Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bar I work at is having lease issues, and they are trying to get permits to renovate. An "insider" told me we won't get these permits because of a city code that says establishments must have parking. I'm calling bullshit on this and I was hoping if anyone could give me information on wether or not it's true. This is the dubliner on Howard and azeele, we don't have parking, and we've never had an issue with business, people walk here from parking spots around the neighborhood.

·
Senior Button Pusher
17,165 Posts
http://www.municode.com/Library/FL/Tampa

The zoning code in question is 27-237.

Sec. 27-237. Off-street parking required.
(a) In all districts for industrial, commercial, office, residential or any other use, there shall be provided, at the time any new building is erected, any use of a building or land is enlarged by five hundred (500) square feet or five (5) percent whichever is greater, or increased in intensity or any other use or change of use established, off-street parking spaces for automobiles in accordance with requirements herein. However, if the required number of functional spaces can be met by an existing parking area, the improvements described in section 27-246(d), (e), (h), and (k) shall not be required.
I worked on an identical case for Cappy's Pizza when they opened in Seminole Heights. They got around the parking issue by seeking a rezoning to what's called 'PD' (Planned Development), which allows city officials greater flexibility with enforcing certain codes, like parking. Cappy's also leased the rights to several spaces on a nearby property which is closed in the evening.

·
Registered
946 Posts
http://www.municode.com/Library/FL/Tampa

The zoning code in question is 27-237.

I worked on an identical case for Cappy's Pizza when they opened in Seminole Heights. They got around the parking issue by seeking a rezoning to what's called 'PD' (Planned Development), which allows city officials greater flexibility with enforcing certain codes, like parking. Cappy's also leased the rights to several spaces on a nearby property which is closed in the evening.
You beat me to it. Currently the zoning for that building requires .25 "spaces person, according to the maximum capacity as determined by the City of Tampa Building/Life Safety Code" so any expansion that is the size that Jason notes would increase with it. However, note it is also inside the SoHo overlay, which means there are specific requirements that any additional parking would have to meet as well. That is found in 27-461.

Jason is dead on, the owner would have to come in for a planned development. Ironically, the City Council is arguing about parking for a Planned Development that will become the Berns hotel. The comunity will have to be on board.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Don't fix it up too much and you don't need more parking. There is a threshold amount of renovations that triggers real review. Just the City making sure nothing ever gets fixed. Funny how south Tampa fights urbanization when it is in south Tampa.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe all the renovations are inside the building projects, no expansion or anything that would lead the building to be able to hold more people.

So to be clear they do or don't need location specific parking? And if that answer is yes, is there a way around it. Sorry I need it all dumbed down.

·
Registered
946 Posts
If the building/property isn't being altered as Jason noted, and it isn't receiving major renovations (>51% of assessed value), you shouldn't have to conform with the current parking regulations.
Exactly if you don't meet those requirements, then no you don't need to expand parking.

·
Senior Button Pusher
17,165 Posts
Any general contractor that he would be seeking bids from should already know this stuff right off the top of their heads. Or the owner can consult with the city to find out for sure before he even goes that far.

Tampa Construction Services
813-274-3100 (main line)

He needs to ask for someone in permitting to inquire about a plan review. He tells them what he wants to do, and they tell him what he has to apply for or not and what the process is.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am completely befuddled by the city's parking ordinance. It's a public street, paid for by taxpayers, but a homeowner has the right to decide if they only want people to park there for five minutes?!?!?!?!? I don't understand how this is even legal, and it's another perfect example of the small town mindset Tampa has that prevents it from actually developing into a city.

·
User Extraordinaire
83 Posts
I live at Shirr Marr apartments at Hills & Nance in hyde park. Parking is a nightmare. The building only has 5 parking spaces for 8 units, leaving te rest of us to park on the street, but when every street and corner says No Parking or "5 Minute Parking" it makes it impossible. I am opposed to these parking restriction. This is a city with half a million people, Hyde Park is a dense area... Can we not have space to park?

·
Designer, 1404designs
1,117 Posts
Even LA just changed their zoning codes that if you are within X distance of a main transit route you can offset upwards of 20% of the parking requirements with bicycle parking. Its a growing trend.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.