SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Back home
4,227 Posts
Don't forget the actual residential PFI works in Holbeck and Little London. These are as important as any developments in Leeds at the moment and demonstrate that the redevelopment of council estates can also make a positive contribution to the urban fabric (and hopefully be transformational for the residents).

·
Back home
4,227 Posts
The scale and quality of this is getting me excited. LS6 does have a point about the similarity to Granary Wharf, but I also like the blending of the tones and the placement at varied angles, which appears to break up any monotony that such large massing could suffer. I hope Yorkshire Boy gets his wish regarding other developments popping up; Kirkstall road could become such a good gateway. I would like to see much of the original architecture along the southern side retained though, as there is some merit in many of the buildings. I'd particularly like to see the old Arla building incorporated into a modern development.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.8010239,-1.5684033,3a,90y,250.87h,86.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1suMwfDgO0DLM76BawJFZb6Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

·
Back home
4,227 Posts
The bit that Kirkstall Brewery have bought is on the opposite side of the road, was Medina Dairies after Arla moved.
Previous posts suggest not:

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co....ers-major-expansion-and-pub-s-award-1-7310745

Good news to see another Leeds based business doing well. I'm quite intrigued about the new bar and brewery shop that are to be built on the site too.
Quite a nice planning application for Kirkstall Brewery to open at 100 Kirkstall Rd, Burley submitted including an extensive refurbishment of the former dairy building.

·
Back home
4,227 Posts
I actually prefer the green space. Otherwise it becomes too dense and unwelcoming as a place to live. It's a good combination like this.

its a bit of a joke that the only real route into town is by car.
The only real route into town is on foot. The corner of the site is literally 300m from the inner ring road!

·
Back home
4,227 Posts
But the way to do green space is like this:

I disagree that this is the only way to do green space. I would find the need to have to walk a distance through traffic for my 'own' green space something of a drag. And I've spent much time in the area of this particular image and find many of the green spaces underused and some even locked. You can't include Hyde Park in your example as it's one of the great parks of the capital, not some local green space specifically for the benefit of the residents. The vast majority of the residents in that shot look out only onto other buildings. City Reach aims to break up such monotony. I don't think there's any point trying to compare any of this to the council estate in the last shot.

·
Back home
4,227 Posts

·
Back home
4,227 Posts
It doesn't have to. With this scheme built along with new developments on the Yorkshire Post site and ideally one day the West Street surface car park this area will begin to resemble a cohesive urban area flowing from Wellington Street with the river/canal to the south and Woodhouse to the north.
Absolutely agree. I'm not sure why people believe that four lanes of road present such an insurmountable barrier in Leeds, whereas urban areas the world over manage to span them with ease and actually encompass them as part of the architecture of a city.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts