) and a nice balance to the PAC which did kind of kill the Gleason.
Wow I've heard of a Gehry project in Miami Beach but I didn't find any information. Has anyone posted any drawings or renderings?

:)

·
Registered
341 Posts
i had seen it at a commision special meeting about a year ago, there is one rendering i saw ill see if i can find it. They had alot if issues with it in terms of parking and stuff, though it was really trivial since the project looked to add 1,500 spaces in a 5-story garage to be built on the parking lot on the west side of the convention center. As i recall one of the last meetings had a comment from gehry who didn't come to the meeting but had said the requested revisions (cut back s.f. etc.) may cause him to back out of the project due to lack of respect for the project and himself.

the only thing i could find other than newspaper articles was the original zyscovich masterplan. its a huge file but has all the various proposals and stuff, but no Gehry renderings unfortunately.
http://www.miamibeachfl.gov/newcity/depts/rda/ZysReport12-19-02.pdf#search='soundspace%20miami'

1 - 6 of 6 Posts