129 - Casablanca : 33 $bn
130 - Luanda : 33 $bn
141 - Kinshasha : 17 $bn
145 - Abidjan : 13 $bn
146 - Addis Ababa : 12 $bn
147 - Nairobi : 12 $bn
150 - Kano : 9 $bn
151 - Dar es Salaam : 8 $bn

https://www.ukmediacentre.pwc.com/imagelibrary/downloadMedia.ashx?MediaDetailsID=1562

·
15,239 Posts
So it is Cairo,Cape town, Jo bourg , Lagos, Algiers, and housewhite for Africa in 2025?
I bet those predictions are outright wrong.

·
Banned
16,927 Posts
So Addis is projected to be the 5th fastest growing city in the world.

Optimus, you missed Alexandria, Khartoum, etc. Or did you intentionally focus on some cities?

99 -East Rand
111 - Alexandria
126 - Khartoum
129 - Casablanca

30 - Cairo
56 - Johannesburg
63 - Cape Town
93 - Alexandria
99 - Lagos
101 - East Rand
104 - Algiers
107 - Luanda
110 - Khartoum
125 - Casablanca
139 - Kinshasa
144 - Addis Ababa
145 - Nairobi
146 - Abidjan
147 - Kano
148 - Dar Es Salaam

·
Registered
14,725 Posts
:cheers:

Now if only Cairo's wealth was managed properly...

Hoping to see Cairo develop into a breathing metropolis, with world-class infrastructure and transport, just need the right leadership.

·
Still Comin' Out Strong
16,190 Posts
I bet these predictions were made a few years back. They seem too low for 15 years away, imo. The only city who's 2025 gdp and growth rate I was satisfied w/ was Cairo.
Other than that, I think Lagos will be ranked between 60-80. I find it odd that it's ranked 99 in 2025 w/ Eko Atlantic City and Lekki Free Trade Zone almost fully completed by then. Not to mention its population in 15 years will probably be around 20-30 million, and I'm more than positive that right now it's the gateway to Nigeria for most foreign companies. All of this together and its gdp will solely be $100 billion? When Nigeria's growth rate takes off in the next year or two, Lagos will take off too. Not to mention 4 more years of Fashola to go along w/ that.

For other African cities, well, a little disappointed with SA's cities gdp estimates. Specifically with their growth rates. Casablanca was also another surprise. $68 billion gdp in 2025? Is that a good or bad number for the city? :dunno:
Also, Addis's seems to be a bit low. I read an article posted in the Ethiopia section a few weeks ago (it was old) that said Ethiopia's gdp may reach $500 billion by 2025. So Addis being only $37 billion...hmmm, I thought it was Ethiopia's economic center. :sly:

·
Banned
16,927 Posts
^^ I also thought they were a bit low for African countries (not the others).
Ernst and Young projects a GDP (PPP) of $400 billion in 2025. If that is true, then GDP (PPP) of Addis should be much more than $37 billion. OTOH, we can hope that they mean that other cities will boom and create most of the wealth, although I highly doubt it! However, by 2050, Ethiopia will need 20 cities with 5 million+ inhabitants according to recent studies, so maybe it's not that far-fetched. :lol:

·
15,239 Posts
Ah!! Kano is on the list :banana:
Kano higher that Dar-Es-Salaam....JEEZ!!!
What is Tanzania doing? I'm disappointed.

·
Registered
17,043 Posts
These predictions are ridiculous. Its impossible to predict that far ahead. I suspect Lagos will be much higher than they estimated.

·
Banned
2,580 Posts
Johannesburg is first! East Rand is a suburban area of Johannesburg.

Johannesburg is 164 $bn

·
Surprisingly optimistic!
12,831 Posts
^^ I also thought they were a bit low for African countries (not the others).
Ernst and Young projects a GDP (PPP) of $400 billion in 2025. If that is true, then GDP (PPP) of Addis should be much more than $37 billion. OTOH, we can hope that they mean that other cities will boom and create most of the wealth, although I highly doubt it! However, by 2050, Ethiopia will need 20 cities with 5 million+ inhabitants according to recent studies, so maybe it's not that far-fetched. :lol:
You just come here and state the stats I was going to mention... :lol:

Doing some math, I think I could estimate what the GDP would be. Since the current GDP of Ethiopia, PPP, is around 70 billion, and Addis is 14 billion- that's 20%. 20% of 400 is 80 billion.

·
Registered
922 Posts
If the "East Rand" at number 99 is the same East Rand in Gauteng, South Africa, then can someone please explain why it's been seperated from Johannesburg? If it's the same East Rand, then Johannesburg's total should be the combined value of both.....

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
im hoping lagos' population doesnt reach even 20 million let alone 25 - 30 million, that way it will be easier to manage and spread wealth and im sure gdp will be higher as a lot of things are taking place there that should be able boost the economy to the extent where it is at least a few 100 billion dollars. if you combine the current formal economy and the grey economy it is already at that level so dont see why the formal economy shouldnt be a few 100 billion dollars in 15 years time.

·
29,392 Posts
A City GDP per capita ranking would be more interesting.

A city like Cairo have more than 15 million inhabitants so it's normal that they are in the top.

·
Banned
16,927 Posts
^^ We can do that for the African cities listed and see where they stand.

For Addis, if we use the government figures for population (2.7 million), then it's $4444; if we use the figures most people feel is closer to the truth (around 4-5 million), then it's between $2400 and $3000. They both seem really high numbers, but most industries and services in the country are concentrated in Addis so it makes sense.

·
Banned
2,289 Posts
That chart is a lie.

Kabul is estimated at $14 Billion GDP in 2008 when all of Afghanistan's GDP for 2008 was $10 Billion. I thought they were missing a few loose screws when they put Kabul above Nairobi for 2008.

What a joke. They should check their stats at least, or use their heads a little.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts