SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Major Cities Of The Mississippi:

Minneapolis (city~385,378 metro~3.5 million [shared with saint paul])

saint Paul (city~287,501 metro~3.5 million [shared with minneapolis])

Dubuque, Iowa (city~57,222)

Moline, Illinois (city~43,050 metro~379,066 [one of the quad cities])

Davenport, Iowa (city~101,360 metro~379,066 [one of the quad cities])

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
St. Louis (city~356,587 metro~ 2.8 million)

Memphis (city~670,100 metro~1,280,533)

Baton Rouge (city~229,553 metro~774,327)

New Orleans (city~336,644 metro~1.2 million)

·
The Jive is Alive.
1,537 Posts
Nice pics, but where did you get your figures for the Twin Cities' metro area population? As of 2009, the metro pop was 3.26 million. There's no way the area gained some 300,000 people in one year.

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
Nice pics, but where did you get your figures for the Twin Cities' metro area population? As of 2009, the metro pop was 3.26 million. There's no way the area gained some 300,000 people in one year.
It appears that Hyrule is using CSA estimates. 3.5 million is the estimated CSA population. 3.26 million is the estimated MSA population.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OOPS! sorry! haha, i wasnt really paying attention to the names of all the figures for the Twin Cities XD

·
Mostly Sane
2,325 Posts
And another (similar angle) from the Plymouth Bridge. One of the sightseeing cruise boats at the Boom Island Marina in the foreground...

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
Photo of Minneapolis by me, from the Broadway Av bridge, with the Mighty Mississippi in the foreground...

Great photo, Avian. I've always thought this would be one of the most attractive views of downtown if it weren't for that hideous Plymouth Ave. bridge. Such an eyesore.

·
Mostly Sane
2,325 Posts
Great photo, Avian. I've always thought this would be one of the most attractive views of downtown if it weren't for that hideous Plymouth Ave. bridge. Such an eyesore.
Thanks! I don't think of the Plymouth Bridge as an eyesore. Just, perhaps...uninspired and rather dull? But yeah, you can get some great views of the skyline from the Plymouth & Broadway bridges.

There are a couple of pics floating around the net that show both skylines in one shot. But I'd like to see someone try to get into the 3M Headquarters tower and get the view to the west from the top floor. I'll bet that's a great juxtaposition of the two downtowns! You might even see part of the Mississippi River snaking between the two.

I always thought it interesting that, coming into the Twin Cities from Wisconsin on I-94, the first skyline you see is Minneapolis', not St. Paul's. Even though Minneapolis is 9 miles further west.

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
There are a couple of pics floating around the net that show both skylines in one shot. But I'd like to see someone try to get into the 3M Headquarters tower and get the view to the west from the top floor. I'll bet that's a great juxtaposition of the two downtowns! You might even see part of the Mississippi River snaking between the two.
I do have a friend who works at 3M...maybe I could find my way into the building for some shots, but I would bet they've got pretty heavy security. I remember when I was a teenager in the pre-9/11 years, security guards used to let me go up to the top of IDS Center and Dain Rauscher Plaza to get some shots, but I'm afraid those days are long over. :)

I always thought it interesting that, coming into the Twin Cities from Wisconsin on I-94, the first skyline you see is Minneapolis', not St. Paul's. Even though Minneapolis is 9 miles further west.
Is that so? I've never noticed that –but I don't travel back and forth between the border and St. Paul very often. The thing I remember always seeing first from a distance is the Capitol Building, especially at night.

·
Mostly Sane
2,325 Posts
Is that so? I've never noticed that –but I don't travel back and forth between the border and St. Paul very often. The thing I remember always seeing first from a distance is the Capitol Building, especially at night.
Yes, strange, but true :) It happens along I-94 between the 3M HQ and the Sun Ray Shopping Mall. If you look straight ahead along that stretch on a clear day, the buildings on the horizon are the towers of Minneapolis. It's a good 3 or 4 minutes before you see St. Paul in the foreground.

And hey, Jennifat, get your friend to let you into 3M's HQ! There shouldn't be a security issue if you just tell them you want to capture the view of the two skylines. Nothing wrong with that!

·
Registered
296 Posts
i enjoyed seeing most of the pictures on the thread, and, like most, i champion my city favorites, memphis, st. louis, and, perhaps, minneapolis. personally, none of these cities are shown with their most flattering views, particularly new orleans. memphis---approximately half of downtown--- is not shown, and is at such a distance that the beautiful post world war II architecture buildings, etc., are completely unviewed. yet, it is an interesting and extensive trip from a virtual trickle to the gulf. good job and educational for those of us who love learning about other areas.

·
Registered
296 Posts
sltgasm, i adore that dreamy quality of the skyline and the sky. it almost looks like an oil painting. too, the beautiful position and color of the trees makes this picture very, very nice. i realize that we are seeing a north-south linear view of the skyline, but st. louis has some beautiful views looking down the ave. by st. xavier, the st. louis cathedral, etc. some of the prettiest neighborhoods in america are in stl. i never understand why so many people choose to pick out east st. louis and attempt a portrayal of the enitire city based on such an area. good job, especially w/ skyline/tree picture.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Here are a few more of New Orleans, the center of the Port of South Louisiana---the busiest port system in the world:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts