SkyscraperCity banner

121 - 140 of 746 Posts

·
12,582 Posts
The Bar apartments have declined in the three years I have lived there, so much so that I cannot wait to move out. Maybe its because I'm getting older (and miserable at the age of 26) but the noise levels from the gay scene and Times Sq are getting unbearable. Not so much music - though it is a factor sometimes - more the constant shouting, screaming and arguments of drunken dickheads virtually every night. Probably not a patch on the Bigg Market mind thank god. Couple this with morons who treat the place like a litter bin with half eaten pizzas and packets of chips dumped around the entrance or worse in the ground floor carpet.

We live on the front facing Times Square and one of the apartments opposite and above us must be rented out at weekends, which is prohibited by the management company. It seems to attract stag and hen gangs who seem to think opening their windows, blasting out music and screaming down to mates outside is normal behaviour in the middle of the night.

Add in that a brothel was found to be operating somewhere in the building and it just adds to a general feeling of decline of what used to be a quiet development despite being in the city. It never used to be like this so maybe landlords have reduced their rents to get the apartments rented out to anyone who will fill them.
Mrs Np and I viewed some flats in there a while ago and on the face of it very nice. Good finish etc.. but there was just something of the halls of residence about the place. The public spaces seemed a bit sketchy... and the flat which seemed to have all of the widows covered in tin foil suggested either an unhealthy interest in a'hem gardening or a fear that the CIA was watching...... was indicative of something.

A friend [if that makes sense] owns a flat there that she rents out and tells of a letter from the management company to the effect that so many flats had been repo-ed that they were not getting enough income to cover the cleaning in the halls etc, but that she still had to pay the mgt charges [or else].

It's part of a bigger problem with lots of the new builds - Baltic is the same. Sold off plan, buy to let. Owners go skint [or are desparate] and they rent to anyone anytime.

Close to me is the Rialto - built with some 3 bedded top quality appts - family type. Now it's pretty much full of students. Imagine buying your 280k penthouse, only to have students playing cricket in the corridors.

Much less of a problem with the older blocks; Love Lane, Milk Market etc.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,265 Posts
Hanover Square

2013/0870/01/DET | Erection of 6 storey residential development providing 25 residential flats (Class C3) | Hanover Square Newcastle upon Tyne, NE13

Reference 2013/0870/01/DET
Alternative Reference PP-02615139
Application Received Tue 18 Jun 2013
Address Hanover Square Newcastle upon Tyne, NE13
Proposal Erection of 6 storey residential development providing 25 residential flats (Class C3)
Status Pending Consideration
http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MOY34XBS01R00
This Planning Application has been WITHDRAWN - which is a bit of a coincidence as I was down there this morning and took some photographs. Will post the images later. Appears that a revised PA for the site will be submitted at a later date.

Photographs taken this morning - 4th September 2013:

Images hosted on http://ellwood.fototime.com/Hanover Square and Hanover Street

As can be seen from the images this is a tiny plot and it makes me wonder how they would have managed to get the plant in to make the apartments.

·
Registered
19,659 Posts
Quayside Lofts, Close, Newcastle Quayside - proposed ground floor flats, 26/09/13

Covered earlier in posts between #89 and 107 this thread

These photographs by myself 26/09/13 approx 1300 to show current state of this scheme - images hosted on Photobucket

Not sure if any work started yet but they know the market value that they hope for

KEN

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I'd imagine they are old posters from when they were trying to sell them as retail units. You would never get that price/rent for a ground floor flat in Newcastle.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,265 Posts
Bruce Building

Bruce Building to be sold

The historical Bruce Building on the University campus has been sold to a developer so it can be transformed into a new mixed-use development.

Most of the Bruce Building is currently vacant but plans are in progress for Michigan Investments Limited to develop it and create sixty high specification studio and one bedroom apartments as well as a café/restaurant, retail units and serviced offices.

The Bruce Building on Percy Street, was unveiled in 1900, by local architect Joseph Oswald, as the headquarters of Newcastle Breweries. Over a hundred years later, the Grade II listed building is still partially in use and will again be fully utilised once the development is complete.

This landmark building is set over three storeys and has many of the original striking features and detailing. Bought by Kings College of Durham University in the 1950’s, it then became part of Newcastle University in 1963.

Professor Tony Stevenson, Pro Vice Chancellor for Planning and Resources at Newcastle University, said: "We have taken this decision for financial reasons. The Bruce Building was empty and we had no identified use for it. Significant expenditure was required to keep the building safe and weatherproof. For this reason we decided it was best to sell the building so it could be developed for other uses."

Mark Walton, Director of Michigan Investments, said: "The project will transform the interior of this landmark building into an exciting new mixed-use development. Michigan Investments have acquired an exceptional property which is currently under utilised and requires care and attention to bring it back to its former glory. We are looking forward to seeing the finished article improve the landscape at this end of the City."

published on: 3rd June 2013, source: NU Connections - Newcastle University Staff Newsletter (not available to the public)
Planning Applications have now appeared on the NCC Planning Portal for this development as:

2013/1430/01/DET | Change of use of 105/111 Percy Street from (Class A1) retail to (Class A3) restaurant: basement and ground floor of 115 Percy Street from (Class D1) education use to (Class A3) restaurant use: and first floor from (Class D1) education use to (Class B1) office use; conversion of first, second and third floors of 101 to 115 Percy Street to create 60 self-contained studio apartments, including alteration to roof of 103-111 Percy Street to include rear dormer window extensions and six roof lights to front: erection of 1x3 storey and 1x4 storey stairwell, extract flue, ventilation grills, single storey entrance foyer and ramp to rear and insertion of oriel window to second floor front elevation. | Bruce Building 101 - 115 Percy Street Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RY

Reference 2013/1430/01/DET
Alternative Reference PP - 02895699
Application Received Thu 19 Sep 2013
Address Bruce Building 101 - 115 Percy Street Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RY
Proposal Change of use of 105/111 Percy Street from (Class A1) retail to (Class A3) restaurant: basement and ground floor of 115 Percy Street from (Class D1) education use to (Class A3) restaurant use: and first floor from (Class D1) education use to (Class B1) office use; conversion of first, second and third floors of 101 to 115 Percy Street to create 60 self-contained studio apartments, including alteration to roof of 103-111 Percy Street to include rear dormer window extensions and six roof lights to front: erection of 1x3 storey and 1x4 storey stairwell, extract flue, ventilation grills, single storey entrance foyer and ramp to rear and insertion of oriel window to second floor front elevation.
http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MTKPOTBS0EQ00

2013/1431/01/LBC | Listed Building Application: Erection of 1x3 storey and 1x4 storey stairwell, extract flue, single storey entrance foyer, access ramp and insertion of air ventilation grills following demolition of single storey entrance corridor to rear; internal alterations including kitchen and wc's to basement; removal of wc's and creation of disabled wc's to ground floor; re-opening of oriel window and removal of internal walls to second floor and removal of stairwell to first and second floors; and subdivision of rooms to third floor. | Bruce Building 101 - 115 Percy Street Newcastle upon Tyne

Reference 2013/1431/01/LBC
Alternative Reference PP - 02895699
Application Received Thu 19 Sep 2013
Address Bruce Building 101 - 115 Percy Street Newcastle upon Tyne
Proposal Listed Building Application: Erection of 1x3 storey and 1x4 storey stairwell, extract flue, single storey entrance foyer, access ramp and insertion of air ventilation grills following demolition of single storey entrance corridor to rear; internal alterations including kitchen and wc's to basement; removal of wc's and creation of disabled wc's to ground floor; re-opening of oriel window and removal of internal walls to second floor and removal of stairwell to first and second floors; and subdivision of rooms to third floor.
http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MTKR0DBS0EQ00

·
Part Time Contributor
43,265 Posts
Former Tyne Moulds And Machinery Co Ltd Hanover Square

13/00478/NRE | Notification of Prior Approval: Conversion of former office premises (Class B1) to residential (Class C3) | Former Tyne Moulds And Machinery Co Ltd Hanover Square Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 3NP

Reference 13/00478/NRE
Alternative Reference Not Available
Application Received Mon 30 Sep 2013
Address Former Tyne Moulds And Machinery Co Ltd Hanover Square Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 3NP
Proposal Notification of Prior Approval: Conversion of former office premises (Class B1) to residential (Class C3)
http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MTZLJDBS0EQ00

This is the location plan submitted with the PA:

These images of the building in question taken over the years:

Images hosted on http://ellwood.fototime.com/Hanover Square and Hanover Street

·
Registered
196 Posts
Mrs Np and I viewed some flats in there a while ago and on the face of it very nice. Good finish etc.. but there was just something of the halls of residence about the place. The public spaces seemed a bit sketchy... and the flat which seemed to have all of the widows covered in tin foil suggested either an unhealthy interest in a'hem gardening or a fear that the CIA was watching...... was indicative of something.

A friend [if that makes sense] owns a flat there that she rents out and tells of a letter from the management company to the effect that so many flats had been repo-ed that they were not getting enough income to cover the cleaning in the halls etc, but that she still had to pay the mgt charges [or else].

It's part of a bigger problem with lots of the new builds - Baltic is the same. Sold off plan, buy to let. Owners go skint [or are desparate] and they rent to anyone anytime.

Close to me is the Rialto - built with some 3 bedded top quality appts - family type. Now it's pretty much full of students. Imagine buying your 280k penthouse, only to have students playing cricket in the corridors.

Much less of a problem with the older blocks; Love Lane, Milk Market etc.
The best thing we ever did was carry out "right to manage" at our block. We are across the road from Rialto - and Ive heard bad press about the short term tenants that live in there. A bunch of us flat owners clubbed together and formed our own management company and ditched the ones who were looking after the place - we put our all into it, make sure service charges are paid on time and come down hard on anyone who is unruly. We have had 2 lots of tenants evicted in 12 months. The result - a well run block. The problem with most block management companies is they run scores of blocks and don't have the time or people to look after the places.

What your friend was told about flats being reposessed and they weren't getting enough management charges speaks volumes about incompetent managing agents. We had a flat reposessed in our block - we simply told the bank that had reposessed it that they would now have to pay the charges themselves. They resisted initially until we told them under the leasehold act we can have the flat off them...

·
12,582 Posts
The best thing we ever did was carry out "right to manage" at our block. We are across the road from Rialto - and Ive heard bad press about the short term tenants that live in there. A bunch of us flat owners clubbed together and formed our own management company and ditched the ones who were looking after the place - we put our all into it, make sure service charges are paid on time and come down hard on anyone who is unruly. We have had 2 lots of tenants evicted in 12 months. The result - a well run block. The problem with most block management companies is they run scores of blocks and don't have the time or people to look after the places.

What your friend was told about flats being reposessed and they weren't getting enough management charges speaks volumes about incompetent managing agents. We had a flat reposessed in our block - we simply told the bank that had reposessed it that they would now have to pay the charges themselves. They resisted initially until we told them under the leasehold act we can have the flat off them...
Yep I think you re across the road from me :). I know a couple of people who ve lived in the Rialto and whilst they were great girls and a good laugh.. I d not wan them as neighbours. My reading is that it's almost exclusively a student block now.

The right to manage makes a lot of sense, but you were probably lucky with a lot of owner occupiers. As soon as the block tips over the edge into BTL it can get a lot harder; and of course you have to have the right team running the block [conscientious board].

As to the Bar, if I were cynical I'd not be surprised if they were being paid by the lenders but just used it as an excuse to reduce services to a minimum.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,265 Posts
Former Tyne Moulds And Machinery Co Ltd Hanover Square

13/00478/NRE | Notification of Prior Approval: Conversion of former office premises (Class B1) to residential (Class C3) | Former Tyne Moulds And Machinery Co Ltd Hanover Square Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 3NP

Reference 13/00478/NRE
Application Received Mon 30 Sep 2013
Address Former Tyne Moulds And Machinery Co Ltd Hanover Square Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 3NP
Proposal Notification of Prior Approval: Conversion of former office premises (Class B1) to residential (Class C3)
http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MTZLJDBS0EQ00
I see this Planning Application has been withdrawn - this is a quote from the Decision Notice:

'Further to recent discussion/correspondence in relation to the above, I confirm that the submission has been treated as withdrawn and that no further action will be taken upon it.

If at any future date you wish to proceed with the above scheme, it will be necessary to prepare and submit an entirely new proposal.'

·
Part Time Contributor
43,265 Posts
Saint Nicholas Chambers, Amen Corner

13/00601/NRE | Notification of Prior Approval: Change of use of 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors from offices (Class B1) to 16 apartments (Class C3) | Floor 1, 2 And 3 Saint Nicholas Chambers Amen Corner Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 1PE

Reference 13/00601/NRE
Application Received Wed 04 Dec 2013
Address Floor 1, 2 And 3 Saint Nicholas Chambers Amen Corner Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 1PE
Proposal Notification of Prior Approval: Change of use of 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors from offices (Class B1) to 16 apartments (Class C3)
http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MXC2VXBS0EQ00

Images hosted on http://ellwood.fototime.com/The Side

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
You'd need your head examining if you were considering living there. It may be suitable for workers on nightshift. Then again the noise of trains and buses will be no joke either.

·
12,582 Posts
You'd need your head examining if you were considering living there. It may be suitable for workers on nightshift. Then again the noise of trains and buses will be no joke either.
That s insane. Of 15, 11 are studio or one bed so I d assume students [also as there s no parking]. If I were the Empress or Noosh I'd be cacking myself as I have no doubt that there will be a list of noise n pong complaints.

On an overlapping subject [may have been covered already] the owners of the Pan Hagerty bldg on Queen st want to convert the upper decks to flats.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
That s insane. Of 15, 11 are studio or one bed so I d assume students [also as there s no parking]. If I were the Empress or Noosh I'd be cacking myself as I have no doubt that there will be a list of noise n pong complaints.

On an overlapping subject [may have been covered already] the owners of the Pan Hagerty bldg on Queen st want to convert the upper decks to flats.
In that location it would be 'mater and pater' paid for students. The 'average' student, I doubt could stretch to that. Sounds like a status environment to me. Like the Hilton in Gateshead, overlooking the bridges so good for photo shoots.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,265 Posts
Former Stephen Easten Ltd, Westgate Hill Grange, 273 - 275 Westgate Road

2013/1538/01/DET | Change of use of existing office building to single dwellinghouse (Class C3) and demolition of existing industrial building to west of office. | Former Stephen Easten Ltd Westgate Hill Grange 273 - 275 Westgate Road Newcastle upon Tyne NE4 6BY

Reference 2013/1538/01/DET
Application Received Wed 10 Jul 2013
Address Former Stephen Easten Ltd Westgate Hill Grange 273 - 275 Westgate Road Newcastle upon Tyne NE4 6BY
Proposal Change of use of existing office building to single dwellinghouse (Class C3) and demolition of existing industrial building to west of office.
Status Granted Conditionally
http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MPPZWEBS0EQ00

Westgate Hill Grange was built for Mr. John Edward Bowser who was Managing Director of The Bamboro Steamship Limited.

Reading the application documents it is good to see that the Grade II Listed griifin statues are to be replaced on either side of the front doorway. They had been removed when the building became empty.

Name: 2 GRIFFINS IN FRONT OF WESTGATE GRANGE
List entry Number: 1338566
Grade: II
Date first listed: 30-Mar-1987

Details

NZ 2364 SE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE WESTGATE ROAD (south side) 18/601 2 griffins in front of Westgate Grange GV II 2 Statues. Circa 1872. Formerly finials on roof of Mining Institute, Westgate Road (q.v.). Removed in 1958 and set on steps in front of No. 271. Griffins, about one metre high, sitting upright and holding long scroll which is draped over shoulder of each.

Listing NGR: NZ2390964144
Source English Heritage @ http://list.english-heritage.org.uk/resultsingle.aspx?uid=1338566

These images of Westgate Grange taken May 2002:

Images hosted on http://ellwood.fototime.com/Westgate Road/Westgate Hill

·
Part Time Contributor
43,265 Posts

13/00601/NRE | Notification of Prior Approval: Change of use of 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors from offices (Class B1) to 16 apartments (Class C3) | Floor 1, 2 And 3 Saint Nicholas Chambers Amen Corner Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 1PE

Reference 13/00601/NRE
Address Floor 1, 2 And 3 Saint Nicholas Chambers Amen Corner Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 1PE
Proposal Notification of Prior Approval: Change of use of 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors from offices (Class B1) to 16 apartments (Class C3)
http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MXC2VXBS0EQ00

This Planning Application was refused, 20th January 2014 on these grounds:

The proposed development by virtue of the lack of onsite refuse storage arrangements for the occupiers of the proposed residential apartments would lead to conditions that would detrimentally impact on the highway contrary to advice in paragraph 35 of the National Planning Policy Framework.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,265 Posts
Former Summerhill 269 - 271 Westgate Road

Coming hot on the heels of the Former Stephen Easten Ltd Westgate Hill Grange 273 - 275 Westgate Road Planning Application highlighted the other day, the next door property is proposed for development as:

2014/0107/01/DET | Conversion of 269 and 271 Westgate Road to 11 self contained apartments (Class C3), alterations to elevations, hard and soft landscaping, provision of 6 car parking spaces and demolition of single storey outbuilding to the side 269 Westgate Road | 269 - 271 Westgate Road Newcastle upon Tyne NE4 6AH

Reference 2014/0107/01/DET
Alternative Reference PP-03056098
Application Received Mon 09 Dec 2013
Address 269 - 271 Westgate Road Newcastle upon Tyne NE4 6AH
Proposal Conversion of 269 and 271 Westgate Road to 11 self contained apartments (Class C3), alterations to elevations, hard and soft landscaping, provision of 6 car parking spaces and demolition of single storey outbuilding to the side 269 Westgate Road
http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MXJU3IBSIPS00

2014/0108/01/LBC | Listed Building Application: Alterations to elevations of 269 Westgate Road to include removal of single storey offshot and fire escape to side and making good of elevation, installation of dormer to front, internal alterations to assist creation of 4 apartments. | Former Summerhill 269 - 271 Westgate Road Newcastle upon Tyne NE4 6AH

Reference 2014/0108/01/LBC
Alternative Reference PP-03056098
Application Received Mon 09 Dec 2013
Address Former Summerhill 269 - 271 Westgate Road Newcastle upon Tyne NE4 6AH
Proposal Listed Building Application: Alterations to elevations of 269 Westgate Road to include removal of single storey offshot and fire escape to side and making good of elevation, installation of dormer to front, internal alterations to assist creation of 4 apartments.
http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MXJU3FBSIPR00

From the Heritage Statement:

269 Westgate Road (Formerly 13 Ravensworth Terrace) is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

List Entry Number: 1024802
Grade: II
Date First Listed: 29 June 1976
Description: No’s 9-13 consecutive G.V II includes No. 269 Westgate Road. Terrace of Houses. Circa 1820. English garden wall bond brick with ashlar basement and dressings; Welsh slate roofs. Basement, 3 storeys and attics, 2 bays each. Steps up to 6 panelled doors; overlight with glazing bars to No. 13 at left; fanlights elsewhere, with glazing bars to nos. 9 and 12. Door cases to nos. 11 to 13. No. 13 has fluted pilasters with entablature. Ground and first floor sill bands, top floor projecting stone sills. A single storey flat roofed extension is present to the western elevation.
National Grid Reference: NZ 23938 64129

271 Westgate Road
is not listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990. However, the building still contains many significant features, including intact doors and door sets, coving, ceiling roses and decorative pillars are all present. A three storey flat roofed extension is present to the eastern elevation that does not provide a positive contribution towards the character, appearance or significance of the surrounding conservation area.

The original fronts to the properties face Winchester Terrace where their large land-locked front gardens and strongly secluded with views surrounded by deep greenery.

In contrast, the rears which face Westgate Road, have received numerous alterations to windows and other original features. Alterations and extensions have been made to these properties as well as tarmac car parks and excessive external pipework, culminating in the dilution of character in the area. These car parks were once gardens similar to those at the front of the properties and so should be considered as a whole.

The chief aim of the project is to bring the buildings back into productive use. As the original buildings are residential in character, the brief was to convert the building back into dwellings and to provide high quality affordable accommodation for rent. A priority, given the historic heritage value of both buildings was to preserve the original fabric and remove the substantial accretion of unsympathetic later additions.

This image of the property courtesy of Google Earth:

Image hosted on http://ellwood.fototime.com/Westgate Road

·
Part Time Contributor
43,265 Posts
Quayside Lofts, The Close

2013/0601/01/DET | Change of use of ground floor commercial unit (Class A1, A2, A3, B1) to 3 self contained flats (Class C3) and alterations to elevations | Quayside Lofts The Close Newcastle upon Tyne

Reference 2013/0601/01/DET
Alternative Reference PP-02580553
Application Received Tue 23 Apr 2013
Address Quayside Lofts The Close Newcastle upon Tyne
Proposal Change of use of ground floor commercial unit (Class A1, A2, A3, B1) to 3 self contained flats (Class C3) and alterations to elevations
Status Granted Conditionally
http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MLPCD9BSAP000

Granted Conditionally - 24th June 2013.
A further Planning for the ground floor level of the Quayside Lofts:

2014/0112/01/DET | Change of use of ground floor unit to gym (Class D2). | Vacant Unit 56 Close Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 3RJ

Reference 2014/0112/01/DET
Application Received Tue 07 Jan 2014
Address Vacant Unit 56 Close Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 3RJ
Proposal Change of use of ground floor unit to gym (Class D2).
http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MZ388NBS05100

·
Part Time Contributor
43,265 Posts

Reference 13/00601/NRE
https://publicaccessapplications.newcastle.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=N04AXABS05100

I see the developer is attempting another shot at this one with a fresh Planning Application as:

14/00039/NRE | Notification of Prior Approval: Change of use of 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors from offices (Class B1) to 15 apartments (Class C3) | Floor 1, 2 And 3 Saint Nicholas Chambers Amen Corner Newcastle upon Tyne

Reference 14/00039/NRE
Application Received Mon 27 Jan 2014
Address Floor 1, 2 And 3 Saint Nicholas Chambers Amen Corner Newcastle upon Tyne
Proposal Notification of Prior Approval: Change of use of 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors from offices (Class B1) to 15 apartments (Class C3)
http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=N04AXABS05100

·
Part Time Contributor
43,265 Posts
1 - 3 Saint James Terrace, Newcastle upon Tyne

2014/0191/01/DET | Conversion from office accommodation (Class B1) to 10 flats (Class C3/C4), erection of dormer windows to south, installation of rooflights, creation of external light wells and provision of hard landscaping, car parking (8 spaces) and cycle parking (spaces) | 1 - 3 Saint James Terrace Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 4NE

Reference 2014/0191/01/DET
Alternative Reference 2014/0189/INV
Application Received Mon 03 Feb 2014
Address 1 - 3 Saint James Terrace Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 4NE
Proposal Conversion from office accommodation (Class B1) to 10 flats (Class C3/C4), erection of dormer windows to south, installation of rooflights, creation of external light wells and provision of hard landscaping, car parking (8 spaces) and cycle parking (spaces)
http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=N0FJCRBSJIY00

2014/0192/01/LBC | Listed Building Application: Partial demolition and alterations to structural walls, erection of partition walls and staircases, creation of external lightwells, erection of dormer windows to south and installation of rooflights for conversion from office accommodation to 10 flats | 1 - 3 Saint James Terrace Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 4NE

Reference 2014/0192/01/LBC
Alternative Reference PP-03166365
Application Received Mon 03 Feb 2014
Address 1 - 3 Saint James Terrace Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 4NE
Proposal Listed Building Application: Partial demolition and alterations to structural walls, erection of partition walls and staircases, creation of external lightwells, erection of dormer windows to south and installation of rooflights for conversion from office accommodation to 10 flats
http://publicaccess.newcastle.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=N0FJCOBSJIX00

This is the location, image courtesy of the Design and Access Statement - MawsonKerr Architects

Backgound:

We have been instructed by our client St James’ Central Ltd to submit an application for internal alterations to a listed building at St James Terrace / St James Street. Mawson Kerr Architects have been appointed to look at returning the building to residential occupancy, whilst retaining the original character of the former residential properties.
The buildings are Grade II listed and are situated within Newcastle’s Leazes Conservation Area therefore listed planning consent is required with the associated Design and Access Statement. We have incorporated the heritage statement within the design and access statement. There are very limited external alterations proposed to the buildings

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Anyone know what's happening with the older flats on Waterloo Street? I noticed scaffolding up the other day. Is it just window replacement or something more extensive (including internally)?

121 - 140 of 746 Posts