SkyscraperCity banner

Which structure do you think is the most recognized FOR its city?

• Sears Tower, Chicago

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Opera House, Sydney

Votes: 11 10.8%
  • Statue of Liberty, New York City

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • CN Tower, Toronto

Votes: 20 19.6%
  • Eiffel Tower, Paris

Votes: 50 49.0%
  • Christ of Redeemer Statue, Rio de Janerio

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Tower Bridge, London

Votes: 1 1.0%
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Skyscraper
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every city has a certain structure or building that stands, out and represents more than anything else in that city. But certain cities have structures that really stand out.

Which structure do you think is the most recognized FOR its city?

·
Registered
91 Posts
From these I chose the Opera House in Sydney. Surely the Statue of Liberty and the Eiffel Tower are better known, but there are other structures as well standing out in those cities i.e. the Empire State Building in NYC. But every time I hear Sydney mentioned I instantly think of the Opera House and almost all pictures I see from Sydney show the Opera House.

btw, where's Cairo & the Pyramids?

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
In the US, I'd say there is one city so dominated by one structure (physically, emotionally, spiritously, symbollically) in a way that no other city approaches, the most all pervassive and all encompassing symbol:

that would be the relationship between St. Louis and the Gateway Arch

·
SSLL
8,354 Posts
I think most people see Westminster and its clocktower (and Big Ben) as more iconic of London than Tower Bridge (which every tourist thinks is London Bridge).

How about LA and the Hollywood sign? Or Seattle and the Space Needle? Washington and the US Capitol building, White House or Washington Monument? Rome and the Coliseum?

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
I agree about St Louis with its Arch.

Anyways, in Chicago, the Sears tower dont really stand out because of its huge skyline, however the Smirft-Stone Building does or the Buckingham fountain.

·
Banned
4,572 Posts
no way for Chicago and the Sears Tower. When I think of Chicago..im thinking more of Hancock--which is its trademark tower.

Definely the Eiffel Tower, CN Tower, the Arch

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Pack up the Transamerica Pyramid, cable cars, Ferry Bldg, Coit Tower, Union Sq, the Wharf, Chinatown, Alcatraz, Lombard St corkscrew, etc.

Nothing screams San Francisco the way the Golden Gate Bridge does. What an unbelievabl gorgeous structure, unmatched by any other bridge in the world.

G

·
edsg25 said:
Nothing screams San Francisco the way the Golden Gate Bridge does. What an unbelievabl gorgeous structure, unmatched by any other bridge in the world.
I can think of quite a few nicer looking bridges throughout the world and quite a few longer ones too.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts