SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Concerto Grosso
8,590 Posts
A city centre music venue for decent sized bands and other music - something like a symphony hall, which was once mooted back in the sixties, I believe. The city's heritage made more accessible and publicised, things like the Doom painting, Guild Hall and City Wall remains are fairly unique. The old Grammar school used more. More gigs in the Cathedral, bring back the old Jazz festival that was brilliant. More cycle events around the ring road... Historical Cycle tour of the city centre (In reflection of the spread out nature of things?)

I'd also try to get the film industry to make a film dramatisation of the raid if 14/11/1940.

And of course, a concert by The Specials (In the new music venue.)

Also some top quality art exhibitions at the Herbert. Perhaps a 3D holographic walk though VR of the old city? Digital stuff that could be used to build a bigger base for that sort of industry. Local people more involved with it.

As for other areas - turn the length of Foleshill Road into a thriving street of culture based on the culture of the folks who live down.

A Coventry Cryptocurrency. :)

· Concerto Grosso
8,590 Posts
Were you in Cov in 1990 when they did the 50th anniversary of the blitz? Playing air raid sirens with fireworks etc
I was a student at the time, and vaguely recall stuff going on. I recall walking through the crowds to get to the pub.

I don't think I was that interested at the time, being a teenager and having only been in the city for a year or so... I got more interested when I'd been here a few years (I did 3 years at Cov, and a year at Warwick, including all summer.)

· Concerto Grosso
8,590 Posts
Possibly. But that blank wall facing the road HAS to go if it is, or an extension put further out into the free space with a more airy, active frontage - if it could be made to match the 'hidden' FoB side it'd look pretty impressive along the road.
The back side is a bit of a mess at the moment, with an abandoned 'sunken' garden, weird platforms and a bridge. It's all hidden by trees and overlooks service areas. It's just not been looked after and the garden is full of rubbish. Do these things *really* work in urban environments like this?

I don't really get what they were thinking. Where a building could have benefitted from a big window overlooking something nice (Owen Owen) we have blank walls. Then we have big windows overlooking service areas. I don't believe there was ever much of a comprehensive plan for that area, so it was probably done in dribs and drabs - and this shows!

The Elephant is interesting, and I can see why some people want to keep it, but I just think it looks... well, a bit naff.

· Concerto Grosso
8,590 Posts
The actual glass frontage is good. The trees need to go and when the university redevelop the buildings behind it needs a more sympathetic approach.
I agree. You can hardly see it.

Untitled by Bodgecity, on Flickr

It looks a bit odd where it stops and turns into a concrete plinth - as if the ground around it has been washed away to reveal foundations.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.