Entrance to St.Paul's Cathedral

Views from around the cathedral

Inside

Millenium bridge and Tate Modern gallery in a distance

Few more shots of St.Paul's

Benches

Tower 42 appears in my view

Drapers Gardens tower (middle)

The new buses which eventually should change the double decker ones (anybody knows more details about this?)

More photos in Part 2 :)

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
Fabulous thread ... the quality and variety of architecture in the City is simply wonderful. You've captured it really well.

And this is the best pic of St Paul's I've ever seen:

·
Registered
558 Posts
I can't wait for them to finish the cleaning of St Pauls, the cleaned sections look amazing!! Its going to look even more amazing once its all done. I also hope they improve the lighting at night, because its pretty lame at the moment, they need more detailed lighting highlighting the intricate stonework, more subtle colours like greens, yellows and whites too :yes:

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Great shots! Its good to see the mix of buildings and streetscapes - captures the range of buildings from the Wren churches through to the Victoriana, Edwardiana and Post war/post modern and modern.

I'm not enamoured by the new buses though, huge long things that take up more road space than any regular bus, and they do not say "London bus" like a Routemaster does. They are not fun to ride on either, have lots of standing room but relatively few seats, and swing around a lot. Give me a double decker any day!

·
Banned
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've heard one of the reasons of removing the doubledeckers is that they cost too much. Now I wonder how much more a doubledecker bus costs than ordinary long bus (like MB Citaro in the last pic)? I can't really imagine London without red doubledecker buses.

·
Urge Desire Rest
2,404 Posts
high_flyer said:
I can't wait for them to finish the cleaning of St Pauls, the cleaned sections look amazing!! Its going to look even more amazing once its all done. I also hope they improve the lighting at night, because its pretty lame at the moment, they need more detailed lighting highlighting the intricate stonework, more subtle colours like greens, yellows and whites too :yes:
i agree great pics.

For some reason I ignored this threa as I thought I'd allready seen it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
John said:
I've heard one of the reasons of removing the doubledeckers is that they cost too much. Now I wonder how much more a doubledecker bus costs than ordinary long bus (like MB Citaro in the last pic)? I can't really imagine London without red doubledecker buses.

I saw yet another of those rubbish bendy buses on fire last week on Regents Street.

·
Bada Bing!
2,368 Posts
I love this building! I always try to walk past it when I am near the city. Great photos!

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
great pics. i was surprised just how dead the city got after business hours. i got off the tube station and wandered around and saw maybe a half dozen people walking around. very apocalyptic

·
Against ID Cards
9,799 Posts
Super pictures. I sincerely hope they don't get rid of the double deckers. They are part of London's identity and look great.

·
Registered
676 Posts
The double deckers really are apart of London and you can be assured that they will not be removing them all.

In fact, they removed the older one's for safety and pollution reasons, and replaced them with these bendy ones.

The case for the bendy ones is actually quite fair... they are cleaner, cheaper, and more efficient. They have three doors to shorten stopping times, and the i think that has been teh big push. The 25 runs from Ilford, through Whitechapel, the City, to Oxford Circus and is used by many students. Upon replacing it with the bendy bus where all tickets are bought before boarding, so no one queueing up with the driver, and where there are three doors, significantly speeds up the process.

So long as there are good 'quality of life' reasons for progressing then i find it tough to look at this development in a bad light. they wont dispose of the double deckkers though, bendy busses are not needed everywhere.

Fantastic pics, the City has to be one of the most exciting collectiosn of world architecture anywhere, from 1100 to 2025, its all on display from the tiny alley's to the grander thoroughfares, alll crammed in roman style to give the most exciting walking experience i think available anywhere..... and its only set to get better....

I love the diversity, huge cathedral, tiny champagne bars, stretching groundscrapers, portland stone monoliths, gherkin skyscrapers, baroque spires, oil refinery insurance building, and a 1000 year old castle at the end of it all.

WAIT A MINUTE.......

I AM SURE THE THING SHE IS HOLDING BELONGS TO THE DEVIL!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts