SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1,029 Posts
I'm not from Cov, and I'm not a Sky Blue, but I loved going to Highfield Road, a proper old school central ground, moving out was the biggest mistake in the Sky Blues history.

What's happened to the club since then has been one disaster to the next, but the loss of a home for me leaves the door of opportunity ajar. Funding from the city of culture status, council and the club, coupled with the fantastic support the team has, could/should see them return to Coventry proper.

As an outsider I was simply looking at the possibilities and the Butts Arena does stand out. Jonny you are much more knowledgeable than me, and I guess it's a case of your home or your club, I'm not sure what the alternatives are around the ring road? Football grounds and fans arent what they were, look at the london clubs. Stamford Bridge is hardly detrimental to the Borough of Chelsea, or the Emirates to Islington. Here we'd be talking about a 10k stadium to begin with, it wouldnt be drastically different to the current Butts Arena (just extended to the 3 other sides). As I said, transport infrastructure improvements, growth in small business, caterers, pubs etc... and further leisure facilities incorporated in or alongsid ethe arena would surely outweigh the negative of a large crowd once a fortnight during the winter.
I don't know Coventry all that well but having heard/seen the damage at Coventry Stadium on Midlands Today (following Coventry Speedway moving out), I just want to ask what the hell is going on with Sport in the City apart from that former London team named after irritating, buzzing, flying Wolves coloured stinging insects? The once proud Football Club is now a shadow of what it was, never mind the Speedway moving to the East Midlands! The Football/Speedway Clubs could set up a Stadium together I suppose...:cheers:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.