SkyscraperCity banner

281 - 300 of 746 Posts

·
Part Time Contributor
43,264 Posts
3 and 5 Nun Street

2014/1380/01/LBC | Listed Building Application: Internal and external works to include removal and replacement of partition walls and internal doors, repair and upgrade to building fabric, plumbing and electrics to create 4 self contained apartments, alterations to elevations to include upgrade of window frames to front, a new window to the rear and replacement doors to Grainger Market Entrance. | Former Kelly Bedding 5 Nun Street Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 5AG

Reference 2014/1380/01/LBC
Alternative Reference PP-03584501
Application Received Fri 15 Aug 2014
Application Validated Mon 01 Sep 2014
Address Former Kelly Bedding 5 Nun Street Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 5AG
Proposal Listed Building Application: Internal and external works to include removal and replacement of partition walls and internal doors, repair and upgrade to building fabric, plumbing and electrics to create 4 self contained apartments, alterations to elevations to include upgrade of window frames to front, a new window to the rear and replacement doors to Grainger Market Entrance.
Status Registered
Decision Not Available
https://publicaccessapplications.newcastle.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=NACK2HBSMNE00

2014/1379/01/DET | Change of use from shops (Class A1) to 3 no. 1 bedroom apartments and 1 no. 2 bedroom apartment (Class C3) and alterations to elevations. | Former Kelly Bedding 5 Nun Street Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 5AG

eference 2014/1379/01/DET
Alternative Reference PP-03584501
Application Received Fri 15 Aug 2014
Application Validated Mon 01 Sep 2014
Address Former Kelly Bedding 5 Nun Street Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 5AG
Proposal Change of use from shops (Class A1) to 3 no. 1 bedroom apartments and 1 no. 2 bedroom apartment (Class C3) and alterations to elevations.
Status Registered
Decision Not Available
https://publicaccessapplications.newcastle.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=NACK24BSMNC00

From the Design & Access Statement:

The project aims to refurbish the existing, empty building with;

• one bedroom apartment at first floor level
• two no. one bedroom apartments at second floor level
• two bedroom apartment at third floor level
• there is to be no works to front of the Listed Building
• new window to the rear at first floor level to match existing (facing over Grainger Market)
• conservation style roof lights

This is the building - flats are to be above Park Cards:

Image hosted on www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Another Planning Application to link with the above:

2015/0360/01/LBC | Listed Building Application: Internal alterations to include new staircase between level 01 and level 2 and new fire door between 3 Nun Street and 5 Nun Street on level 01 | 5 Nun Street Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 5AG

Reference 2015/0360/01/LBC
Alternative Reference PP-04024076
Application Received Fri 06 Mar 2015
Application Validated Mon 23 Mar 2015
Address 5 Nun Street Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 5AG
Proposal Listed Building Application: Internal alterations to include new staircase between level 01 and level 2 and new fire door between 3 Nun Street and 5 Nun Street on level 01
Status Registered
Decision Not Available
https://publicaccessapplications.newcastle.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=NKSN1QBSHZP00
Work commenced on this redevelopment, scaffolding being erected 7th May 2015:

Images hosted on www.steve-ellwood.org.uk

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Westgate Hill (Big Lamp) apartments

Bodge job judging by the materials used. It looks a lot different in considered photographs. They've been struggling with the wall against the pavement. Old brick with stone copes combo. They bodged that too. The painters were on the little railing this morning. 'That paint's holding it together!' 'Yes', they replied ...
Had a wander round from Westgate Hill onto Swinburne Terrace which overlooks the Summerhill Bowling Club and Summerhill Park.
There is a nice view now up to St Matthews Church. Lovely spot.
A neighbour of the new YHN/Leazes Homes properties came out. He said the residents were given assurances about the likely future tenants. He mentioned 'young professionals' but not sure that's their usual social housing business model? I wondered if I could get in there with that entry criteria? Young? :eek:hno: professional? :eek:hno:
Doesn't look as though the grey render will be painted. The resident thought it could have been a 'reddy' colour.
He said it now gives a great view over 'the mill' which was the wood yard I knew as a kid round there.
At least the scheme has revived new life into some buildings that were deteriorating. If only a few more of the old properties on Westgate Hill can have something similar done.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Difficult to compare other Euro cities with the UK as you often find that more people are living in City Centres (renting), compared with the British obsession with owning a house (invariably leading to building in the suburbs where you need a car).

You could argue that there should be public transport to these areas, but with the cutting of costs everywhere, this ain't going to happen...of course the fact that it's more convenient to take the car and less troublesome than have to share the bus, that's not going to help the take up either...

·
Registered
406 Posts
Difficult to compare other Euro cities with the UK as you often find that more people are living in City Centres (renting), compared with the British obsession with owning a house (invariably leading to building in the suburbs where you need a car).

You could argue that there should be public transport to these areas, but with the cutting of costs everywhere, this ain't going to happen...of course the fact that it's more convenient to take the car and less troublesome than have to share the bus, that's not going to help the take up either...
The recession killed off Labour's urban renaissance agenda which was focussed on promoting urban living with high density housing on urban sites. The aspirations were not necessarily shared with the major house builders, who at best normally crammed housing closer together and adopted tactics such as turning two and three bedroom houses into three and four bedroom houses, simply by putting an extra bedroom into the attic. St James Village and Bishops Park in Gateshead are lessons of what should be avoided. Dunston on the other hand is something more positive.

In city centres the concept of 'city centre' living rather than being developments of spacious apartments big enough for families with generous amenity spaces and undergound car parking, became buy to let investments with pokey flats that even the smallest kitten would have great difficulty being swung around in.

From a transport perspective, investment has been lacking - maybe a shiny bus stop paid for by the developer and a few lines for a token cycle route but that was about it. There is also the disaster that was maximum standards for parking in new development regardless of where they were and the pubic transport that dd not serve them which had the unintended consequences of creating new residential streets that have become a slalom course between cars blocking pavements.

The Urban Task Force's Report which set the scene for the Urban White Paper and the push to develop brownfield sites were aspirational enough, as was John Prescotts 10-year transport plan. However, the result except for some notable examples has become a sort of dystopia. In planning terms, were now back to the 1980's where planning policy is allowing new development to come forward for supply reasons above others. Yes, there is a shortage. Yes, this means developing on green fields but if this is at the expense of being able to promote alternative ways of living and denying people that choice is that a good thing.

Similarly is denying people the choice of how they travel by forcing them through lack of parking of the cost of driving on to buses or equally by placing them on an estate at the edge of a ring road with no public transport or local facilities a good thing? Having a real choice would be better.

·
Registered
19,653 Posts
Former Summerhill 269 - 271 Westgate Road & Former Stephen Easten Ltd, Westgate Hill Grange, 273 - 275 Westgate Road - pictures 17/05/15

Had a wander round from Westgate Hill onto Swinburne Terrace which overlooks the Summerhill Bowling Club and Summerhill Park.
There is a nice view now up to St Matthews Church. Lovely spot.
A neighbour of the new YHN/Leazes Homes properties came out. He said the residents were given assurances about the likely future tenants. He mentioned 'young professionals' but not sure that's their usual social housing business model? I wondered if I could get in there with that entry criteria? Young? :eek:hno: professional? :eek:hno:
Doesn't look as though the grey render will be painted. The resident thought it could have been a 'reddy' colour.
He said it now gives a great view over 'the mill' which was the wood yard I knew as a kid round there.
At least the scheme has revived new life into some buildings that were deteriorating. If only a few more of the old properties on Westgate Hill can have something similar done.
Initially covered on these 2 posts from Steve Ellwood:-

Former Stephen Easten Ltd, Westgate Hill Grange, 273 - 275 Westgate Road http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=110678309&postcount=134

AND

Former Summerhill 269 - 271 Westgate Road http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=110937801&postcount=136

subsequently covered by myself in posts # 190, 207 and 263 (progress pictures) and more recently by others since "the grey box" arrived on posts 263, 269, 270, 273 - 280 and last on Adrian's post 282 (above)

These pictures by myself Sunday 17/05/15 showing rear elevations of the properties - taken when having a long 30 minute lunchtime wander around the Summerhill Conservation Area

and this showing "the grey box" as viewed through the trees from east end of Winchester Terrace

(Summerhill Conservation Area pictures to be posted on "Historic Newcastle" thread in due course)

Images hosted on Photobucket

KEN

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Has anyone seen this one yet? - Another planning application for an extension onto Rialto flats on Melbourne Street by adding another 3 floors! (which was only extended 2 years ago) - must be a nightmare for those current residents with disruption, nevermind the constant changes to all the owner's leases. A legal minefield.

Tried to copy and paste the text but the Council website is down...
2014/0249/01/DET | Erection of 2/3 storey extension over existing 5 storey section of the apartment block creating 5 apartments (Class C3) | Rialto Melbourne Street Newcastle upon Tyne

Reference 2014/0249/01/DET
Alternative Reference PP-03182393
Application Received Mon 10 Feb 2014
Application Validated Mon 10 Feb 2014
Address Rialto Melbourne Street Newcastle upon Tyne
Proposal Erection of 2/3 storey extension over existing 5 storey section of the apartment block creating 5 apartments (Class C3)
Status Registered
Decision Not Available
Appeal Status Unknown
Appeal Decision Not Available
https://publicaccessapplications.newcastle.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=N0SI1ABSJN600
As is often the case on controversial applications the documents are unavailable. Hmmm.

I ve objected. The people I feel for [if there are any left] are the poor sods who bought property here as an upmarket city centre residence, only to find it colonised by students.
Granted Conditionally - 7th April 2014
I see there has been another Planning Application for this proposed development:

2014/0917/01/DET | Erection of 2/3 storey extension over existing 5 storey section of the apartment block creating 8 apartments (Class C3) | Rialto Melbourne Street Newcastle upon Tyne

Reference 2014/0917/01/DET
Alternative Reference PP-03443364
Application Received Thu 05 Jun 2014
Application Validated Fri 15 Aug 2014
Address Rialto Melbourne Street Newcastle upon Tyne
Proposal Erection of 2/3 storey extension over existing 5 storey section of the apartment block creating 8 apartments (Class C3)
Status Registered
Decision Not Available
https://publicaccessapplications.newcastle.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=N6P01BBSLHZ00
On top of this building

DSCN8828 by stamford0001, on Flickr
17th May 2015

Building well under way

DSCN8639 by stamford0001, on Flickr

DSCN8640 by stamford0001, on Flickr

DSCN8641 by stamford0001, on Flickr

DSCN8642 by stamford0001, on Flickr

·
Part Time Contributor
43,264 Posts
Partial building collapse on Westgate Road in Newcastle leaves two people injured

From today's Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/partial-building-collapse-westgate-road-9332433
Partial building collapse on Westgate Road in Newcastle leaves two people injured
13:40, 26 May 2015 By Michael Marsh

The view of a building which partially collapsed on Westgate Road, Newcastle

Part of a building has collapsed in Newcastle, leaving two people injured.

Police believe a JCB digger crashed into the side of the property at 274 Westgate Road, by Corporation Street, shortly before 10.30am on Tuesday. The building has been under renovation for some time and is thought to be empty.

Two men were injured by the partial collapse, with one taken to the Royal Victoria Infirmary with non-life threatening injuries. The other received medical treatment at the scene.

Eye-witness Clifford Jones said: “For some time the back of the building has had a lot of brick work missing from above what was a Georgian-style doorway. I was on the bus on my way home when I saw it. There was one ambulance, a police car and a fire engine. It is the last house before the row of shops, next to Your Homes Newcastle. Work has been taking place on it for some time and it was still being renovated.”

A Northumbria Police spokesman said: “Emergency services were called to a collapsed building, on a building site on 274 Westgate Road in Newcastle, by Corporation Street at 10.28am, on Tuesday, May 26. “This is a building under renovation and it is believed a JCB has crashed into the side of the building causing part of the building to collapse. It is believed that two men have been injured. One of the injured was taken to the Royal Victoria Infirmary, his injuries are not believed to be life threatening. The other man received medical treatment at the scene. The Health and Safety Executive are attending to make enquiries into the incident.”

A 'before shot" from Ken posted 18th May 2015:

Former Stephen Easten Ltd, Westgate Hill Grange, 273 - 275 Westgate Road http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=110678309&postcount=134

AND

Former Summerhill 269 - 271 Westgate Road http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=110937801&postcount=136

subsequently covered by myself in posts # 190, 207 and 263 (progress pictures) and more recently by others since "the grey box" arrived on posts 263, 269, 270, 273 - 280 and last on Adrian's post 282 (above)

These pictures by myself Sunday 17/05/15 showing rear elevations of the properties - taken when having a long 30 minute lunchtime wander around the Summerhill Conservation Area

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
^^^^
I arrived just by chance on the scene at the front on Westgate Road.

Plenty of emergency services attending: four fire engines, two ambulances and two police vehicles.
Was taking some pictures but a fireman told me to stop.

I was under the impression this building was the private residence rather than the YHN rental property?

·
Part Time Contributor
43,264 Posts
^^^^
I arrived just by chance on the scene at the front on Westgate Road.

Plenty of emergency services attending: four fire engines, two ambulances and two police vehicles.
Was taking some pictures but a fireman told me to stop.

I was under the impression this building was the private residence rather than the YHN rental property?
Not sure that the Chronicle has got the right number for the building, odd numbers are on the south side of Westgate Hill - this looks to me to be the former Stephen Easten building at 273 - 275 Westgate Road, the right hand building in Ken's image.

I'm sure that building has planning permission as a single dwelling.

·
Registered
19,653 Posts
Former Summerhill 269 - 271 Westgate Road & Former Stephen Easten Ltd, Westgate Hill Grange, 273 - 275 Westgate Road - pictures 23/05/15

Follow up on my post #285 of 18/05/15

Former Stephen Easten Ltd, Westgate Hill Grange, 273 - 275 Westgate Road on post #134

AND

Former Summerhill 269 - 271 Westgate Road on post #136

subsequently covered by myself in posts # 190, 207 and 263 (progress pictures) and more recently by others since "the grey box" arrived on posts 263, 269, 270, 273 - 280, 282 and last in my post 285 (excluding the 26/05/15 posts about the impact damage)

These pictures by myself Saturday 23/05/15 approx 1115 showing front elevations of the properties - taken when having another wander around the Summerhill Conservation Area (pictures to follow)

KEN

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Not sure that the Chronicle has got the right number for the building, odd numbers are on the south side of Westgate Hill - this looks to me to be the former Stephen Easten building at 273 - 275 Westgate Road, the right hand building in Ken's image.

I'm sure that building has planning permission as a single dwelling.
you are spot on Steve about this building being a single development, I remember it being on Newcastle planning portal as a single development
from a few months ago.cheers

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Former Stephen Easten building 273-275 Westgate Road

2013/1538/01/DET | Change of use of existing office building to single dwellinghouse (Class C3) and demolition of existing industrial building to west of office. | Former Stephen Easten Ltd Westgate Hill Grange 273 - 275 Westgate Road Newcastle upon Tyne NE4 6BY

Reference 2013/1538/01/DET
Alternative Reference Not Available
Application Received Wed 10 Jul 2013
Address Former Stephen Easten Ltd Westgate Hill Grange 273 - 275 Westgate Road Newcastle upon Tyne NE4 6BY
Proposal Change of use of existing office building to single dwellinghouse (Class C3) and demolition of existing industrial building to west of office.
Status Granted Conditionally
http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MPPZWEBS0EQ00

Westgate Hill Grange was built for Mr. John Edward Bowser who was Managing Director of The Bamboro Steamship Limited.

Reading the application documents it is good to see that the Grade II Listed griifin statues are to be replaced on either side of the front doorway. They had been removed when the building became empty.

Name: 2 GRIFFINS IN FRONT OF WESTGATE GRANGE
List entry Number: 1338566
Grade: II
Date first listed: 30-Mar-1987

Details

NZ 2364 SE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE WESTGATE ROAD (south side) 18/601 2 griffins in front of Westgate Grange GV II 2 Statues. Circa 1872. Formerly finials on roof of Mining Institute, Westgate Road (q.v.). Removed in 1958 and set on steps in front of No. 271. Griffins, about one metre high, sitting upright and holding long scroll which is draped over shoulder of each.

Listing NGR: NZ2390964144
Source English Heritage @ http://list.english-heritage.org.uk/resultsingle.aspx?uid=1338566

These images of Westgate Grange taken May 2002:

Images hosted on http://ellwood.fototime.com/Westgate Road/Westgate Hill
This is the original PA.
Let's hope the workmen are both ok from the accident yesterday.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,264 Posts
3 Nun Street

Another upper level of Nun Street proposed to be returned to housing - this one at 3 Nun Street is above the Electric Repair Agency shop.

2015/0407/01/DET | Change of use of 1st to 3rd floors from retail (Class A1) to a residential apartment (Class C3) and refurbishment of shop front at ground floor | 3 Nun Street Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 5AG

Reference 2015/0407/01/DET
Alternative Reference PP-04024124
Application Validated Fri 27 Mar 2015
Address 3 Nun Street Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 5AG
Proposal Change of use of 1st to 3rd floors from retail (Class A1) to a residential apartment (Class C3) and refurbishment of shop front at ground floor
Status Registered
Decision Not Available
https://publicaccessapplications.newcastle.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=NKSN2OBSHZR00

2015/0408/01/LBC | Listed Building Application: Alterations to elevations to include refurbishment of existing shop front at ground floor level and internal alterations to create a 2 bedroom apartment at 1st - 3rd floors | 3 Nun Street Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 5AG

eference 2015/0408/01/LBC
Alternative Reference PP-04024124
Application Validated Fri 27 Mar 2015
Address 3 Nun Street Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 5AG
Proposal Listed Building Application: Alterations to elevations to include refurbishment of existing shop front at ground floor level and internal alterations to create a 2 bedroom apartment at 1st - 3rd floors
Status Registered
Decision Not Available
https://publicaccessapplications.newcastle.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=NKSN2QBSHZS00
Both of above Granted Conditionally

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Take a look at the first of Ken's pictures of Eastons offices (that were). There's a new window hole been made, to the left of the front door, but the hole is unpropped. They must've done the same thing round the back. Lucky it was a former builder's premises and the brickwork was well maintained.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,264 Posts
1 Summerhill Street

Interesting PA for number 1 Summerhill Street.

https://publicaccessapplications.newcastle.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=NO8EIHBSJCP00

This was the original home of the Big Lamp Brewery and I remember it as an undertakers. I can recall newly constructed coffins being propped up outside on the street!
Now that would make a photograph.

This is a photograph that I took back in May 2002 of the building:

Image hosted on www.steve-ellwood.org.uk

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I'm sure I have seen a photograph of a coffin somewhere on the netty.
Next door to number 1 is the old Martins Bank which is empty but also a very fine building.
Although this is under City Centre residential I always considered this area to be part of the West End.

·
Registered
19,653 Posts
1 Summerhill Street, Newcastle - pictures 23/05/15

Pictures by myself from Saturday 23/05/15 approx 1100 showing the condition at that time of 1 Summerhill St and the adjacent buildings

KEN

·
Registered
196 Posts
281 - 300 of 746 Posts