Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Cirque du Soleil is intrested in South Florida, and are looking for possible locations to make home, they pulled out of the gleason theatre because the city officials werent fast enough or something like that. Now wouldnt it be great for them to move into the vacant Miami Arena or even somewhere else like the Performing Arts District or somewhere else in Miami Beach? What do you guys think would be another good location?

It sounds like the Miami Arena is intrested in Soleil being intrested. lol

Straub says Cirque du Soleil has not asked about Miami Arena
By Eric Kalis
The owner of the Miami Arena said Monday that he is open to the possibility of Cirque du Soleil moving into the vacant facility but has not been contacted by the Montreal-based troupe.
Glenn Straub, a Palm Beach businessman who bought Miami Arena in 2004 for $28 million, said neither he nor his associates have met with representatives of Cirque du Soleil, which may be looking for a South Florida home after plans to take over the Jackie Gleason Theater in Miami Beach fell through last year. Mr. Straub has sought a new use for the former home of the Miami Heat and Florida Panthers since buying the arena.
"I have had no discussion with Cirque du Soleil about the arena," Mr. Straub said. "Anything is possible. I understand they had interest" in other South Florida venues.
Mr. Straub said he is open to outside ideas about how the arena should be used. Florida Marlins officials last year considered parcels directly south of the arena between Northwest Seventh and Fifth streets as a potential site for a new baseball stadium.
"If someone has ideas, I would welcome them," Mr. Straub said. "There have been different ideas about a baseball facility. I know there is plenty of interest in that part of town."
Cirque du Soleil officials are open to exploring South Florida venues but have not specifically considered Miami Arena, said public-relations director Renée-Claude Ménard. "South Florida is still a great destination location, and Cirque du Soleil still believes it could offer a great entertainment proposal," Mr. Ménard said Tuesday.Ý"This being said, we were very disappointed with the outcome from the Jackie Gleason project. But we are always open to possibilities that could arise in the future if any come our way."
Once a leading contender to assume operations at Gleason, Cirque du Soleil officials pulled out of consideration last year hours before a Miami Beach City Commission meeting in which Live Nation, the country's largest concert promoter, was approved for a 15-year lease to run the 2,700-seat city-owned theater.
Had a deal with Cirque du Soleil gone through, the theater would have been closed for two yeas for renovations to accommodate the troupe's acrobatic shows.
Mr. Straub's ongoing litigation with developer Scott Silver would have no bearing on a sale of the arena to Cirque du Soleil, Mr. Straub said. Mr. Silver sued Mr. Straub in September saying that he improperly terminated a deal to sell the arena for $50 million. Mr. Straub filed a countersuit shortly thereafter.
If Cirque du Soleil or another entity is interested in using the arena, they would have to assume control of the arena's operations, Mr. Straub said. "I don't have to control every property," he said. "I won't run it as a day-to-day business that loses money. There is enough competition in the area."

·
Banned
655 Posts
I went in 1999 when there was the temporary Cirque du Soleil in Miami....I think it would be great for the city and it would be another asset to the downtown area like the PAC if indeed this happens.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Might as well get some use out of that arena. And does anyone know who owns those parking lots just east of the Metrorail between Govt Center and Overtown Stations (right beside the arena)? When are they going to put buildings up on those sites?

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
That's such an odd "news" story. The owner of the Miami Arena reports he hasn't had any conversations with Cirque du Soleil and Cirque du Soleil hasn't shown any interest in the Miami Arena. Ummm...OK.

In other news, scientists announced today that an army of robotic squirrels most likely won't conquer the Earth tomorrow...:nuts:

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
So Cirque du Soleil is intrested in South Florida, and are looking for possible locations to make home, they pulled out of the gleason theatre because the city officials werent fast enough or something like that.
Actually it was because they wanted the City of Miami Beach to give them $80 million to do it. Miami Beach with with Live Nation instead since they were seeking no public money.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Cirque du Soleil would have been a great addition to the life of South Beach. Live Nation will bring a few nice B level artists through that cant sell out the AAA, but Cirque would have been a tremendous draw, especially for tourist not interested in night clubs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
SoBe, I kind of disagree with you on part of your B Level artist statement. I'm extremely excited for Live Nation to be opening a "Fillmore" here in miami. We've been missing out on a bunch of acts to just love to play those smaller venues, because we don't have a good one. There seems to be a big shift in the mentality of concert planning and a lot of bands would rather play 2, 3, or sometimes many more days in a row in a smaller venue than playing 1 night in a huge arena (maybe because it slows down the pace of touring). I love the shift, because to me an arena show just kind of sucks (for the most part). Maybe that's because I'm a fan of bands that are more about the music and less about the "show" of a concert and an arena makes me feel too disconnected from the band. But if you look at the shows that big time bands are playing, even as close as Orlando where they have the HOB and Hard Rock Live. Those are both small venues that get jam packed for some big name artists and the experience is fantastic because it's very intimate and there's a lot of energy.

Now, the part in which I agree with your statement. You are completely right when you say that there are bands and acts that can't sell out an arena/amphitheatre (which don't get me started on how I wish I could take over the Bayfront Amp. and make people realize what an incredible venue that could be). And how great would it be when we could not miss those smaller/less known artists just because we don't have somewhere for them to play. Ft. Lauderdale is doing a great job recently with Revolution and Culture Room getting some really great shows. Those are both small but great venues aswell, and there's no reason we shouldn't have some down here. I can't wait for Live Nation to get the renovations done and turn that great theatre into a great venue. It'll be nice for miami to become a great concert destination again because we have been severely lacking lately and there's no excuse for it because we can easily have all kinds of locations, the arena, amp, and theatres that can accomodate all kinds of shows.

A little more back on topic, I agree that is the most pointless article I've seen in a while. It'd be great to have Cirque here full time because they are a big draw and it'd be nice for someone to make use of the Miami Arena for a change. I look forward to the city being able to offer something for everyone, which just makes it a better place to live and a better destination for tourists.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts