1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
10,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
City Council To Discuss SoHo Parking Permits
By MARK HOLAN
The Tampa Tribune
Published: May 21, 2008

TAMPA - The Tampa City Council on Thursday will discuss the possibility of creating residential parking permits for portions of SoHo and West Tampa.

The workshop begins at 10 a.m. at city hall, 315 E. Kennedy Blvd.

The proposal could be modeled on 2-year-old residential permit plans in Ybor City and the Channel District, which restrict parking starting at 6 p.m. and 9 p.m., respectively.

"It's a relatively new concept for Tampa," city parking manager Jim Corbett said. "As urban-infill development continues to happen, it's something we may need more and more."

SoHo residents in particular have been bothered by parking overflow from businesses on South Howard Avenue. Some have posted signs and called police to enforce the city's 5-minute parking rule in front of residential property.

The council also will discuss creating additional on-street parking in the block bordered by Platt, Azeele and Cleveland streets and Swann Avenue.

Reporter Mark Holan can be reached at (813) 835-2102 or [email protected].

http://southtampa2.tbo.com/content/2008/may/21/city-council-discuss-soho-parking-permits/?news

·
Registered
279 Posts
I first moved to SOHO 11yrs ago. They were promising a parking garage, widening sidewalks and creating a much nicer street scape for Howard. They have installed nice light posts and faux brick cross walks.Nothing else. In the mean time the city has built two garages for Ybor.

Tommy Ortiz had said at a meeting 2 weeks back, he had bought the property at the S.W. corner of Cleveland and Howard. He claims he has spoke with the city about leasing it to them, for a dollar a year, if they are willing to put a parking garage there. He claims they were very receptive. So, we shall see

·
Registered
571 Posts
Its retarded there is no garage there. I think they should put a garage where the surface parking lot is next to the extreme fitness because you can enter from howard, and there are two back roads that let you drive behind the sweetbay and behind the gym. I also wish we had commuter rail on that line too because there is a crossing of the rail line next to the crosstown. When Tampa had that Regio Sprinter train I used that stop all the time, its only a few blocks from my parents house. I also think the lighting and sidewalks could be better. Its too bad there is not connectivity between Hyde Park and SOHO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.