Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Rail & Road traveller
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Which cities receive international commuters, people who live in one country and work in another one and make it home every day ?

I think of Geneva and Basel, Switzerland.

Many of the Geneva suburbs are located in nearby France, like Ferney-Voltaire.

I have read that many french residents commute daily to Geneva, working for CERN or the UN. Is that because Geneva is a higher taxed and an expensive city ?

Also Basel is close to the french border, the Basel airport is located in France.
Is Basel also a city receiving many short distance non-swiss commuters ?

As the Öresund Bridge opened in 2000. Copenhagen, Denmark became a destination for swedish commuters from Malmö, Sweden. Before the bridge some already commuted with ferry, mainly those employed by Kastrup Airport.

In 2008 the number swedish residents doing daily commuting was the highest. This was because of the higher salaries in Denmark, but now in 2012 the number of commuters is declining, because of the worth of the swedish currency is increasing, which means less reasons to commute.

What about other cities in the world with international short distance daily commuters? Are there large numbers of people commuting daily between

San Diego-Tijuana , maybe it's an obstacle with the time consuming border procedures.

Padborg-Flensburg Are there many danish or germans commuting daily between those cities. When I travelled the train Copenhagen-Flensburg, almost all the danes exited the train at Padborg, I saw a few german businessmen traveling over the border, don't know if they where daily commuters though. Are these two cities integrated in some way ?

Aachen This city has good communications with nearby Holland and Belgium, there are buses from Aachen to Heerlen, Vaals & Gulpen. I have travelled these buses and there were quite a lot of passengers going all the way. Are there lots of dutch commuting to Aachen for work ?

Heerlen btw was a very strange city like a suburb without a city being suburb to. I didn't find any centre, main square or anything else worth seeing. The train station looked very modern and suburbian, maybe Heerlen is a suburb to Aachen ?

·
Rail & Road traveller
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Possibly Lille?
Probably this is common in most cities along the belgian/french border and belgian/dutch border because they share the same language and currency. Also no border control makes commuting easier.

Probably there are fewer commuters between France & Germany because of the language barrier. What about Strassbourg, Mulhouse ? Any german commuters to those cities ?

In north Sweden the small city of Haparanda may have some border commuters from Finland, because Haparanda is mainly a finnish speaking city.

If there are that many jobs in Haparanda besides the northernmost IKEA.

Kinshasa, People's Republic of Congo (formerly Zaire), 9 million and Brazzaville, Republic of Congo, 1 million - two national capitals on opposite sides of the river.
Do they share the same language ? What about communications, are there ferries that are affordable and sceduled for commuters ?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Which cities receive international commuters, people who live in one country and work in another one and make it home every day ?

I think of Geneva and Basel, Switzerland.

Many of the Geneva suburbs are located in nearby France, like Ferney-Voltaire.

I have read that many french residents commute daily to Geneva, working for CERN or the UN. Is that because Geneva is a higher taxed and an expensive city ?

Also Basel is close to the french border, the Basel airport is located in France.
Is Basel also a city receiving many short distance non-swiss commuters ?

As the Öresund Bridge opened in 2000. Copenhagen, Denmark became a destination for swedish commuters from Malmö, Sweden. Before the bridge some already commuted with ferry, mainly those employed by Kastrup Airport.

In 2008 the number swedish residents doing daily commuting was the highest. This was because of the higher salaries in Denmark, but now in 2012 the number of commuters is declining, because of the worth of the swedish currency is increasing, which means less reasons to commute.

What about other cities in the world with international short distance daily commuters? Are there large numbers of people commuting daily between

San Diego-Tijuana , maybe it's an obstacle with the time consuming border procedures.

Padborg-Flensburg Are there many danish or germans commuting daily between those cities. When I travelled the train Copenhagen-Flensburg, almost all the danes exited the train at Padborg, I saw a few german businessmen traveling over the border, don't know if they where daily commuters though. Are these two cities integrated in some way ?

Aachen This city has good communications with nearby Holland and Belgium, there are buses from Aachen to Heerlen, Vaals & Gulpen. I have travelled these buses and there were quite a lot of passengers going all the way. Are there lots of dutch commuting to Aachen for work ?

Heerlen btw was a very strange city like a suburb without a city being suburb to. I didn't find any centre, main square or anything else worth seeing. The train station looked very modern and suburbian, maybe Heerlen is a suburb to Aachen ?
According to Wikipedia, the Tijuana-San Diego border is the busiest in the world, and in 2005 alone, 41,417,164 people entered the U.S. through this port, the majority being commuters.

I remember crossing by foot when i visited both cities. They didn't even ask for my visa. :lol:

·
No More Italian Mod
39,839 Posts
There are also many commuters on Italian-Swiss border, more precisely on Como-Chiasso border, between Lombardy and Canton Ticino

There is even a line (S11) of Milan suburban railways system which has Chiasso (Switzerland) as terminus

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
The San Diego-Tijuana Border is the most transited in the world. Both Cities account more than 5 million inhabitants.

·
129,072 Posts

·
Rail & Road traveller
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Kinshasa, People's Republic of Congo (formerly Zaire), 9 million and Brazzaville, Republic of Congo, 1 million - two national capitals on opposite sides of the river.
2 cities of 1 million & 10 million people located within a distance of 8 km !!!

As wikipedia describe it:

(although significant political and infrastructure challenges prevent the two cities from functioning with any meaningful connection).

Really??

If this was in the western world there would be motorway bridge here.

Copenhagen-Malmö also separated by water is connected with a bridge. The distance is almost 15km.

·
PRESIDENT OF SPACE
1,782 Posts
It's unbelievable that there is such a huge urban cluster the size of Chicago or Wuhan but it has almost zero modern infrastructure and looks like one enormous shantytown.

Makes you wonder, will it one day develop or would it possibly de-densify if political and economic conditions changed?

·
Rail & Road traveller
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How about Vienna - Bratislava?
I don't think there is a great deal of commuters here.

Some criteria have to be fullfilled:

The area must share the same language

There should be no timeconsuming border control

Also if they have the same currency that's a plus.

Vienna & Bratislava are too much different in language and culture to be developing an international commuter sphere. It's a western city and a eastern one, previously beeing on the other side of the iron curtain.

Also I don't see how San Diego-Tijuana or any other US-Mexican border towns can have so much commuters, due to the extensive border control procedures.

International commuters are quite common between Germany & Austria though. Many germans living in Freilassing commute to nearby Salzburg.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts