Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
City of North America

I am a city fan, a skyscrapers fan and it's my first topic.

However, i try to learn english because i'am a french people. I live in Montreal.

1) What is the 10 biggest city in north américa? ( City prosper and surburban aera)

2) What is the most cultural city in north america?

3) what is the city who have a better seaport, airport, a industrial center? (Canada and USA)

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
For the US it goes something like this.
1. NYC
2. LA
3. Chicago
4. Houston
5. Philadelphia
6. Phoenix
7. San Diego
8. San Antonio
9. Dallas
10. Detroit

·
Registered Idiot
1,671 Posts
With Canada

1. NYC
2. LA
3. Chicago
4. Toronto
5. Houston
6. Montreal
7. Philadelphia
8. Phoenix
9. San Diego
10. San Antonio

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
How did Montreal climb the charts all of a sudden? Is that right? I was just reading about Canada's largest cities and it said Montreal's 2001 population was 1,039,400. Now all of a sudden I read another publication and it says Montreal's population is 1.8million. Nearly 800,000 more people in 4 years. Which one is correct?

·
www.mtlurb.com
2,159 Posts
pwright1 said:
How did Montreal climb the charts all of a sudden? Is that right? I was just reading about Canada's largest cities and it said Montreal's 2001 population was 1,039,400. Now all of a sudden I read another publication and it says Montreal's population is 1.8million. Nearly 800,000 more people in 4 years. Which one is correct?
because of mergers with smaller cities.

Toronto was something like 500k originally, now its 2.4M (city only).

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Oh ok. That explains it. I kind of thought the same thing about Toronto too. I knew I wasn't going crazy. Thanks for the info Malek.

·
Registered
695 Posts
pwright1 said:
MTL's metro is well over 3 million. It's about 3.7million, actually.

...Sorry, I misread your post. The population of Montreal is just over 1.8 million.

·
Registered Idiot
1,671 Posts
The problem with that is Canadian cities are screwed over. Toronto's "urban area" on that list doesnt even include Hamilton for some reason which is obviously part of Toronto's urban area. Its pretty clear they included San Francisco, etc in LA's urban area. The city population thing looks like its probably right though.

·
Registered
102 Posts
DrJoe said:
The problem with that is Canadian cities are screwed over. Toronto's "urban area" on that list doesnt even include Hamilton for some reason which is obviously part of Toronto's urban area. Its pretty clear they included San Francisco, etc in LA's urban area. The city population thing looks like its probably right though.
oh GOD not this again

·
Registered Idiot
1,671 Posts
^ lol I knew someone would say that. Seriously though, no Golden Horseshoe talk or anything. Toronto's "urban area" is the Toronto CMA + Hamilton...end of story, its quite simple.

·
www.mtlurb.com
2,159 Posts
Azn_chi_boi said:
How can the table be old? Its 2005 updated...

like NYC have 8,103,700
Its not accurate because the number you see in that table of Montreal is before the mergers.

Now its around 1.8M

·
Registered
436 Posts
The table may be updated but it is definitely innaccurate. I can only really speak with any certainty concerning the Canadian cities but I would guess that there are others that haven't been updated.
However, the LA figure is roughly correct and doesn't include San Francisco or San Diego.
In terms of actual , physically built-up area, no DrJoe is correct as well. You could drive from Oshawa to Hamilton and barely catch sight of any undeveloped land. You would probably not even notice that there was any there if you passed it there's so little there. Only two spots spring to mind actually and they are both small and being filled in rapidly anyway.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
malek said:
Its not accurate because the number you see in that table of Montreal is before the mergers.

Now its around 1.8M
I'm sorry, I didn't read the top, (of that website I linked)

"The table below includes cities with populations exceeding 100 000 people. All figures are estimates for 2002"

the 2005 thingy is a link...

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.