SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Quite a nice surprise. I think the fact they're suggesting a redesign is interesting, the City Reach design would have been fairly easy to throw up and split off 35% as affordable housing, so it makes you wonder what they have in mind. I'm aware of Clarion's existence, so I'm in two minds about this.

Negative mindset - They're redesigning the plot to include more affordable housing and make as much money of out this site as possible. Lets be honest, the plot is big enough to include a lot of housing.

Positive mindset - Clarion was partly behind Chronicle Tower in Islington (previously called Lexicon), from a quick scan around it seems it was a joint venture between them and another developer. I refuse to post a photo of it on here and jinx it, but it would look great on Kirkstall Rd :)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Paris approach with the Boulevard Périphérique (its ring road basically), demonstrates what can be done with some creative thinking. They've built a tunnel and put a lake on top in one section. That's obviously never going to happen in Leeds, but busy roads don't need to be barriers. or you drop everything to the street level and have a road like the Avenues in New York.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm really interested to see how this turns out, but my gut instinct is there is still too much wasted space, moving two/three of the buildings or making others higher, could have created a fantastic pocket park right by the water.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Looks to me like there is a park by the water?

Subliving.
I'm probably splitting hairs, but I just think with some realignments of buildings it could have looked more like a pocket park than a strip of park along the water. The green corridors could turn out great for liveability for residents rather than overlooking Kirkstall Rd.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts