SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you consider yhour regional city or city that you most identify with if you have 2 choices?
When cities are basically between 2 cities of the same cities which do your residents tend to gravitate towards?

I will give the example of one of the most obvious to help explain: Red Deer.

Do Red Deerians {?} tend to gravitate towards or feel more a part of Calgary or Edmonton?
Also if there is a closer city than both of the largest one's do they go there?........example: Kingston. Would Kingstoners tend to gravitate towards Toronto or Montreal or maybe Ottawa because although smaller is an hour closer than Tor/Mon but still more of a day event?

** It's OK to make reaons for your choice but don't turn it into a "city vs city" battle.

·
In mourning
97,549 Posts
I live in Surrey which is sandwiched by Delta and Langley and I never feel like a part of neither cities, instead I see them as Surrey's bedroom suburbs.

·
"The Ignorant Fool"
2,576 Posts
I think you would feel a part of the city that you are linked to by continuous development, transport, media, etc, most closely.
People now talk of "supercities" like the Washington DC, NYC, Boston corridor that is more or less a continuous urban area.
The particular node of urbanization that you identify with probably depends on the above and many other factors. Geographic proximity is still very heavily weighted though.

·
Registered
295 Posts
In Red Deer, I believe Calgary has the edge.
Based on nothing but people I know from Red Deer I would agree lol. Some of my cousins and their friends are from their and they are all huge Flames fans and pretty much hate everything Edmonton. Everytime I'm there most of the people I meet tend to be pro Calgary.

It's funny because it is like as if Red Deer is the actual border between the 2 cities. My mom's family is from Ponoka, which is only about a half hour north, and everyone there is pretty much pro Edmonton.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I live in Surrey which is sandwiched by Delta and Langley and I never feel like a part of neither cities, instead I see them as Surrey's bedroom suburbs.
That's not a really good comparison due to the relatively smaller sizes of Delta and Langley to Surrey. A better comparison for the Vancouver area may be New Westminster between Burnaby and Surrey, although I'm not sure if there really is a good comparison for this thread in BC in general.

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
Umm... Thunder Bay is the centre of Northern Ontario's little universe. Next would be Minneapolis and maybe Winnipeg, though it really has little influence here.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I've found Burlington-ites (?) seem to gravitate more towards TO in terms of classification, even though it falls in Hamilton's CMA and is a helluva lot closer.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya, when I went to Carleton there was always a connection with Kingston eventhough Kingston is a fraction of Ottawa's size. Maybe its the classic Queen's vs Carleton thing.

Here's one for our Quebec forumers.........Trois Riveries. It's about half way between Montreal and QC and Montreal is obviously much larger but QC is more truly the heart of French Canada and TR is very FrancoPhone unlike cosmopolitan Montreal.

·
Registered
855 Posts
this is a great thread.

london is slightly closer to detroit than it is to toronto but people still tend to gravitate more towards TO. detroit is still somewhat important though

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Probably Toronto.

I don't think London would lean into Erie, PA. It's about as significant as Sudbury.

Erie is actually a great example. It's smack dab in the middle between Cleveland and Buffalo/Niagara.

·
38,925 Posts
I wonder whether Buffalo seems the pull of Toronto more, or US cities like Cleveland, Pittsburgh, or even New York.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well for Detroit or Toronto there is really no question..........Toronto.

Another one is Chatham On. Right in the middle of Windsor and London. Also Woodstock.....same distance from London or K/W/C. Its also fairly close to Hamilton.

For Woodstock I would say London but Chatham I really have no idea.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I wonder whether Buffalo seems the pull of Toronto more, or US cities like Cleveland, Pittsburgh, or even New York.
I think Buffalo is big enough to handle itself. That said, if you base it off where their TV stations give tickets for, it's def. Toronto. When they filmed Fraternity Life and Sorority Life shows at that Buffalo college (Niagara University?), they both made their big trips to TO as well. That said, I'd suspect there is more of a draw towards Albany, though I guess the "size" of that one is questionable.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts