SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here actually lives in a city centre apartment? Who here has purchased one NOT renting?

Is the experience depressing? good?
Whats the best thing about it?
Is it worth the money

Im interested in the experiences of a real tenant. After all everyone goes on about how good it is but do you really know?

Sometimes I think id like to live in sheffield city centre then other days i couldnt think of anything worse and im glad i dont. Its hardly Manchester after all.

·
Registered
739 Posts
thelynxeffect said:
Sometimes I think id like to live in sheffield city centre then other days i couldnt think of anything worse and im glad i dont. Its hardly Manchester after all.
What don't you like about it?

I don't live in an apartment in the city centre but within 10 minutes walk I ca be standing on the plaza at West One thinking, hmmm living in the city wouldn't be so bad. Having come originally from the middle of nowhere I really enjoy Sheffield and living near the city centre. though I don't have experiance of living in other cities I enjoy the fact that Sheffield can sometimes feel like a big city and sometimes feel like a small friendly welcoming place, thats what made me fall in love with it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I live just outside the city centre about 5 minutes walk from the station with most of the city centre shops and bars within a 15 minute walk. I suppose it all depends what you want from it. You're right it isn't Manchester but then that gets a bit same old same old when you've done it enough times. One of the best things about living where I do is that as well as having the city centre on my doorstep I can hop on a train for a night out in Leeds, Manchester or Nottingham all less than an hour away. Given that at times it can take you an hour to get in to Sheffield from the suburbs I think that is a definite advantage. I almost feel like I'm living the Northern Way dream!

·
Registered
102 Posts
i live in the city centre and i own my flat.

I think that walking to work and being able to come home for your lunch is priceless and that commuting is a nightmare (as ive done it in the past).

I dont have a car and and i am lucky enough to not need one, i live close to the station if i ever need to travel to shop, or go out to anywhere really is easy enough.

I like the piece and quiet of my flat, and the fact that my front door opens out onto the busy hustle and bustle of the street. I like to fact i can nip to Spar 24hrs a day if i ever need anything. I ve got the rest of my life to live in the burbs and watching the development of sheffield on a day to day first hand basis is also a bonus.

I can understand that city living gets a bad rep for undersized over priced flats but all i say is dont knock until you have tried it.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
These days a lot of the perceived advantages of living in the city centre can also be found in many suburbs - 24 hr shops, good bars and restaurants etc. But the advantages of being able to walk into work can't be overestimated.

I have a small flat 10 mins from the central station out here in Copenhagen. Even if I sold it, there's no way I'd be able to afford anything in the centre of Sheffield. UK property prices have indeed gone mad.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no thats great. I actually like the idea of being able to walk to work, bars nightlife etc but sometimes get the feeling of always watching your back. Experiences on fargate in the early evening etc why do the minority always have to ruin it for the majority. Living 2-3 miles outside the city centre is a relief some days. I like the edge of the peaks, the parks and the general safety and quietness. I spose its finding the right balance between them both.

For the person stipulating I was slating sheffield dont be daft. being actually from sheffield I uphold my right to criticise if i wish but certainly am not holding manchester over sheffield. I just like both in differnt ways. just sometimes sheffield does my nut. :bash: :cheers:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts