SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,088 Posts
I'd love to see Coventry City return to the city centre and I think the Butts is the perfect location and could be made to a suitable capacity. This would help massively in the regeneration of that area if it was to include other leisure facilities, the restoration of pubs, encourage small businesses etc..

Not really attached to the city of culture status I know, but its top of my wish list for Coventry.

Even though I'm a Villa fan and live in Solihull!
Nice one, not sure if it's feasible but I love the idea as a lifelong Sky Blues fan

· Registered
2,088 Posts
A city centre music venue for decent sized bands and other music - something like a symphony hall, which was once mooted back in the sixties, I believe. The city's heritage made more accessible and publicised, things like the Doom painting, Guild Hall and City Wall remains are fairly unique. The old Grammar school used more. More gigs in the Cathedral, bring back the old Jazz festival that was brilliant. More cycle events around the ring road... Historical Cycle tour of the city centre (In reflection of the spread out nature of things?)

I'd also try to get the film industry to make a film dramatisation of the raid if 14/11/1940.

And of course, a concert by The Specials (In the new music venue.)

Also some top quality art exhibitions at the Herbert. Perhaps a 3D holographic walk though VR of the old city? Digital stuff that could be used to build a bigger base for that sort of industry. Local people more involved with it.

As for other areas - turn the length of Foleshill Road into a thriving street of culture based on the culture of the folks who live down.

A Coventry Cryptocurrency. :)
Were you in Cov in 1990 when they did the 50th anniversary of the blitz? Playing air raid sirens with fireworks etc

· Registered
2,088 Posts
I was thinking about the possibility of a new live music venue or civic centre and the only area(s) I could think of within the ring road that could feasibly offer the amount of space required is/are occupied by numerous tenents but currently create a massive blot on the landscape. The area(s) I am thinking about border Bishop St to either side around Lamb St and Tower St., south or west of the new Bishopgate development. Btw, great ideas regarding the other stuff, NT. I'd love to see something like a Roy Lichtenstein exhibition at the Herbert or maybe Peter Blake although George Shaw would be great, too. As far as the cycling thing is concerned (not much of a cyclist myself, more into motorbiking) if you check Tripadvisor, a lot of none-Coventrians visit the city on a cycling pilgrimage to see the James Starley statue. Pretty much everyone remarks how poorly situated it is, so for my two-penneth, I would like to see his statue repositioned to a site of prominence. Music-wise, I wonder how the City of Culture award is going to affect the Godiva Festival?
The surface car park on Bishop St including the ex Pink Parrot would work as a venue I think

· Registered
2,088 Posts
Yeah terrible a rugby club that has one of biggest gates in the country! It also has done masses of community work.

And what's up with sport - cov rugby are flying. Still have ice hockey team, then there is the netball team I could go on. There is more than football.
The Wasps rugby club are vile and their community work is in pursuit of economic objectives over anything else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.