Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,306 Posts
I guess the small cities, except for those having some kind of useful resource, like an arsenal or oil refineries, etc.
But I know one city that wasn't spared in Eastern Europe, and that's Volgograd.
But cities like Warsaw, Belgrade, Sofia, Bucharest, etc. all these capitals, they were bombed either by allied, or by nazi forces. I guess Prague or Budapest were spared, or at least partially

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Minsk had total annihilation.

·
Registered
8,405 Posts
Most of Belgrade was destroyed during WWII

·
Registered
104 Posts
Warsaw's urban fabric for example was almost entirely destroyed, the oldest parts had to be reconstructed from salvaged old plans or even photographs, some land marks such as the royal castle in the centre wasn't reconstructed until late 70's other areas are still waiting on revitalisation. Warsaw was known as quite a beautiful city before WWII with broad avenues and burgeouis dwelings lining its pretty squares and streets. Warsaw unfortunately still bares signs of its brutal destruction.

Belgrade was bombarded several times during WWII but its pre-WWII urbanstructure was largely preserved. Belgrade's ambitious prewar urban plans largely remained unrealized. The communists took over and caused quite the urban chaos, disharmony and hurt the city's infrastructure by non investment or simply bad planning. Like in Warsaw, faceless, inhumane, poor quality living blocks were built to house the surplus of newcomers and homless following the war, although this undertaking largely spared the city's older parts and was in turn constructed on the unbuilt areas across the rivers, unlike in Warsaw.
Due to their near destruction in the previous world war these cities (including Bratislava, Bucharest, Sofia, Minsk, Berlin etc) are not considered particularly beautiful or as tourist hot spots but are extensively developing their new faces and boast some of the most active construction, redevelopment, and rconstruction zones. These places are now exciting and promising.

·
bohemian from Hungary
1,695 Posts
3tmk said:
I guess Prague or Budapest were spared, or at least partially
Budapest???
The Siege of Budapest (between November 3, 1944 and February 16, 1945) was one of the longest and bloodiest battles of WWII.
The fierceness of the battle of Budapest can be compared only to the sieges of Leningrad (St. Petersburg), Stalingrad (Volgograd) and Warsaw.
More than 80,000 Soviet troops and 38,000 German and Hungarian soldiers were killed; about 38,000 Hungarian civilian lives were lost.
Budapest was totally destroyed.

·
Banned
2,980 Posts
There were several american air attacks on Prague in 1945, historical centre was not hit but several plants, some churches, tens houses and the biggest synagogue in Prague were destroyed, about 800 people died. .

During Prague uprising there were heavy combats in the centre and whole city as well.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
i cannot say much about other cities, but the view some people have that Vilnius was spared during WW2 is tottaly wrong, Vilnius did suffered a lot and bigest damage was in it's most beautiful district - oldtown, first rebuildings are starting just now

Newtown

·
I come in peace \V/
11,252 Posts
I think Ljubljana might have seen little or no destructions, Italians did surround the city with 32kilomters of barb wire and population did suffer, but as to destruction of city, I think Ljubljana went through WW2 unscaved.

Athens, Paris, Oslo, Helsinki and Amsterdam suffered little or no destruction during the WW2 as well.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I really don't know anything about Novi Sad, Subotica, Osjek during WWII, were they damaged? Does anybody know?

·
iMod
4,436 Posts
Pavlo said:
Lviv was spared in terms of damage.
Indeed. Lviv was very lucky to make it through without any major damage. It was a key region to control, but it fell pretty easily and avoided much destruction. That's why so many people believe that Lviv is almost frozen in time, because most of the buildings are the originals from centuries ago, and the whole atmosphere of the city was preserved.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Zagreb was spared.

·
hlubach bubach
7,383 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
NEWWORLD said:
I really don't know anything about Novi Sad, Subotica, Osjek during WWII, were they damaged? Does anybody know?
Most cities in Panonnia didn't suffer heavy physical destruction in WWII even though there was a lot of fighting near Osijek between the retreating Wehrmacht and the Red Army. When the Danube was at record low levels last summer all kinds of military equipment from WWII was being found.

Osijek sure suffered in 1991 though !

Most cities in Croatia didn't suffer massive physical destruction in WWII, Zadar unfortunately did.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts